Can't get cylinders off...

More
02 Feb 2016 18:04 #709117 by Brady 154
Can't get cylinders off... was created by Brady 154
I have a 1976 900, and I've removed the head, but the cylinders WILL NOT come up. I'm pretty sure I'm not forgetting to remove anything. I've tried tapping the corners "lightly" with a rubber hammer, and even prying up on the half round tabs on the bottom of the cylinders--no luck. Are there any tricks that may help?

1976 KZ900 LTD, resto-mod
-1075 Piston Kit
-PSP 3X Cams (degreed to 106)
-Mikuni RS34 Carbs
-Pod Air Filters
-Dyna S Coils and Ignition
-Race Tech Valve Cartridge Emulators up Front
-Ohlins Shocks out Back :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
02 Feb 2016 18:15 #709122 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic Can't get cylinders off...
There should be two pry points on each side of the block at the base gasket. Take a screw driver that fits snug and tap on it with a hammer. Don't go in too deep. Pics?
Steve
The following user(s) said Thank You: PLUMMEN

More
02 Feb 2016 18:19 #709123 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Can't get cylinders off...
Look for the pry points.

On mine, I destroyed several screwdrivers. I ended up having to machine down the tip of a small tire iron so it fit the gap exactly to get enough leverage to split mine loose.

BTW, my factory manual warns against using a hammer on a screwdriver..... :laugh:

1979 KZ-750 Twin
The following user(s) said Thank You: PLUMMEN

More
03 Feb 2016 13:44 #709242 by Brady 154
Replied by Brady 154 on topic Re:Can't get cylinders off...
I was trying the pry points, but it wasn't budging. I'll use my tire irons and see if that helps. Thanks for the tip.

-1075 Piston Kit
-Mikuni RS34 Carbs
-Pod Air Filters

More
03 Feb 2016 22:41 #709303 by Barry2
Replied by Barry2 on topic Re:Can't get cylinders off...
Double check to see that you got ALL the bolts out.........Just sayin'.

1976 KZ900

More
04 Feb 2016 02:44 #709314 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Re:Can't get cylinders off...
Make SURE there are no bolts still fastened down inside the cam chain tunnel. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
04 Feb 2016 03:09 #709316 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic Re:Can't get cylinders off...
God knows what the OP used on the base gasket. Permatex? I've had to rip gaskets in half because of that SHT. The only thing holding the barrels down on a Z1/KZ 900 are the 12 head bolts. May be able to heat around the base and use a small tight fitting cold chisel Being careful not to go in too far. :dry:
Steve

More
04 Feb 2016 03:22 - 04 Feb 2016 03:23 #709320 by Brady 154
Replied by Brady 154 on topic Can't get cylinders off...
Well, the tire iron trick worked. I didn't use any adhesives on the base gasket. Half of it stayed on the cases and the other half stayed on the cylinders. I have no idea why it is so damn stuck to the engine, but it's going to be a bear to get the mating surfaces clean again.

-1075 Piston Kit
-Mikuni RS34 Carbs
-Pod Air Filters
Last edit: 04 Feb 2016 03:23 by Brady 154.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
04 Feb 2016 03:30 #709322 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic Can't get cylinders off...
Damn good gasket. I get my gaskets from a vendor in my good guys thread. I just ordered another valve cover gasket from him. I broke the old one and now I have a leak. You can try to reuse them but for $12 and 5000 miles, I'm not THAT cheap. :blink:
Steve

More
04 Feb 2016 10:41 #709378 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Can't get cylinders off...

Brady 154 wrote: Well, the tire iron trick worked. I didn't use any adhesives on the base gasket. Half of it stayed on the cases and the other half stayed on the cylinders. I have no idea why it is so damn stuck to the engine, but it's going to be a bear to get the mating surfaces clean again.

You just described EXACTLY what happened when I pulled the cylinder off my 750 twin, and it was factory. Either the factory is using some kind of sealer or else the gasket itself has some kind of adhesive face but mine also tore right in half with the top half stuck to the cylinder and the bottom half stuck to the crankcase flange. Took me about 3 hours to do the bottom half with a razor blade and a vacuum. I stuffed a bunch of rags in so the debris couldn't fall down into the engine.

I tried every gasket remover I could think of and nothing worked. I tried acetone, brake fluid, oil, ATF, and spray on removers but nothing worked. Razor blade..... and a lot of work.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
04 Feb 2016 12:10 #709385 by Brady 154
Replied by Brady 154 on topic Re:Can't get cylinders off...

bountyhunter wrote:

Brady 154 wrote: Well, the tire iron trick worked. I didn't use any adhesives on the base gasket. Half of it stayed on the cases and the other half stayed on the cylinders. I have no idea why it is so damn stuck to the engine, but it's going to be a bear to get the mating surfaces clean again.

You just described EXACTLY what happened when I pulled the cylinder off my 750 twin, and it was factory. Either the factory is using some kind of sealer or else the gasket itself has some kind of adhesive face but mine also tore right in half with the top half stuck to the cylinder and the bottom half stuck to the crankcase flange. Took me about 3 hours to do the bottom half with a razor blade and a vacuum. I stuffed a bunch of rags in so the debris couldn't fall down into the engine.

I tried every gasket remover I could think of and nothing worked. I tried acetone, brake fluid, oil, ATF, and spray on removers but nothing worked. Razor blade..... and a lot of work.

Yep, I'm sure that's what's in store for me too. I'm going to try Permatex gasket remover though. It actually works quite well on built up carbon too.

-1075 Piston Kit
-Mikuni RS34 Carbs
-Pod Air Filters

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
04 Feb 2016 12:18 #709387 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic Re:Can't get cylinders off...
Permatex is some miserable SHT. If anything can get it off that can. Let us know how it works.
Steve