Compression being funny

More
10 May 2016 13:51 #725563 by Reidpdb
Compression being funny was created by Reidpdb
Hi.

Just bought my first bike. It's a 76 kz650. When I bought, I heard the engine kick start and run. But but I have not been able to get it running since. I know it had carb problems. The owner said it would die as soon as given gas. But that's a whole other story. I'm kinda worried about the compression. When I kick it over, it has compression but only most of the time. Every couple kicks or so, it has no compression and my foot goes straight to the floor. What's going on here?

Also I don't know if it means anything, but when I drove it home I had to lay the bike on its side I order to fit it in my car. Please help me if you can! Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
10 May 2016 14:02 #725567 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic Compression being funny
Welcome
The clutch may be sticking. You can't kick it with the clutch disengaged. You'll need to clean the carbs and get a new battery. Check the valve adjustments. Get a manual too.
Pics?
Steve
The following user(s) said Thank You: Reidpdb

More
10 May 2016 14:21 #725572 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Compression being funny
You laid it on its side? :blink: What did you do to prevent battery acid, brake fluid, oil, and fuel from spilling out? Also, there's no such bike as a 1976 KZ650. If it was built in 1976 it is a 1977 model. No different than if you bought a 2016 Chevy in December 2015 - it is still a 2016 model. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
10 May 2016 14:54 #725581 by Reidpdb
Replied by Reidpdb on topic Compression being funny
that was a typing error. It's a 77/78 model. I'm going to have to check out/ probably change the clutch. Right now I the electric starter has a similar problem in that whenever I use it, the engine turns over but the starter motor intermittently starts to grind really bad. Im guess that a problem with the clutch? Or would that be unique to the starter clutch?

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
10 May 2016 14:59 #725583 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic Compression being funny
Two different animals. Take the sprocket cover off and see if you have compression. If so, clean and grease the actuator and check the cable.
Steve