Engine troubles

More
18 May 2016 06:38 #727174 by noratx
Replied by noratx on topic Engine troubles

swest wrote: While running spray carb cleaner where they bolt onto the head. If there's a change, they have to be replaced airbox or not.
Steve

This is exactly what I have done, no change unless I spray directly on the pods (which is causing the engine to stall completely).

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 May 2016 06:49 - 18 May 2016 06:49 #727176 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Engine troubles
Absence of a "racing idle" is a good sign and is evidence that the carb holders are not leaking :cheer: due to being old and cracked and worn out.

Absence of a "racing idle" also indicates that there is no air leak from any other source such as a possible loose carb-holder clamp, or a possible missing or damaged cap/plug on a carb-holder vacuum nipple or a carb vacuum nipple.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 18 May 2016 06:49 by Patton.

More
18 May 2016 06:55 #727177 by Nessism
Replied by Nessism on topic Engine troubles
That Castrol Classic XL oil is not recommended for wet clutches. That doesn't necessarily mean it will cause problems though. I've never paid much attention to whether or not my oil was MA2 certified, rather I focus on how much ZDDP is in the oil, and that Castrol should be fine in that regard.

More
18 May 2016 07:26 #727191 by noratx

Nessism wrote: That Castrol Classic XL oil is not recommended for wet clutches. That doesn't necessarily mean it will cause problems though. I've never paid much attention to whether or not my oil was MA2 certified, rather I focus on how much ZDDP is in the oil, and that Castrol should be fine in that regard.

The reason I bought that castrol oil was becaus of lots of recommendations from enthusiasts (not kz enthusiasts though).
However, considering the bike being hard, next to impossible to start since the oil change, what are your thoughs about my friends suggestion to draind a third of the pol and fill up with a third semi synthetic as a first attempt. And if the problems is still there, then buy some new semi synthetic oli like motul 10w40 and make a complete change of oil again.

Just feels a bit bad to change oil completely again, since the oil has not been used for more than perhaps 50 kilometer since is was changed.

More
18 May 2016 07:40 #727198 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Engine troubles
Synthetic is also more prone to leakage past the various oil seals.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
18 May 2016 08:24 - 18 May 2016 09:28 #727206 by Nessism
Replied by Nessism on topic Engine troubles

noratx wrote: The reason I bought that castrol oil was becaus of lots of recommendations from enthusiasts (not kz enthusiasts though).
However, considering the bike being hard, next to impossible to start since the oil change, what are your thoughs about my friends suggestion to draind a third of the pol and fill up with a third semi synthetic as a first attempt. And if the problems is still there, then buy some new semi synthetic oli like motul 10w40 and make a complete change of oil again.

Just feels a bit bad to change oil completely again, since the oil has not been used for more than perhaps 50 kilometer since is was changed.

As already mentioned earlier, the hard starting has nothing to do with the oil change.
Last edit: 18 May 2016 09:28 by Nessism.

More
18 May 2016 09:24 - 18 May 2016 09:27 #727215 by zed1015
Replied by zed1015 on topic Engine troubles

noratx wrote: The reason I bought that castrol oil was because of lots of recommendations from enthusiasts (not kz enthusiasts though).

Don't go mixing different oils.
Apart from the clutch slipping, the type of oil shouldn't make any difference to starting unless the viscosity number is too high causing excessive drag on the engines internals.
Given that, a 20/50 wouldn't have any effect on an engine in other wise good condition.
Fill with 10/40 then look elsewhere for the starting problems.
Are you sure you have not overfilled the engine ?
It only takes 3 litres with a filter change and 2.6 liter without filter change.

AIR CORRECTOR JETS FOR VM CARBS AND ETHANOL RESISTANT VITON CHOKE PLUNGER SEAL REPLACMENT FOR ALL CLASSIC AND MODERN MOTORCYCLE CARBURETTORS
kzrider.com/forum/23-for-sale/611992-air-corrector-jets-

Last edit: 18 May 2016 09:27 by zed1015.

More
18 May 2016 10:20 #727225 by noratx
hmm... might be 4 dl too much. I gave it 3 liters and didnt change the oil filter.

But according to the measure glass, it is well beyond max.
It is just slightly over the min mark.

Will charge the battery and drain what was overfilled and try that way first.

I'd hate to waste all the oil :)