Clutch throw out mechanism problems.

• AkA_MacGyver
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
15 May 2016 15:50 #726598 by AkA_MacGyver
Clutch throw out mechanism problems. was created by AkA_MacGyver
Hello all,
First time member as well as a first time kz440 owner. I just purchased a 1980 kz440 (acording to the title) and am trying to get it operational. Engine runs and idles fine, my issue I'm having is a loose clutch handle, after a day of research and tinkering I have more questions then answers, anyway I think there is an issue with the throw out mechanisms as I've followed the manuals instructions on cable adjustment with no solution to my problem. I've been to kz400.com and looked through the manual but the one on the website shows a different mechanism then I have. Mine is a flat plate with three ball bearings that sit in indents above and below the "bearing plate". It seems that I might be missing something. I have verified that the steel ball at the end of the push rod before the pusher. The issue is when the lever is pulled there is no return after letting go and when pulling the lever at the end of the Travel you can hear a clunk which I think is the bearing plate coming out of it's seats. Nothing looks broken inside or seized so any images of the assembly or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
15 May 2016 15:58 #726602 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic Clutch throw out mechanism problems.
Ramp and ball type AKA e Z pull. The balls have to start in their relaxed positions, then as the arm moves, they force the plate against the push rod. Take it apart, grease them, put it back together and adjust the screw and lock nut.
Steve

• AkA_MacGyver
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
15 May 2016 16:10 #726607 by AkA_MacGyver
Replied by AkA_MacGyver on topic Clutch throw out mechanism problems.
Thank you for letting me know what I'm actually dealing with. I have taken it all apart, cleaned an lubed it up. When reinstalled the balls are sitting in their relaxed position but it's like when I pull the lever it goes to far maybe? Because it clicks and won't return to it's rest position, I am in the middle of putting the clutch pack back together right now so I can have some tension in the push rod, maybe that will make a difference. Thank you for your response.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
15 May 2016 16:19 #726611 by SWest

More
15 May 2016 16:35 - 15 May 2016 16:54 #726618 by punisher11b
Replied by punisher11b on topic Clutch throw out mechanism problems.
had the same issue when i got my 440. its kind of backwards to how you think it should adjust. i still sometimes mess up the adjustment when i get in a hurry and spend a good 30 min in a parking lot fixing it :blush: in case your doing the same thing i did when i first got mine make sure you are turning the screw like you are trying to unscrew it until it gets tight. i usually only back it off from tight just a smidgen past 1/4 turn to prevent the pop and loose cable syndrome. found half a turn and it was the parking fix all over again. :lol:

- good luck
Last edit: 15 May 2016 16:54 by punisher11b.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
15 May 2016 16:40 #726619 by SWest

• AkA_MacGyver
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
15 May 2016 18:49 #726658 by AkA_MacGyver
Replied by AkA_MacGyver on topic Clutch throw out mechanism problems.
Ok so it was a combination of me screwing up the adjustment set point and the previous owner did not have the right length bolt on the bottom of the chain cover, it looked like it was hitting the cover but there was a small gap just enough to let the balls slip out of their seats and allow it to rotate to far then getting stuck. Thanks for the Help. Any suggestions for parts sources would be appreciated.

More
15 May 2016 19:04 #726661 by punisher11b
Replied by punisher11b on topic Clutch throw out mechanism problems.
www.z1enterprises.com
I just got a set of stainless steel Allen bolts for all my engine covers for $8 through them. You may consider doing the same. Really worth it!

- good luck
The following user(s) said Thank You: AkA_MacGyver

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
15 May 2016 19:09 #726663 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic Clutch throw out mechanism problems.
I have SS Allens for all my #6 bolts. One socket fits all. B)
Steve