Overheating in Traffic Rule of Thumb

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
20 Apr 2016 11:11 #722019 by SWest
The following user(s) said Thank You: missionkz

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Apr 2016 06:19 #722158 by toolmaker
Replied by toolmaker on topic Overheating in Traffic Rule of Thumb

swest wrote: I held off getting another cooler for two years remembering the lack of oil pressure with the last one. It would take a couple seconds for the oil light to go off. I hated that. Last summer I could tell the bike was getting REALLY hot. I decided to get one this time around. I routed the lines up, along the back bone tubes then down to the engine to keep oil in the cooler. Not only does the light go off the second the bike fires up, I have more pressure too. When it cools off in fall I'll install a bypass valve.
For now I'll RIDE THE PISS OUT OF IT. :woohoo:
Steve

I routed the lines under the tank with the fittings pointing up and have had no problems in 50,000 miles or so....

I live near Portland, Oregon and my rider is a '76 KZ900 I bought new. I'm also in the process of restoring another one and a '73 Z1.

More
26 Jun 2016 10:58 #732898 by Grnole
Replied by Grnole on topic Overheating in Traffic Rule of Thumb
so sorry to dredge up the ole thread i was working on, but i wanted to check back in with the results. The spark plug temp reader I got is great. Totally recommend it. It mounts in places of the crush washer on a s-plug, and routes easily to the handlbar. Bought the mount to make it look nice, so small goes un-noticable. What I like about this, is it gives me a little ease while riding. Take into mind I am getting live readings of the head temp at the plug WOT.... My avg temp in summer, while idling varies from 295-310, and the highest temp is 329deg f... and I am happy with it. Seems like im in tolerance to not need an oil cooler yet.

Time to ride it till the wheels fall off... :woohoo:

1980 KZ1000 LTD -B4
1984 Yamaha FJ1100
1972 Honda CL350 (sold)