Help, blown piston ring?

More
17 Jun 2016 20:08 - 18 Jun 2016 16:50 #731819 by ERICLOSO
Help, blown piston ring? was created by ERICLOSO
OK... SMH, here it goes.........

I have a kz440, 1982. Bought it about a month ago, put about 150 miles on it. It was running great since I bought it but I overfilled it with oil, not realizing the bike has to be level to read the oil window... I know total newb mistake.. :S After overfilling I drove about 30 miles, started losing power on the highway, got off noticed smoke from the intake pods, (pods were on when i bought it) let it cool off, came back started up let it run, seemed fine, drove another 30 miles, was losing power along the way sometimes resulting in a stall. Got to my destination, googled symptoms, found I overfilled it, drained it to the right fill amount.

NOW, Bike wont go a mile without misfiring, losing power and sometimes stalling as a result of losing power. Also, blow-by still coming from the air filters after riding a short distance.

I am hoping the power loss is coincidence and could possibly be a dying coil, but the more I read about overfilling I'm starting to think I may have blown some seals. Would this result in the symptoms I'm getting? Please! AnY help, advice, critisism, etc is helpful!! I'm not sensitive lay it on me! Anyone with experience with blown rings? Valve seals? Blow-by? Coil? I'm at a loss, can't find my exact symptoms on any forums......... HELPPPPP!

Also, just got the carbs cleaned professionally and i'm still having the exact same problem.
Last edit: 18 Jun 2016 16:50 by ERICLOSO.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
17 Jun 2016 20:37 #731821 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic Help, blown piston ring?
Sounds like tight intake valves. Pics of plugs? Blow by coming out of the breather?
Steve
The following user(s) said Thank You: ERICLOSO

More
18 Jun 2016 04:26 #731831 by Nessism
Replied by Nessism on topic Help, blown piston ring?
I tend to doubt you hurt the engine because of too much oil. How much did you overfill?

Sounds like you are having carb problems. Most likely the floats are fouled and the needles are not sealing properly leading to an over rich condition. If the bike is modified by installing pod air filters and/or a loud exhaust that could explain the issues as well..

More
18 Jun 2016 08:07 #731860 by TexasKZ
Replied by TexasKZ on topic Help, blown piston ring?
Yup.
Check and adjust as needed valve lash.
Check and adjust as needed the fuel level in the carburetors using the clear tube method as described in the factory service manual.

1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough

More
18 Jun 2016 16:43 - 18 Jun 2016 16:46 #731902 by ERICLOSO
Replied by ERICLOSO on topic Help, blown piston ring?
Thanks for the reply. Just had the carbs hydro-sonic cleaned., that's what I was hoping was the problem. But after re-installing the carbs and getting them tuned I went for a ride and had the same problems. Misfiring and losing power. I'm not driving it because I dont want to make the condition worse but I'm not sure what to do or what to check.. Thanks again for the responses!
Last edit: 18 Jun 2016 16:46 by ERICLOSO.

More
18 Jun 2016 16:47 #731903 by ERICLOSO
I overfilled by 3 quarts... :/

More
18 Jun 2016 17:23 #731914 by missionkz
Replied by missionkz on topic Help, blown piston ring?
LOL... that seems hard to do. Most all those engines say somewhere in a casting how much oil they hold.
However, I'm betting you completely oil soaked the spark plugs and drove oil into the carbs... etc.

Bruce
1977 KZ1000A1
2016 Triumph T120 Bonneville
Far North East Metro Denver Colorado

More
18 Jun 2016 18:24 - 18 Jun 2016 20:44 #731924 by ERICLOSO
I kno! It's a 2.9L, I was like where the #!>* is this oil going?? I thought it must have been bone dry... Anyway. I had the carbs cleaned after this whole incident so I don't think there's anymore oil getting to the carbs unless there was some still lingering in the head somehow.. I dunno enough about engines to know...

ALSo, seems to start and idle much better on PSI, prob because the carbs need to be adjusted. I dont think its related to the blow-by but might be related to losing power.. If the bowls are getting run dry at high speeds cause they're not getting filled enough,, i dunno.

And, The crankcase vent is sealed off, I think because the stock air box was removed so that might cause excessive blow-by?..
Last edit: 18 Jun 2016 20:44 by KZQ.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
18 Jun 2016 18:42 #731925 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic Help, blown piston ring?
YES, run a hose up then down to the chain. Lucky you didn't blow the seals.
Steve

More
19 Jun 2016 06:41 #731975 by les holt
Replied by les holt on topic Help, blown piston ring?
If it still has the air box on, clean it out, with the vent hooked up it'l push oil in there when overfilled and keep sucking it into the engine.

Les

• Tyrell Corp
  • User
  • "You were made as well as we could make you"
More
20 Jun 2016 05:02 - 20 Jun 2016 05:05 #732094 by Tyrell Corp
Replied by Tyrell Corp on topic Help, blown piston ring?
As the oil level goes above max, the crank and gears are thrashing around in a bath of oil and lots of it gets vapourised -this then feeds back to the airbox, causing an incorrect mixture and fouled plugs. Sealing the airbox vent off will pressurise the crankcase,

Maybe pull the timing cover off, is there oil on the ignition parts? A blown crank oil seal might just be ok again when the oil level is correct and the motor is vented. A hose to a catch tank -beer can, is the usual method when using pods.

Misfiring is often ignition related , new HT caps, leads and plugs would be a good start, followed by a careful once over of all the ignition block connectors and wiring.

Carry on riding it, and work through things one at a time. Sorry not too familiar with the 440 twins.

1980 Gpz550 D1, 1981 GPz550 D1. 1982 GPz750R1. 1983 z1000R R2. all four aces
Last edit: 20 Jun 2016 05:05 by Tyrell Corp.