Oil leakage help

• JENKFITLIFE02
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • No Regrets
More
11 Jul 2016 06:09 #734545 by JENKFITLIFE02
Oil leakage help was created by JENKFITLIFE02
Hey everyone, so I noticed smoke coming from the front of my bike and it looks like oil has come out of it and thats whats burning when hot. I am going to pressure wash it but in the mean time I need to find the problem. One of the rings could be bad but I have no idea and just need some direction. Check out the pics, and thank you for any advice!
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Jul 2016 06:27 - 11 Jul 2016 06:39 #734547 by mopguy
Replied by mopguy on topic Oil leakage help
Looks like its coming from where the tachometer cable is joined to the motor, it might be loose, or you need a new gasket.

www.kawasaki.com/Parts/PartsDiagram/134700/1980/KZ750-H1 .

I have a 1980 Kawasaki KZ750 Ltd. I bought new. I recently managed to get it out of my garage after 28 years and put it on the road again (2010). I feel like a kid all over again. Since I have acquired 3 78 KZ1000 Ltd, 1 1981 KZ1000 Ltd, and another 1980 KZ750 Ltd. Love the LTD's.
Last edit: 11 Jul 2016 06:39 by mopguy.
The following user(s) said Thank You: GPz550D1

More
11 Jul 2016 06:52 #734550 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Oil leakage help

JENKFITLIFE02 wrote: Hey everyone, so I noticed smoke coming from the front of my bike and it looks like oil has come out of it and thats whats burning when hot. I am going to pressure wash it but in the mean time I need to find the problem. One of the rings could be bad but I have no idea and just need some direction. Check out the pics, and thank you for any advice!

After pressure washing to thoroughly clean the engine, allow it to completely dry, spray foot powder onto suspected leak areas (all over edges of the cam cover and head gaskets, around the tach drive and exhaust clamps, etc.).
Should then look like a clean white blanket of freshly fallen snow.

Start the engine, and watch for appearance of darkening area where the oil is coming through the powder.

The source of leak is usually very evident.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
The following user(s) said Thank You: GPz550D1, GatlinM

• JENKFITLIFE02
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • No Regrets
More
11 Jul 2016 07:10 #734562 by JENKFITLIFE02
Replied by JENKFITLIFE02 on topic Oil leakage help
Thank you so much! Can I pressure wash that part of the engine or is that bad for it?

More
11 Jul 2016 07:18 - 11 Jul 2016 07:20 #734568 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Oil leakage help
I routinely pressure-wash my engines with no ill effects, but carefully avoid spraying the carbs and muffler outlets.
Probably a good idea to first cover the carbs and muffler outlets with plastic bags or such (can tie with string or hold the plastic bags on with rubber bands) to protect these areas from over-spray.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 11 Jul 2016 07:20 by Patton.
The following user(s) said Thank You: GPz550D1

More
11 Jul 2016 07:21 #734569 by Nessism
Replied by Nessism on topic Oil leakage help
Pressure washing the engine is always bad. You need to go easy. I'd use some Gunk engine cleaner spray (or similar) and let that soak for a while before using a light touch on the pressure washer, or use a garden hose instead.

If you haven't been inside the valve cover lately to adjust the valves now would be a good time. Failure to perform this critical maintenance will result in engine damage.

More
11 Jul 2016 07:29 #734571 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Oil leakage help
I would be very careful about pressure washing the engine. Keep in mind that if you hit seals with high pressure water you are asking for trouble. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
11 Jul 2016 07:51 #734578 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic Oil leakage help
Water can get into the HT leads and cause corrosion.
Steve

• JENKFITLIFE02
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • No Regrets
More
11 Jul 2016 08:20 #734580 by JENKFITLIFE02
Ahh thank you all so much Im gonna try some engine degunker and a rag first I dont want to get anything wet I shouldnt.

• Street Fighter LTD
  • Away
  • TURBO, Its Better to be Blown than Injected
More
11 Jul 2016 08:31 #734582 by Street Fighter LTD
Replied by Street Fighter LTD on topic Oil leakage help

JENKFITLIFE02 wrote: Ahh thank you all so much Im gonna try some engine degunker and a rag first I dont want to get anything wet I shouldnt.

Grab a can of carb or brakleen and spray the oily area , Then replace the tach drive seal and you will probably be oil free ;)
Dave B) B) B)

Original owner 78 1000 LTD
Mr Turbo Race Kit, MTC 1075 Turbo pistons by PitStop Performance , Falicon Ultra Lite Super Crank, APE everything. Les Holt @ PDM's Billet Goodies . Frame by Chuck Kurzawa @ Logghe Chassis . Deep sump 5qt oil pan. RIP Bill Hahn

More
11 Jul 2016 08:45 #734583 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic Oil leakage help
There are also a few engine degreaser products that let you hose the grease off with water.

As mentioned don't use a high pressure sprayer. A low pressure garden sprayer should be ok.

Also, as StreetFighterLtd said, it looks like your tach cable seal is the main culprit.

• JENKFITLIFE02
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • No Regrets
More
12 Jul 2016 07:28 #734678 by JENKFITLIFE02
Yesterday I took a scrub brush and some dish soap and water too it got all the oil off. The tach cable was loose producing the cause! Thank you all so much for your help I thought it was going to be deeper than that but just a quick tighten and Im golden.