Valve Adjustment Backup Needed! 1983 KZ550 H2 GPZ

More
18 May 2016 13:56 - 18 May 2016 13:57 #727268 by kosh3rhalal
Greetings!
Going to attempt a valve adjustment once I soak and get the bolts for the valve cover off. :woohoo: I have a few questions I was not able to find between all my manuals and what-not. First, Im not 100% sure but is the diameter of the shims needed 13mm?(Shim under bucket) I ordered a kit from hotcams, out of excitement and wanted to confirm. Second, the chain tensioner.. should I remove the cap and wedge before I take off the valve cover? Or its just when installing it (Valve Cover) back on that the danger arises? Oh, and for the aftermarket manual tensioners: does the constant tension really help save the cam chain over the self adjusting OEM spring? I heard quick throttle pulls actually will put varying amounts of tension on the chain from the main tensioner spring being compressed/contracted for a m/s or so.. And lastly, for cam chain timing, is there a specific link for the #1 pin that gets lined up to the IN marking on the exhaust Sprocket? Or is it just important that the number of links counted from that mark are correct with the Z5 mark on the intake sprocket? Haha I have more questions, thanks for the help guys, Im still learning
Last edit: 18 May 2016 13:57 by kosh3rhalal. Reason: more info

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 May 2016 15:40 - 18 May 2016 15:41 #727291 by Nessism
13mm shims

Leave the tensioner cap/spring/cross wedge in place until you go to remove the cams from the engine. And then reinstall the parts after the valve cover is back on.

The advantage of the aftermarket tensioner is that it won't back out EVER. Some people found the OEM tensioner can back out at high rpm, particularly when shifting.

There is no specific marks on the cam chain, but you can put some on before disassembly to aid reassembly.
Last edit: 18 May 2016 15:41 by Nessism.
The following user(s) said Thank You: kosh3rhalal

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.