Wiseco 2835xc ring end gaps too large

• Ktm181
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Man made it, so Man can fix it
More
04 Jun 2016 20:58 #730115 by Ktm181
Hello Gentlemen,

I am just beginning to put the top end of a 1075 Kz back together, went to measure ring end gaps on a brand new set of rings from Wiseco and found top ring at 12 thou and 2nd at approx 23 thou, the rings i am taking out are at 12 top and 15 second ring making me think i have incorrect second rings in the brand new kits!
Bore is standard 1075 with two and one half though piston to bore clearance so all good, rings that were fitted were good but as i had the top end off for new stem seals and it had been sitting for some years i thought i'd do the rings at the same time. The new piston rings supplied by Z1e are saying made in Japan on the box and comp rings appear same as the originals being taken out but the oil control expander is of a different type.
Have any of you found Wiseco piston ring end gaps too large straight out of the box? I a thinking they might be incorrectly packed 1045 rings in 2838xc boxdes?
cheers,
Kt.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
04 Jun 2016 21:21 #730119 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic Wiseco 2835xc ring end gaps too large
Possible. They sent one wrong piston. It was bigger and for a four valve. I'm not at home now or I would put up their spec sheet. Didn't you get them inside the ring boxes? Orange paper.
Steve

• Ktm181
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Man made it, so Man can fix it
More
04 Jun 2016 23:00 #730126 by Ktm181
Replied by Ktm181 on topic Wiseco 2835xc ring end gaps too large
Hey Steve
thanks for the reply, i thought it too late over there!
Yes, in the packet the standard Wiseco orange instruction sheet, still says the normal 4 thou per inch etc, which is what made me suspect trouble. 12 thou for top ring would do but 23 though on the second ring threw me, i amailed Jeff at Z1E, be interesting to find out if he has seen it before. I am in the car industry and have seen this before, especially with Wiseco in the last few years, although genuine car stuff out of Japan usually is ok and would assume bike gear the same, maybe it is just new manufacture, the original set i am sure said made in USA these say Japan.

Wayne.

More
04 Jun 2016 23:17 #730127 by missionkz
Replied by missionkz on topic Wiseco 2835xc ring end gaps too large

Ktm181 wrote: Hey Steve
thanks for the reply, i thought it too late over there!
Yes, in the packet the standard Wiseco orange instruction sheet, still says the normal 4 thou per inch etc, which is what made me suspect trouble. 12 thou for top ring would do but 23 though on the second ring threw me, i amailed Jeff at Z1E, be interesting to find out if he has seen it before. I am in the car industry and have seen this before, especially with Wiseco in the last few years, although genuine car stuff out of Japan usually is ok and would assume bike gear the same, maybe it is just new manufacture, the original set i am sure said made in USA these say Japan.

Wayne.

large ring gap is no big deal. It is grossly over stated as any kind of real problem.
This is unbelievably misunderstood.
Too narrow is the problem.

Bruce
1977 KZ1000A1
2016 Triumph T120 Bonneville
Far North East Metro Denver Colorado