Change after shimming

More
01 Aug 2016 15:09 #736983 by Mapletree
Change after shimming was created by Mapletree
Hello, hope all are doing good. I own an 83 specter 750, last week I re-shimmed because off clearence's (basically, most of the valves had no clearence) and now the bike is burning oil pretty badly. Did I disrupt valve seals? Because the valves are lifting higher, am I hitting worn spots on the guides? Prior to doing this the bike had fantastic compression, so I have sorta ruled out a piston ring problems, however it does appear to get heavier as she gets warmer. Has anyone encountered a similar problem after a valve adjustment? Or maybe other ideas? Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Bozo
  • Sustaining Member
  • Ride it like u stole it
More
01 Aug 2016 16:18 - 01 Aug 2016 16:19 #736985 by Bozo
Replied by Bozo on topic Change after shimming
If the valves were tight and now they are correct the seal would not be going onto a less worn on "dirty" area. What might've damaged the seals when the shim adjuster was used to push the valve down further onto the "dirty/ carboned" area. How old is the engine maybe the guides are loose? etc

First Permanent ride the Z1R since Dec1977 (220,000km) as of June 2015
Second permanent bike 1989 FJ1200 dyno'd 140RWH, great bike.
Third ride is now the Frankenstein 1981 GPZ1100B1, 1983 fully recon motor fitted LOVE THIS BIKE
Forth my work bike FJ1200 1989 (same type as FJ above)
Last edit: 01 Aug 2016 16:19 by Bozo. Reason: correction

More
01 Aug 2016 17:56 #737004 by Mapletree
Replied by Mapletree on topic Change after shimming
It is a 1983, with just under 12k miles, it is my suspicion that the shims where never changed, but I also question why i had absolutely no clearance on 5 of the 8 and the other three were nominal. Anyways, thanks for your response and i agree with you, i am going to order some new seals and change em out, it is the more probable cause. If not we will do the guides next. Again thanks

• Kray-Z
  • User
  • I need more power Scotty....
More
01 Aug 2016 18:29 #737007 by Kray-Z
Replied by Kray-Z on topic Change after shimming
Hi,

Very odd that 5 out of 8 valves had zero clearance at only 12K miles....especially if you never noticed a problem before. Even weirder is that a valve adjustment has caused it to start burning oil.

Maybe check the air filter and air box, and crankcase vent / breather for blockage. Also, when checking valve clearances, I make sure to push the valve lifter (bucket) down and insert the minimum feeler gauge, then release and check if the gauge can slide easily or is tight. Why that way? Because sometimes the lifter isn't down all the way (held to the bore or cam base circle by oil film suction or just stuck in the bore slightly). Really - I've had valves that first appeared like they were too tight actually measure well within specification after making sure the bucket was down properly.

If you do end up pulling the head off for only new valve stem seals, don't forget to check for valve seat leaks using the old solvent in the combustion chamber trick before re-installing the head...

2-04 R1, 81 CSR1000, 81 LTD1000, 2-83 GPz1100, 3-79CBX, 81 CBX, 3-XS650, 84 Venture, +parts
Quote "speed costs money...how fast do you want to go?" (Which Z movie?)
Universal formula for how many motorcycles one should own = n + 1, where n is how many motorcycles you own right now....

More
01 Aug 2016 19:19 #737013 by Mapletree
Replied by Mapletree on topic Change after shimming
Kray, you are right, it is odd. I purchased this bike last fall as a project. It was laid down some years ago, then sat for a long time. When all the dust settles. I am starting to believe that it might have a slightly bent valve or even two. which might explain why the proper valve clearance is causing oil passage. i was going to just perform a seal replacement, but tomorrow I think i am just going to remove the head and know for sure. Btw, i have been around a working end of many mechanical endeavors but have never heard of "the old solvent in the combustion chamber trick" if you got a moment can you explain, sounds like it might benefit my bike project....Again thanks

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
01 Aug 2016 19:59 #737017 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic Change after shimming
Stand the head on one side and fill the ports with solvent, gas, etc and see if the valves leak.
Steve

More
01 Aug 2016 21:12 #737028 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Change after shimming

Mapletree wrote: It is a 1983, with just under 12k miles, it is my suspicion that the shims where never changed, but I also question why i had absolutely no clearance on 5 of the 8 and the other three were nominal.

because nobody ever checked them.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

• Kray-Z
  • User
  • I need more power Scotty....
More
01 Aug 2016 21:13 #737029 by Kray-Z
Replied by Kray-Z on topic Change after shimming

swest wrote: Stand the head on one side and fill the ports with solvent, gas, etc and see if the valves leak.
Steve

Yes, that's about it...spark plugs and valves installed, put the head upside down on a flat surface and fill the combustion chambers completely with solvent (but not something that evaporates quickly - use a high flash point solvent, kerosene or diesel fuel) . Wait an hour and check if the liquid level has dropped to see how much has leaked out, if any. Look for solvent wetting the ports if leaking past the valves. If you can see the level dropping before your eyes, that is a major leak indicative of distorted, bent, or burnt valves.

Note that an untouched used head might have slight carbon or hard deposits build up on the valve faces and seats that will prevent complete valve sealing unless the valves snap closed rapidly as in a running engine - you would see this as a small / slow leak during this test and that could still be o.k.

You should have no leakage on a fresh valve grind / cut if the valves have been properly lapped in.

2-04 R1, 81 CSR1000, 81 LTD1000, 2-83 GPz1100, 3-79CBX, 81 CBX, 3-XS650, 84 Venture, +parts
Quote "speed costs money...how fast do you want to go?" (Which Z movie?)
Universal formula for how many motorcycles one should own = n + 1, where n is how many motorcycles you own right now....

More
01 Aug 2016 21:14 #737030 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Change after shimming

Mapletree wrote: It is a 1983, with just under 12k miles, it is my suspicion that the shims where never changed, but I also question why i had absolutely no clearance on 5 of the 8 and the other three were nominal. Anyways, thanks for your response and i agree with you, i am going to order some new seals and change em out, it is the more probable cause. If not we will do the guides next. Again thanks

very unlikely it's the guides, very likely it's seals.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

• Bozo
  • Sustaining Member
More
02 Aug 2016 03:37 #737042 by Bozo

bountyhunter wrote:

Mapletree wrote: It is a 1983, with just under 12k miles, it is my suspicion that the shims where never changed, but I also question why i had absolutely no clearance on 5 of the 8 and the other three were nominal. Anyways, thanks for your response and i agree with you, i am going to order some new seals and change em out, it is the more probable cause. If not we will do the guides next. Again thanks

very unlikely it's the guides, very likely it's seals.

Agree about the seals, as I wrote before they are most likely original, by pushing the valve down the carbon on the valve stem cracking (microscopic) the hardened seals.

Third ride is now the Frankenstein 1981 GPZ1100B1, 1983 fully recon motor fitted LOVE THIS BIKE

More
02 Aug 2016 16:00 #737136 by zukdave
Replied by zukdave on topic Change after shimming
Carbon can not build up above the seal's on the stem's.

1980 KZ650 F1
ZX750A1 motor.
Wiseco 810cc kit.
Zukiworks racing ported head.
VM 29 smooth bore's.
Dyna 2000 Ign. w/Dyna mini coil's
APE cylinder stud's and nut's.
APE valve spring's.
APE Track King clutch.
V/H KZ1000 sidewinder.
3.5x18 laced to a KZ1000 disk hub.
150/60/18 Shinko 006 Podium.
63" wheel base.

• Bozo
  • Sustaining Member
More
02 Aug 2016 16:03 #737137 by Bozo

zukdave wrote: Carbon can not build up above the seal's on the stem's.

Correct, my bad.