KZ400 Baffle

More
29 Mar 2016 11:36 #718016 by CKutz_GO
KZ400 Baffle was created by CKutz_GO
hey guys,

Recently picked up this 76 KZ400, It's loud. I'm not sure if the plate in the exhaust is the baffle or if the baffle has been removed.
If it has been removed, would I just need to find the ID of that hole and find a baffle that will fit in there or make one or does the stock baffle actually close the tip off the tip of the exhaust and the whole thing has been removed?
Trying to quiet these things on the cheap.. i'm not spending $80 on NOS baffles.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Mar 2016 15:34 #718059 by wrenchmonkey
Replied by wrenchmonkey on topic KZ400 Baffle
There's many ways and materials to use to make an exhaust quieter. It's really quite a simple process and if you wish, have a peek at this web page: [ How a muffler works ]

The problem here is that you have twin exhaust pipes and if you were to home-brew your own muffling system for one side it's almost guaranteed to be different from the other side even with the equalizing tube connection under the engine. So it would be kinda' dicey in terms of performance of your engine's two cylinders - one side feeling more or less back pressure than the other in effect.

So if you were going to go the route of building your own muffler insert, then it would be better if you were to build two identical muffler inserts and install them in both sides.

More
30 Mar 2016 07:44 #718212 by CKutz_GO
Replied by CKutz_GO on topic KZ400 Baffle
Yea i'd be replacing the baffle on both pipes.

I guess i was just wondering if i could just order a baffle from someone like cone engineering or standard baffles off the various motorcycle parts retailers online.