Front motor mount + case savers = problems

More
02 Jun 2016 10:28 #729675 by nitrokeeb
The long bolt that goes through the case and both front motor mounts is to short to accommodate the case savers. I know I can get an all thread rod, but have seen others comment that its weaker and will sag. Is their any reason I can't use one bolt per side? Maybe an Allan bolt so the head can easily fit in the gap at the front of the engine.

1978 KZ1000B LTD w/KZ900 engine

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Jun 2016 11:34 #729682 by zed1015
Replied by zed1015 on topic Front motor mount + case savers = problems
The reason not to use threaded bar is that the threads chew in to the alloy cases and where they go through the frame.
Nothing to do with sag.
Best to get some plain 10mm bar and have it threaded both ends for nylocks or have some hex bar turned into a proper bolt.
The long bolt makes for a more rigid structure than trying to use a short bolt either side for which there is not enough meat to support an allen head in the inside of the case.
You may be able to fit one off elongated nuts (similar to the bottom mounts pear shaped captive nut ) either side which slots in to the casing but as mentioned you will lose some rigidity.

AIR CORRECTOR JETS FOR VM CARBS AND ETHANOL RESISTANT VITON CHOKE PLUNGER SEAL REPLACMENT FOR ALL CLASSIC AND MODERN MOTORCYCLE CARBURETTORS
kzrider.com/forum/23-for-sale/611992-air-corrector-jets-

The following user(s) said Thank You: Patton

More
02 Jun 2016 12:23 #729688 by Barry2
Replied by Barry2 on topic Front motor mount + case savers = problems
Check with one of the bolt stores such as Fasteners, or fastenall or whatever they are named in your area.

1976 KZ900

More
02 Jun 2016 20:18 #729748 by nitrokeeb
Replied by nitrokeeb on topic Front motor mount + case savers = problems
Well the hardware store didn't have long enough Allan bolts in 10mm or 3/8th, so I came home with allthread (in stainless no less). I wasn't satisfied as I'm trying to undue all half-assedness done to this bike over nearly 40 years. I looked at fastenal's website and the longest bolt they offer is just over 10 inches. And turning hex stock down is great in theory, but I no longer have access to a lathe. But I think I could cut threads on a rod. My wife works for a steel company, so I asked her if they carried 10mm bar. Probably not, she said, but that's close to 3/8. So a quick Google search led me to eBay, and now I have a 20 inch long stainless rod on route by way of the next boat from China.

1978 KZ1000B LTD w/KZ900 engine

More
03 Jun 2016 06:00 #729781 by toolmaker
Replied by toolmaker on topic Front motor mount + case savers = problems
You do know that stainless is probably not as strong as standard steel, don''t you? Be careful not to strip the threads....

I live near Portland, Oregon and my rider is a '76 KZ900 I bought new. I'm also in the process of restoring another one and a '73 Z1.