Cam chain tensioner or stretched chain?

More
28 Mar 2016 18:45 #717860 by Markovich
Cam chain tensioner or stretched chain? was created by Markovich
Hi all, been a while as I was working on my other bike. Now I'm back on the KZP. Anyway, I have been chasing a noise around and decided to check the cam chain tensioner. I removed it and didn't have any problems removing and disassembling it, but I noticed it seemed to be near its end of travel. I'm talking about less than 1/16" left if that. My question is there a measurement I can take into the opening that can give me the final answer on whether I am going to have to replace the chain? If so what would the max be? The bike has around 80,000 miles on it and I suspect the chain has reached its end of service but didn't plan to pull the engine at this time. What do you guys think? Keith

1990 KZ1000P, 72k miles, 10 years in storage, new, bars, tires, chain and sprockets, seat, carbs cleaned, police equipement removed.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
28 Mar 2016 19:13 #717867 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic Cam chain tensioner or stretched chain?
It could be worn out guides. They can be replaced by pulling the head. Good time to put in new valve seals and inspect the valves.
Steve

More
28 Mar 2016 19:25 - 28 Mar 2016 19:25 #717877 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Cam chain tensioner or stretched chain?
My KZ650 Kawasaki Service Manual describes how to measure the cam chain to see if it is within the service limits. I don't have a manual for your model bike, but I would expect it to have similar information. Do you have the Kawasaki Service Manual? 80k miles doesn't seem like near enough miles to need a new cam chain. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
Last edit: 28 Mar 2016 19:25 by 650ed.

More
28 Mar 2016 19:39 #717882 by Markovich
Replied by Markovich on topic Cam chain tensioner or stretched chain?
Thanks for the quick replies, yes I do have the manual and it does give the measurement. I will pull it back apart and do that. The way the book describes it, when I tried to measure it confused me a bit. Is it number of pins not links? My cam cover guide looks great, can it be good and the rear one be worn? So, pull the head and check all of them if chain measure out in spec I suppose. Carbs are off for cleaning so I'm almost there anyway. I'll keep everyone updated on what I find. Thanks, Keith

1990 KZ1000P, 72k miles, 10 years in storage, new, bars, tires, chain and sprockets, seat, carbs cleaned, police equipement removed.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
28 Mar 2016 19:52 #717884 by SWest
I'd check the valve adjustments and probe for loose guides.
Steve

More
03 Apr 2016 09:55 #719036 by Markovich
Alright, so I bought a scope about 3 months ago and used it for the first time today. Was looking at the guides. Question 1 : are they supposed to look like the top guide as is the riding surface supposed to be flat with no groove when new. Mine definitely is grooved on both vertical guides both front and back. Question 2: how many times must the engine rotate to get the chain to line back up on the marks I put on the gears and chain? Does it walk around on the cam sprockets? I am able to bring it to top dead center on number one and the cam gears line up right but the marks move around. I am about to pull cams but this mystery has me a bit baffled. I checked length and it seems fine as far as I can tell so far anyway. Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks, Keith

More
03 Apr 2016 09:56 #719037 by Markovich
I will definitely do as you advise Steve. Thanks, Keith

More
03 Apr 2016 19:26 #719126 by car5car
Replied by car5car on topic Cam chain tensioner or stretched chain?
You have automatic tensioner. It extends when you remove it.
I think.

96 Yamaha Royal Star
82 Yamaha Virago 920

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
03 Apr 2016 19:34 #719128 by SWest
It is a one way device. If you try to install it extended damage can occur.
Steve

More
03 Apr 2016 23:30 #719143 by Markovich
Agreed that the tensioner will extend upon removal. I noted the significant extension as I was installing it after disassembly and cleanup inspection. What clued me in was the wear marks on the primary plunger. When I went to install the body it just went in almost to seating without depressing the plunger at all. Freaked me out a bit. My chain measurements don't show any stretch so only thing I can think of is guides but we shall see. Thanks for the input keep it coming. Later, Keith