First start after rebuild

More
15 Jul 2016 14:25 #735063 by nickleo373
First start after rebuild was created by nickleo373
Hey everyone
I just have to get a couple electrical connectors attached to the ignition coil wires and then I'll be able to fire the bike up after a top end rebuild. This includes new piston rings, seals, and gaskets. The TK22 carbs on my KZ550 have a tendency to rev the bike up to about 5000 rpms while it is being started on choke. I'm assuming being revved immediately to 5000 with new rings and a fresh hone probably isn't the best thing for the engine. Is there a way to prime the engine with oil to minimalize the wear this may cause on a freshly rebuilt engine?

1981 KZ550C LTD
"If you ain't first, you're last"

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Jul 2016 15:08 #735065 by KZB2 650
Replied by KZB2 650 on topic First start after rebuild
I cranked mine over with the plugs out till I built oil pressure (light going off) ..... was dying to check comp anyway and did that while cranking ...... light went off after checking #4 just like I planned it that way. (all 4 at 145 Yes!!) I've also read folks kicking it over doing the same. Have read you might want to shoot for 2,500 rs for a minute or so just to put a little load on em.... then shut it down take a quick look for leaks then head out for a ride.

1978 KZ650 b-2
700cc Wiseco kit 10 to 1.
1980 KZ750 cam, ape springs, stock clutch/ Barnett springs.
Vance and Hines Header w/ comp baffle and Ape pods, Dyna S and green coils, copper wires.
29MM smooth bores W/ 17.5 pilots, 0-6s and 117.5 main
16/42 gearing X ring chain and alum rear JT sprocket.

More
15 Jul 2016 19:13 #735081 by Nessism
Replied by Nessism on topic First start after rebuild
There is a mod to reduce the reving under choke with the TK22's. I don't have personal experience with this but read about it in a thread here just the other week. You might want to check the archives to dig up the info.

Regarding your first start up, be sure to get the bike out on the road and put some load on the rings. That nonsense about babying the engine during break-in is BAD information. Go read the mototune break in method for the real dope on what to do. www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

More
16 Jul 2016 06:43 #735111 by KZB2 650
Replied by KZB2 650 on topic First start after rebuild
I'm a believer in the not babying the motor too..... as soon as mine was warmed up I did 3 or 4 .....3 and 4th gear pulls from 4,000 to 6,500 rs to load em up a little...... then a couple for every ride till 500 miles..... just be sure to go nice and easy for a 1/4 mile or longer after words to allow things to cool off. There are several hills around here I would use also to put a little load on em..... have 165 across the board on all 4 after 600 miles and am hoping for another 5 or so after 1,000-1,500. (If I ever get off my lazy butt and get the motor back in after changing out the starter clutch. :blush: ......

Be sure you let it cool off over night after the first 50 mile ride and re torgue the head and I changed the oil and filter out at 100 and 250 also......(thinking you've picked that up on here but just in case if not) ;)

1978 KZ650 b-2
700cc Wiseco kit 10 to 1.
1980 KZ750 cam, ape springs, stock clutch/ Barnett springs.
Vance and Hines Header w/ comp baffle and Ape pods, Dyna S and green coils, copper wires.
29MM smooth bores W/ 17.5 pilots, 0-6s and 117.5 main
16/42 gearing X ring chain and alum rear JT sprocket.

More
16 Jul 2016 12:45 #735156 by nickleo373
Replied by nickleo373 on topic First start after rebuild
Alright so I got everything back together and went to start it. At first pushing the starter button made a click and it didnt want to rotate the engine (i checked to make sure it spun freely using the crankshaft bolt before trying to start it). The engine seemed a little hard to spin while the spark plugs were in but when I took them out it spun easily. I assumed this was normal and went ahead. After a few times pushing the starter button it would rotate the engine like normal although the bike wouldn't start. After a few minutes of cranking I pushed the starter again and tried to run and then backfired extremely loud and a big flame shot out the right muffler. Anyone have any ideas as to what could be wrong?

1981 KZ550C LTD

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
16 Jul 2016 14:21 #735166 by SWest

More
16 Jul 2016 14:54 #735168 by nickleo373
Cam timing was spot on when I reassembled it. I just remembered I put some oil in each cylinder when i started putting it back together. I think this may have caused the bike to not want to crank using the starter. The plugs were covered in oil when I took them out. Would too much oil in the cylinders cause a no start and backfiring?

1981 KZ550C LTD

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
16 Jul 2016 15:24 #735171 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic First start after rebuild
New plugs. Sounds like you had it hydrolocked. Spin it until all oil is out and put in some fresh plugs or clean what you have.
Steve

More
16 Jul 2016 20:11 - 16 Jul 2016 20:12 #735203 by JoHNY
Replied by JoHNY on topic First start after rebuild
These motors are built to last and IMO are rock solid. Personally I wouldn't worry too much even though it does raise a concern. I just threw a bunch of oil down each plug hole before my initial start up and hoped for the best. As I said the lumps are low tech so I wouldn't worry too much

Kawasaki Z750P7 Spectre, Triumph Daytona 955i, Honda CBR1000FN
Last edit: 16 Jul 2016 20:12 by JoHNY.

More
16 Jul 2016 21:35 #735211 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic First start after rebuild

nickleo373 wrote: Alright so I got everything back together and went to start it. At first pushing the starter button made a click and it didnt want to rotate the engine (i checked to make sure it spun freely using the crankshaft bolt before trying to start it). The engine seemed a little hard to spin while the spark plugs were in but when I took them out it spun easily. I assumed this was normal and went ahead. After a few times pushing the starter button it would rotate the engine like normal although the bike wouldn't start. After a few minutes of cranking I pushed the starter again and tried to run and then backfired extremely loud and a big flame shot out the right muffler. Anyone have any ideas as to what could be wrong?

timing advancer 180 out?

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
16 Jul 2016 21:37 #735212 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic First start after rebuild

nickleo373 wrote: Cam timing was spot on when I reassembled it. I just remembered I put some oil in each cylinder when i started putting it back together. I think this may have caused the bike to not want to crank using the starter. The plugs were covered in oil when I took them out. Would too much oil in the cylinders cause a no start and backfiring?

The oil could foul the plug and fuel would build up and eventually wash the oil off.... once the plug fires you get the loud BANG.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
19 Jul 2016 12:52 #735458 by nickleo373
Bountyhunter was right. I went to give it another try today and it started up immediately. I took it for a ride to seat the rings and everything was seemingly going well. I rode it back into my driveway and noticed the base gasket dripped a puddle of oil on my stator cover. I suppose the engine will have to come back apart to get this done. I can only find NOS, which the seller always believes to be in better condition than they are, or those cheap green gaskets (what's in the bike now). Does anyone have a seller of good quality base gaskets that aren't cheaply made or 35 years old?

1981 KZ550C LTD