Kz305 help please!

• Simonsayshelp
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
07 Oct 2016 05:09 #744675 by Simonsayshelp
Kz305 help please! was created by Simonsayshelp
Hey guys, brand new to the forum was hoping someone can help me. So I bought this 1982 kz305 that supposedly needed a carb clean and a battery so I got a battery and cleaned out the carbs. Won't really fire up, only the left cylinder is healthily running. The right, not so much. Must've cleaned the carbs 3-4 times, called the guy I bought it from said check the points. I go in and the whole plates corroded and I thought wow that's a easy fix. Went on eBay and bought a good points plate and gapped it (hopefully the right way I put the .33 feeler Inbetween the gaps and loosened the screws to let the point close on the feeler.) that didn't really do much. If I rev the bike it misses and pops on the right cylinder, can't get over like 6 grand and it's got no power. If I ignore the feeler gauge and adjust it myself I can get it closer but not close enough. It won't idle on the right and only fires up if I rev it to like 3 grand then it'll start popping and missing but none the less firing up. I've spent 3 weeks straight attempting to get this running and I'm stumped. Coils are good considering the spark is strong and blue on both. Please help much appreciated

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Oct 2016 05:21 #744677 by Nessism
Replied by Nessism on topic Kz305 help please!
Is the airbox installed with a filter inside? When you cleaned the carbs did you remove the pilot jet and hold them up to a light to make sure the orifice is open? How far open are the pilot screws? Did you remove the pilot screws and make sure the passages are all open?

• Simonsayshelp
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
07 Oct 2016 05:39 #744679 by Simonsayshelp
Replied by Simonsayshelp on topic Kz305 help please!
Hi thank you for your reply, yes all jets are clear along with all passages I used a full can of carb cleaner. It's running pods and is jetted for it (previous owners words) also does not run off of choke will for about 4 seconds and then it'll make some air sucking noises and die until choke goes back on.

More
07 Oct 2016 08:19 - 07 Oct 2016 08:20 #744688 by Nessism
Replied by Nessism on topic Kz305 help please!
You didn't answer my questions: did you hold the pilot jets up to a light to be sure they are clear and how far open are the pilot screws?

Regarding the pods and jetting, good luck with that.
Last edit: 07 Oct 2016 08:20 by Nessism.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
07 Oct 2016 18:57 #744722 by SWest

• Simonsayshelp
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
07 Oct 2016 22:46 #744734 by Simonsayshelp
Replied by Simonsayshelp on topic Kz305 help please!
Sorry, yes you can see a perfect hole through the jets. All of them. Will pull carbs again tomorrow and check out the right one see if I notice any problems I'm pretty good with carbs. I'm young but have had more bikes than anyone I know. This bike is really just a stumper.

• TexasKZ
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
More
08 Oct 2016 06:49 #744752 by TexasKZ
Replied by TexasKZ on topic Kz305 help please!
Has the fuel level in both carbs been properly set with the clear tube method?
Are the diaphragms free of cracks and tears? Are they really flexible?
Are the carb holders soft and free of cracks?
Has valve lash been checked and brought into spec?
I would not trust the method of setting the points that you mention, but that may be my own prejudice.
Are the spark plugs, caps and wires in good shape?
Getting those carbs to work smoothly with individual filters can be quite a challenge, so getting all the tuneup items to factory spec first is essential before diving into jetting and such.

1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough

More
09 Oct 2016 06:35 - 09 Oct 2016 06:38 #744842 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic Kz305 help please!
Have you tried swapping the coils?

Even though you have good spark in open air tests, there could be something wrong under pressure or heat. If the carbs don't pan out, maybe try swapping coils if its easy.
Last edit: 09 Oct 2016 06:38 by loudhvx.

More
09 Oct 2016 11:48 #744856 by Davidkz1r
Replied by Davidkz1r on topic Kz305 help please!
You need to make sure the points gap is correct on the left cylinder, and adjust the timing by moving the back plate, once that is set to the correct fire ring point, set the points gap to the right cylinder and then check the timing on that cylinder by adjusting the point gap, don't move the back plate on that cylinder, then use a timing light to check, if it does not run right at revs check the advance unit it free moving. Hope this helps