Kz750E clutch cover gasket

• theworstmechanic
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
28 Apr 2016 13:07 #723488 by theworstmechanic
Kz750E clutch cover gasket was created by theworstmechanic
From what I can tell the bike is leaking from the bottom of the clutch cover. The gasket is 8 bucks and disassembly looks pretty simple so I'm willing to give it a shot.

I've never replaced a gasket however and I have a few questions. The gasket seems to be some kind of felt or paper material. Do I install this dry? Do I dab some oil on either side? Use some kind of sealant? The other thing is that the cover seems to be attached with screws. I can only assume these screws need to be tightened to a specific torque but I'm not sure how I'd do that with round screws. Any advice would be appreciated.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Apr 2016 13:31 #723493 by KZB2 650
Replied by KZB2 650 on topic Kz750E clutch cover gasket
Dry except for a 2 inch area in the back where you need a thin amount....... you need to down load a manual or get one to see where...... Yamabond is what I used sure a few others will chime in with what they like and maybe a manual or at least the page showing it.....not really a torque to go by just good and snug and use a JIS screw driver if possible or search on here to see how to modify a #3 phillips to get a better fit ........ that's why one of the first things I did was go with allen heads. ;)

1978 KZ650 b-2
700cc Wiseco kit 10 to 1.
1980 KZ750 cam, ape springs, stock clutch/ Barnett springs.
Vance and Hines Header w/ comp baffle and Ape pods, Dyna S and green coils, copper wires.
29MM smooth bores W/ 17.5 pilots, 0-6s and 117.5 main
16/42 gearing X ring chain and alum rear JT sprocket.

• theworstmechanic
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
28 Apr 2016 13:56 #723500 by theworstmechanic
Replied by theworstmechanic on topic Kz750E clutch cover gasket
Thanks for the advice. I do have a clymer manual but it's pretty sparse on these details. I'll thumb through it again and see if it refrences the area you mentioned.

• Nessism
  • Away
  • Sustaining Member
More
28 Apr 2016 15:06 #723512 by Nessism
Replied by Nessism on topic Kz750E clutch cover gasket
The manual says to use sealer on the cases where the top and bottom halves come together in the front and rear of the clutch. I don't remember doing this on my rebuild and no leaks, but you might want to look at the gasket surface for any irregularities and use sealer if there are any. Permatex Ultra RTV works well, or you can use something like Threebond 1194/1184 or similar as well.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
28 Apr 2016 15:19 #723514 by SWest