vibration issue with my KZ750m1 twin

• Captainkiwi
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Vrooooooooom
More
17 Aug 2016 13:47 #739030 by Captainkiwi
vibration issue with my KZ750m1 twin was created by Captainkiwi
hey Guys.....I'm wondering if anyone can help me figure out why my bike vibrates when i get it up past 50mph runs reasonably smooth up to 50mph but then it vibrates a lot more as i get it up to around 60mph. this is my first time riding the 750 twin is it just the nature of the beast or is there an issue I should be looking into

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
17 Aug 2016 14:13 #739031 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic vibration issue with my KZ750m1 twin
Do you have a manual? Might be the counter balancer starting to fail. They do vibrate though.
Steve
The following user(s) said Thank You: Captainkiwi

• Captainkiwi
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Vrooooooooom
More
17 Aug 2016 14:27 #739033 by Captainkiwi
Replied by Captainkiwi on topic vibration issue with my KZ750m1 twin
thanks Steve and yes I do have a manual i will do some reading and see if i have a problem Huston ....or is it just that I am unfamiliar with the way that that the 750 twin runs.....I was told they are a bit rattly ....but have been wondering if it is more than that in my case ......I'll get back to you once I have done some more research on the issue
The following user(s) said Thank You: SWest

More
17 Aug 2016 14:38 #739034 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic vibration issue with my KZ750m1 twin
Engine vibrations are related to the engine's RPM rather than the bike's speed in MPH. The engine doesn't really care about what speed the bike is traveling. Try this - gradually accelerate the bike in 1st gear and see if the vibrations occur. If so, note the RPM at which they occur. Then do the same in 2nd, 3rd, etc. and see if the vibrations occur at roughly the same RPM. If so, the vibrations are engine related.

If the bike vibrates above a given MPH regardless of the engine's RPM the odds are you have a problem with the bike such as bad tires, bad swing arm bushings, bad steering stem bearings, etc. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

• Captainkiwi
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Vrooooooooom
More
18 Aug 2016 05:10 #739094 by Captainkiwi
Replied by Captainkiwi on topic vibration issue with my KZ750m1 twin
tires are good checked swing arm when I broke it down just after i got it ....will test out as you suggest today and get back to you

More
18 Aug 2016 19:07 #739182 by missionkz
Replied by missionkz on topic vibration issue with my KZ750m1 twin
My old KZ750B Twin vibrated like crazy at 5000rpm and above.
Anything below that was simply fine and what a great, in and out of the city "cruiser" at 2500-3500 rpm in 5th gear.
I found that putting a 1 tooth smaller counter shaft sprocket on with my stock air cleaner, one jet up-size in the CVs and a Kerker 2:1 header, made the silly thing quite fun to drive around town on.

Bruce
1977 KZ1000A1
2016 Triumph T120 Bonneville
Far North East Metro Denver Colorado

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
18 Aug 2016 19:26 #739186 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic vibration issue with my KZ750m1 twin
For open HWY one tooth more on the countershaft sprocket will lower the RPM 500. Good torque so it shouldn't slow it down much.
Steve

More
18 Aug 2016 23:49 #739210 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic vibration issue with my KZ750m1 twin

650ed wrote: Engine vibrations are related to the engine's RPM rather than the bike's speed in MPH. The engine doesn't really care about what speed the bike is traveling. Try this - gradually accelerate the bike in 1st gear and see if the vibrations occur. If so, note the RPM at which they occur. Then do the same in 2nd, 3rd, etc. and see if the vibrations occur at roughly the same RPM. If so, the vibrations are engine related.

If the bike vibrates above a given MPH regardless of the engine's RPM the odds are you have a problem with the bike such as bad tires, bad swing arm bushings, bad steering stem bearings, etc. Ed

Easier way: just get it cruising wherever the vibration is the most noticeable and then suddenly pull in the clutch and let off the gas. If vibration stops, it's the engine. I knew this idiot who kept rebalancing the tires because of the vibration right around 60 - 65 mph....... :lol:

And yes the twins have harmonic vibration in the 3500 - 4000 range as I recall. Gets worse with age as the balancer assembly wears and loosens up.

1979 KZ-750 Twin
The following user(s) said Thank You: 650ed, Captainkiwi

More
18 Aug 2016 23:52 #739211 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic vibration issue with my KZ750m1 twin

swest wrote: For open HWY one tooth more on the countershaft sprocket will lower the RPM 500. Good torque so it shouldn't slow it down much.
Steve

I ran my 750 twin with the rear sprocket reduced from 38T to 32T for about 20 years. Ran fine, but I only weigh 160 and don't drag race much. Lowered the RMP at 70 mph from 5k to 4200.

1979 KZ-750 Twin