need help please- crankshaft

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
13 May 2016 10:44 #726178 by SWest
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationReplied by SWest on topic need help please- crankshaft

650ed wrote:

car5car wrote: ...........This is better bike for engine repair:
jacksonville.craigslist.org/mcy/5583408293.html

But when you've finished the engine repair you end up with a Yamaha. :sick: Ed

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :woohoo:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 May 2016 10:55 #726181 by shamal
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationReplied by shamal on topic need help please- crankshaft

swest wrote: looks good to me.
Steve

ok, i bought it.
one thing i don't know how to do with journal. if the journal of the crank i bought will be in ggod shape, i should remove mine and then install the ''new'', it is right?

if my journal have the same color marks i can leave mine in place, right?

another thing..i did a search but i wasn't able to find: how i remove and install journal? in the manual i can't see the procedure.... :blink:

1983 kz 550 h

More
13 May 2016 13:22 - 13 May 2016 13:29 #726218 by car5car
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationReplied by car5car on topic need help please- crankshaft
You need to read manual again so you know part names. I guess you are talking about connecting rod bearings.
In car engines connecting rod bearings can be removed after removing oil pan.
Bike engines usually don't have oil pans and you have to remove engine and split cases.
Yamahas have oil pans.
Check engine parts diagram to see if engine has oil pan.

96 Yamaha Royal Star
82 Yamaha Virago 920
Last edit: 13 May 2016 13:29 by car5car.

More
13 May 2016 13:38 - 13 May 2016 13:39 #726221 by shamal
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationReplied by shamal on topic need help please- crankshaft

car5car wrote: You need to read manual again so you know part names. I guess you are talking about connecting rod bearings.
Bike engines usually don't have oil pans and you have to remove engine and split cases.
Yamahas have oil pans.

write in english is difficult for me, is not my language.
im referring about crankshaft bearing insert. where crank go into the casing

1983 kz 550 h
Last edit: 13 May 2016 13:39 by shamal.

More
13 May 2016 13:55 #726222 by rrsmsw9999
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationReplied by rrsmsw9999 on topic need help please- crankshaft
Every KZ has an oil pan to my knowledge, but you will not be able to inspect the crank bearings from that area. Crank has to come out. R

1980 KZ 1000E2
Crashed 6/2016

1980 KZ550A
Sold 3/2016

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
13 May 2016 13:56 #726223 by SWest
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationReplied by SWest on topic need help please- crankshaft

car5car wrote: You need to read manual again so you know part names. I guess you are talking about connecting rod bearings.
Yamahas have oil pans.

Most Kawasaki's have oil pans. If you are going to give advice you need to know what you are talking about. I take advice from car mechanics with a grain of salt. This is a Kawasaki forum, not a Yamaha or insert name here. If I give advice, I've done it before or have done my homework. I suggest you do the same. :dry:
Steve
The following user(s) said Thank You: The_Proletariat

More
13 May 2016 13:56 #726224 by KZB2 650
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationReplied by KZB2 650 on topic need help please- crankshaft
Think about picking up some plastigage and double checking your clearances.

1978 KZ650 b-2
700cc Wiseco kit 10 to 1.
1980 KZ750 cam, ape springs, stock clutch/ Barnett springs.
Vance and Hines Header w/ comp baffle and Ape pods, Dyna S and green coils, copper wires.
29MM smooth bores W/ 17.5 pilots, 0-6s and 117.5 main
16/42 gearing X ring chain and alum rear JT sprocket.

More
13 May 2016 22:34 #726314 by shamal
Why you talk about Yamaha and oil pan? Why?
I already split the case. The engine is on the bench.
The crank is out.
I know what im talking about, i just need help about crank Bearing inserti removal and installation. And no, in the manual i cant find it.

1983 kz 550 h

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
14 May 2016 05:30 #726335 by SWest
Some people just like to hear themselves talk. :dry:
I don't know much about the color codes on the bearings so I haven't offered my advice on them. If you can get the bearings for the crank shaft journals with the crank you bought, they should be sized for that crank. A plastigauge kit will tell you if the clearances are within spec. Not expensive and easy to use. I've used them on automotive and motorcycle engines. If nothing else, it will give you peace of mind and or catch a mistake. Good advice.
Good luck on your build. B)
Steve

More
15 May 2016 05:25 - 15 May 2016 05:26 #726500 by shamal
Thanks swest. The crank will come with his own journals. How i can remove and install ? Just pushing them?
This is the only thing isnt clear to me at the moment.

1983 kz 550 h
Last edit: 15 May 2016 05:26 by shamal.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
15 May 2016 05:42 #726501 by SWest
Are you talking about the bearing shells? You should be able to take the old ones out by ether pushing the bottom sideways or tapping lightly on one end with a drift. The old ones should come out easily. You have to take off the pistons first. I'd compare the main bearings in the case with what you get and install the crank as one unit leaving the rods already connected.
Steve

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
15 May 2016 05:46 #726503 by SWest

car5car wrote: Value of the bike is too low to repair engine. Unless you do it for fun.

Didn't delete this one. B)