Broken spark plug in Z1 head

More
13 Sep 2016 18:07 #742125 by woodman260
Broken spark plug in Z1 head was created by woodman260
So I picked up a Z1 900 engine for $50 and some other parts to boot. That is great because I need a head for another motor. I got the head off but one of the spark plugs broke due to being very rusty. I drilled out the center and tried using an EZ Out to remove it. No dice. I used copious amounts of penetrating oil. No dice. Anyone know another method. Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Sep 2016 18:20 #742128 by moneypit
Replied by moneypit on topic Broken spark plug in Z1 head
Could try some heat.

2-76 kz900
St Paul MN

• slmjim+Z1BEBE
  • User
  • Enjoy Life! IT HAS AN EXPIRATION DATE!
More
13 Sep 2016 18:25 #742129 by slmjim+Z1BEBE
Replied by slmjim+Z1BEBE on topic Broken spark plug in Z1 head
Stir up some 1/2 & 1/2 acetone and ATF, aka MMF, for Magical Mystery Fluid.. Put the head somewhere that you will pass by it often. Apply MMF to both ends every time you pass by. I'd give it a couple of weeks to a month. Then heat the head to 300 - 350 F in an oven. Try the easy out then.

From Machinist' Workshop Magazine circa 2007:
"Machinist’s Workshop MagTM recently published some information on various penetrating oils that I found very interesting. Some of you might appreciate this. The magazine reports they tested penetrates for break out torque on rusted nuts.
They are below, as forwarded by an ex-student and professional machinist. They arranged a subjective test of all the popular penetrates with the control being the torque required to remove the nut from a “scientifically rusted” environment.
*Penetrating oil .......... Average load*
None ........................... 516 pounds
WD-40 ..................... ... 238 pounds
PB Blaster .................... 214 pounds
Liquid Wrench ............... 127 pounds
Kano Kroil .................... 106 pounds
ATF*-Acetone mix...............53 pounds

The ATF-Acetone mix was a “home brew” mix of 50 - 50 automatic transmission fluid and acetone. Note the “home brew” was better than any commercial product in this one particular test.
Our local machinist group mixed up a batch and we all now use it with equally good results. Note also that “Liquid Wrench” is almost as good as “Kroil” for about 20% of the price.
Steve from Godwin-Singer says that ATF-Acetone mix is the best and you can also use ATF- lacquer thinner 50 - 50 mix.
*AFT=Automatic Transmission Fluid"

Good Ridin'
slmjim & Z1BEBE

A biker looks at your engine and chrome.
A Rider looks at your odometer and tags.

1973 ('72 builds) Z1 x2
1974 Z1-A x2
1975 Z1-B x2
1993 CB 750 Nighthawk x2
2009 ST1300A

www.kawasaki-z-classik.com
An enthusiast's forum focused exclusively
on all things Z1, Z2 and KZ900.

More
13 Sep 2016 18:53 #742132 by woodman260
Replied by woodman260 on topic Broken spark plug in Z1 head
Ok, will try that. What if I mix up enough MMF to put in a bucket to soak the head? Its not going to eat the head or anything is it? :P

More
13 Sep 2016 19:22 #742137 by missionkz
Replied by missionkz on topic Broken spark plug in Z1 head
I've been using my own mix of ATF and
Acetone for over 40 years.
I even use it to clean freshly machined engine parts such as rebores, crank grinds... etc.

Bruce
1977 KZ1000A1
2016 Triumph T120 Bonneville
Far North East Metro Denver Colorado

• slmjim+Z1BEBE
  • User
  • Enjoy Life! IT HAS AN EXPIRATION DATE!
More
13 Sep 2016 19:33 #742139 by slmjim+Z1BEBE
Replied by slmjim+Z1BEBE on topic Broken spark plug in Z1 head

woodman260 wrote: Ok, will try that. What if I mix up enough MMF to put in a bucket to soak the head? Its not going to eat the head or anything is it? :P

Acetone is extremely volatile. That component would evaporate from the bucket in a matter of hours, leaving only the ATF. Keep the container of MMF tightly capped to prevent thr acetone from disappearing. Acetone is extremely flammable. Treat it as such.

MMF will not damage or stain aluminum.

Good Ridin'
slmjim & Z1BEBE

A biker looks at your engine and chrome.
A Rider looks at your odometer and tags.

1973 ('72 builds) Z1 x2
1974 Z1-A x2
1975 Z1-B x2
1993 CB 750 Nighthawk x2
2009 ST1300A

www.kawasaki-z-classik.com
An enthusiast's forum focused exclusively
on all things Z1, Z2 and KZ900.

• z1kzonly
  • User
  • Sustaining Member
More
13 Sep 2016 19:43 #742144 by z1kzonly
Replied by z1kzonly on topic Broken spark plug in Z1 head
Jig the head up in an old Bridgeport Mill, drill the metal out of plug hole .
Buy a Ford 4.6, 5.4 Triton engine spark plug repair kit. Install the inserts.
Do all 4 while your at it. I have 3 heads on the bench waiting for me to fix one of these years! :lol: :lol:

Livin in "CheektaVegas, NY
Went thru 25 of these in 40 yrs.
I SOLD OUT! THE KAW BARN IS EMPTY.
More room for The Old Girl, Harley 75 FLH Electra Glide,
Old faithful! Points ign. Bendix Orig. carb.
Starts everytime!

• Kray-Z
  • User
  • I need more power Scotty....
More
13 Sep 2016 21:20 #742148 by Kray-Z
Replied by Kray-Z on topic Broken spark plug in Z1 head
I'll have to try the MMF soon.....

In the meanwhile.....the easy out design isn't / doesn't because of an inherent design flaw with them....in order to grip the broken piece of fastener, those tapered and pointed things like the squares, the spirals, the six point wedges, all have to put outward force on the broken screw, which expands it in the hole and just locks it even tighter against the threads you need to preserve. On something big like a spark plug, were the hole runs straight thru it, I would carefully file two notches / slots 180 deg. apart and stick a giant flat screwdriver in, one that has a square shank or a bolster that accepts a wrench near the handle, and just fits in the slots w/o having to be driven in with a hammer. Then all the force you put into twisting will go toward turning the broken piece, and not so much trying to wedge it even tighter into the outside threads....

2-04 R1, 81 CSR1000, 81 LTD1000, 2-83 GPz1100, 3-79CBX, 81 CBX, 3-XS650, 84 Venture, +parts
Quote "speed costs money...how fast do you want to go?" (Which Z movie?)
Universal formula for how many motorcycles one should own = n + 1, where n is how many motorcycles you own right now....

More
26 Sep 2016 11:31 #743608 by woodman260
Replied by woodman260 on topic Broken spark plug in Z1 head
Well thought I would get ballsy and try drilling it out and use a tap to clean out the threads and hope to save them. So I kept drilling it out bigger and bigger. I was scared I would ruin the threads. I drilled until I was a C- hair away from the threads, I then took a punch and pushed an edge of the remains of the spark plug in enough for a pair of needle nose pliers to grip. I pulled and unraveled the remains of the spark plug sleeve. It was beautiful. Threads were left if perfect condition....and I did not even need the tap! I was very happy with these results. Thanks for all the advice.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
26 Sep 2016 11:44 #743609 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic Broken spark plug in Z1 head
I've found that's the best way of going about it.
Steve

More
26 Sep 2016 12:32 - 26 Sep 2016 12:33 #743613 by westmiltonfab
Replied by westmiltonfab on topic Broken spark plug in Z1 head
That is all great information. Thanks I have learned a lot. One could also heat the head and then apply dry ice to the broken part.

They use that process out in the field for removing bearings and sleeves to fix heavy equipment where mechanical presses aren't available.
Glad you got it out!
Bill

1980 Kz1000 A4 21000 miles
2005 Road King 150,000 miles
1968 CL125 Honda 11,000 Miles
Last edit: 26 Sep 2016 12:33 by westmiltonfab.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
26 Sep 2016 13:03 #743615 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic Broken spark plug in Z1 head
Keyboard spray is a good tool too. I gave away three cans, I shouldn't have, I could have used it on the roof of my truck where it has a big dent I can't get to. Now I'll have to buy some more. :(
Steve