White Corrosion in Exhaust Port,also Starter issue

More
25 Jun 2016 10:40 - 25 Jun 2016 10:41 #732769 by Kowitz
Hey everyone,

I recently picked up a 1981 KZ550 LTD, and have done some work to it, and got it running great. Well, it was missing a few pieces, so I was able to track down a second 1981 KZ550 LTD, that I was planning on using for parts only(It even had a Vance and Hines 4-1 on it!)

Anyway, I figured, the 2nd bike is pretty complete and it has a clean title, it just needs a lot of love. So I might as well try to get it running too, and if I can, maybe make it my winter project, and tear it all the way down.

So, before I took anything off of it, I hooked up my battery from my running bike, and wanted to see if it would fire. Well, after pushing the starter button, I only hear one click, like the starter is seized or something, and also the positive side battery cable got super hot. So perhaps a bad ground? Just looking for ideas on where to start.

After that, I went to pull the V&H exhaust off, to put on my good bike(since the previous owner had chopped off the stock mufflers), and this is what I found. Again this is on my "parts" bike, that I hope to get running also. This huge amount of white corrosion around the exhaust port, and even down on the valves it looks like, on all 4 cylinders. Do you think the motor is shot?

Just looking for a few ideas on where to start with the starter issue, and if I should even waste my time on this motor. Thanks everyone!

-Brenton

1981 KZ550c
Last edit: 25 Jun 2016 10:41 by Kowitz.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
25 Jun 2016 10:55 #732771 by SWest
Lots of water got in there. Pull the head and see what you got.
Steve

More
25 Jun 2016 15:01 - 25 Jun 2016 15:02 #732788 by Nessism
Agree, looks like water in the engine. You may want to try turning the engine over with a wrench on the RH end of the crank (rotate clockwise as viewing from the RH side)

BTW, most likely the starter is fine but the engine is seized.
Last edit: 25 Jun 2016 15:02 by Nessism.