Vacation is over... bad acceleration

More
23 Jun 2016 05:54 #732492 by LineArtist
Vacation is over... bad acceleration was created by LineArtist
Hello again. I took a long vacation from wrenching after some new problems came up at the end of last year. My 79/650/B3 was running tops all of last year until about 15 miles into a ride, going about 40-mph the motor started to slightly surge. At first I thought it was wind hitting me, but the feeling became more pronounced in the next couple miles. I pulled her over and towed her back home.

Things I have checked: valve clearance, points, timing, air/exhaust leaks. Getting ready to pulled the carbs for a cleaning and inspection. Will be replacing the parts in the fuel accelerator (once Z1 has them in stock).

Problem is mostly now under load, pulling from a stop sign in first. Have to work the clutch longer with more throttle until the bike is moving good. This tells me it's either asking for air or gas. Air screws are factory 1-5/8 turns out.

Anything here I might be missing? ... coils/wires/rectifier/battery/short?

'79 KZ650B3 (stock)
'79 KZ650B3 (parts bike)
'06 HD 883R

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
23 Jun 2016 05:59 #732494 by SWest

• KZQ
  • Administrator
  • Walking Behind the Corn May Not Be All That!
More
23 Jun 2016 06:12 #732495 by KZQ
Replied by KZQ on topic Vacation is over... bad acceleration
Easy stuff first. Go for a ride till you feel the surging then pop the fuel filler loose to see if your tank is venting.
Bill

www.KZ1300.com
Riders:
1968 BSA 441 Shooting Star, 1970 BSA 650 Lightning, 1974 W3, 1976 KZ900, 1979 KZ750 Twin, 1979 KZ750 Twin Trike, 1981 KZ1300, 1982 KZ1100 Spectre, 2000 Valkyrie, 2009 Yamaha Roadliner S. 1983 GL 1100
Projects:
1985 ZN1300

More
23 Jun 2016 09:04 #732510 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic Vacation is over... bad acceleration

KZQ wrote: Easy stuff first. Go for a ride till you feel the surging then pop the fuel filler loose to see if your tank is venting.
Bill

+1 start simple
My buddy had this problem recently... he was just running out of gas and the hills made the problem more pronounced.

Do you have an inline fuel filter? The clear ones, with pleated paper filters, for cars, start to seal up after awhile.

More
23 Jun 2016 10:04 - 23 Jun 2016 10:07 #732517 by LineArtist
Replied by LineArtist on topic Vacation is over... bad acceleration
-checked advance last year - will pull the plate off and give it a full inspection - thanks.
-fuel cap venting. I recently went through it, will take another look - thanks
-inline fuel filter looks clean, will replace with a new one I have on the shelf - thanks

Engine revs sweet in neutral all day long, problem only surfaces under load.

'79 KZ650B3 (stock)
'79 KZ650B3 (parts bike)
'06 HD 883R
Last edit: 23 Jun 2016 10:07 by LineArtist.

More
23 Jun 2016 10:12 #732520 by LineArtist

swest wrote: Have you checked your spark advance?
Steve

I am scratching the idea of going to a new electronic ignition. Thinking I'll buy coils first then the Dyna DS2-2 kit later. Instructions say at least 3 ohms coils. Can I run points on 3 ohms or will they fry? This would also replace the advance unit.

'79 KZ650B3 (stock)
'79 KZ650B3 (parts bike)
'06 HD 883R

More
23 Jun 2016 10:14 #732521 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic Vacation is over... bad acceleration
I should clarify:
The paper element doesn't get clogged with dirt, it seems to seal up with a layer of glue or something... as if the glue in the filter gets dissolved by gas, then deposited onto the paper, clogging it, even though it looks clean.

In this video you can see there is no flow until I pressurize the tank. A car's fuel pump would have more than enough pressure, but gravity doesn't seem to be enough.

More
23 Jun 2016 10:28 #732523 by bluezbike
Replied by bluezbike on topic Vacation is over... bad acceleration
If motor still runs sweetly till load is applied and you have checked all the usual suspects as mentioned.......this issue manifested itself suddenly and with the symptoms you describe, my inclination is to check the clutch / cable etc. :)

79 KZ 1000 LTD
77 KZ 1000 B1 LTD (awaiting electrical resurrection)

More
23 Jun 2016 11:02 #732528 by LineArtist

loudhvx wrote: I should clarify:
The paper element doesn't get clogged with dirt, it seems to seal up with a layer of glue or something... as if the glue in the filter gets dissolved by gas, then deposited onto the paper, clogging it, even though it looks clean.

In this video you can see there is no flow until I pressurize the tank. A car's fuel pump would have more than enough pressure, but gravity doesn't seem to be enough.

I agree that a bad fuel filter is trouble, but in my case the engine would most likely die out of fuel starvation at idle and better on throttle.

'79 KZ650B3 (stock)
'79 KZ650B3 (parts bike)
'06 HD 883R

More
23 Jun 2016 11:10 #732530 by LineArtist

bluezbike wrote: If motor still runs sweetly till load is applied and you have checked all the usual suspects as mentioned.......this issue manifested itself suddenly and with the symptoms you describe, my inclination is to check the clutch / cable etc. :)

thanks bluez. This was my very first inclination. After the problem happened last year and I pulled her over, i noticed the engine was smooth with good response in neutral. I actually snapped one of the throttle cables trying to clear her out. Bought two new throttle cables to replace the factory ones and also a clutch cable for good measure. I have not installed the clutch cable - will do.

I changed the oil last year in case there was contamination causing clutch slip, with no actual difference. However when I took her out last week for the first time she was running fine again??? Heat, oil saturation --- clutch plates slipping? Maybe. I just want to go through all the usual easy suspects before pulling the clutch apart.

Would I be looking at new springs and a full set of plates? Thanks

'79 KZ650B3 (stock)
'79 KZ650B3 (parts bike)
'06 HD 883R

More
23 Jun 2016 12:04 #732532 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Vacation is over... bad acceleration

LineArtist wrote: Hello again. I took a long vacation from wrenching after some new problems came up at the end of last year. My 79/650/B3 was running tops all of last year until about 15 miles into a ride, going about 40-mph the motor started to slightly surge. ?

Could be a lot of things, on mine it was caused by crap in the fuel tank going into a jet.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
23 Jun 2016 12:05 #732533 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Vacation is over... bad acceleration

LineArtist wrote: Hello again. I took a long vacation from wrenching after some new problems came up at the end of last year. My 79/650/B3 was running tops all of last year until about 15 miles into a ride, going about 40-mph the motor started to slightly surge. At first I thought it was wind hitting me, but the feeling became more pronounced in the next couple miles. I pulled her over and towed her back home.

Things I have checked: valve clearance, points, timing, air/exhaust leaks. Getting ready to pulled the carbs for a cleaning and inspection. Will be replacing the parts in the fuel accelerator (once Z1 has them in stock).

Problem is mostly now under load, pulling from a stop sign in first. Have to work the clutch longer with more throttle until the bike is moving good. This tells me it's either asking for air or gas. Air screws are factory 1-5/8 turns out.

Anything here I might be missing? ... coils/wires/rectifier/battery/short?

1979 KZ-750 Twin