Exhaust wrap

More
07 Jan 2016 12:28 #705907 by Bowman
Exhaust wrap was created by Bowman
I got some exhaust wrap, not entirely sure I'm going to use it. Anyway the mostly useless instructions say that

"because the carburator is receiving additional vacuum stepping down 1 to 2 steps in the secondary and primary jets may be necessary"

Can anyone translate this? "Stepping down" means the wrap enriches the mixture or does it mean it leans it?

I want to use pods with my CV carbs (I know, I know) but as far as I've learned so far if the wrap enriches then I want it, if it leans I don't?

I understand that I need to tune a shitload of stuff before dealing with jetting but I'm curious if exhaust wrap makes much if any difference to mixture and which way it does. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Honda 55 Trail don't ask me what year, 65? (sold)
79 Yamaha XS400 (sold)
76 KZ750B Twin (project)
72 Honda CT70 (project)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Jan 2016 13:28 #705912 by nickleo373
Replied by nickleo373 on topic Exhaust wrap
You probably wont notice enough of a difference to require rejetting or much tuning. Exhaust wrap will rust out your headers over time though because it traps in moisture

1981 KZ550C LTD
"If you ain't first, you're last"
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bowman

More
07 Jan 2016 15:47 #705919 by redhawk4
Replied by redhawk4 on topic Exhaust wrap
I've never been a fan of exhaust wrap, except to quieten down expansion chambers some on 2 stroke dirt bikes. While I understand the theory of it for enhancing the engine performance, I really find it hard to believe it could make enough difference to require carb adjustments. IMO it looks ugly and as has been said will ruin your headers.

1978 KZ1000A2 Wiseco 1075 kit
1977 KZ650B1
1973 Triumph Tiger TR7V
1968 BSA Victor Special 441
2015 Triumph Thunderbird LT
1980 Suzuki SP400

Old enough to know better, still too young to care

More
07 Jan 2016 15:53 #705921 by kaw-a-holic
Replied by kaw-a-holic on topic Exhaust wrap
You won't notice a difference with the wrap. That being said you will ruin your headers unless you take pecautions. You need to protect them inside and out. You can buy interior header paint from Eastwood, I have used it, it works well. Unfortunately for you, you would have clean the inside of the header first. You also need to coat the outside with header paint.

Jon
1977 KZ1000a1
Mesa, AZ
Phoenix Fighter Project

More
07 Jan 2016 16:32 #705923 by Bowman
Replied by Bowman on topic Exhaust wrap
Thank you all gentlemen. I've got 20 year old MAC 2:1 headers and of course they have dings tiny dents and rust . Thought that wrapping them might give them a few more years but it seems the opposite is true. Theres a local outfit that can do ceramacoat (sp?) powder coating. That make more sense as this project continues to bankrupt me?.

Honda 55 Trail don't ask me what year, 65? (sold)
79 Yamaha XS400 (sold)
76 KZ750B Twin (project)
72 Honda CT70 (project)

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
07 Jan 2016 16:40 #705924 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic Exhaust wrap
If they're that bad I wouldn't spend anymore money on them. Why not some good exhaust paint?
Steve

More
07 Jan 2016 17:48 #705925 by kaw-a-holic
Replied by kaw-a-holic on topic Exhaust wrap
I agree with Steve.

Jon
1977 KZ1000a1
Mesa, AZ
Phoenix Fighter Project
The following user(s) said Thank You: SWest

More
08 Jan 2016 14:18 #706006 by jertho
Replied by jertho on topic Exhaust wrap
What would be a good exhaust paint?
Thanks, Jerry

1978 kz750 twin

More
08 Jan 2016 15:15 #706009 by KZB2 650
Replied by KZB2 650 on topic Exhaust wrap
Lot of folks on here like VHT high heat paint but most say nothing really holds up........ search and check under the paint section a few tallking about it lately.

1978 KZ650 b-2
700cc Wiseco kit 10 to 1.
1980 KZ750 cam, ape springs, stock clutch/ Barnett springs.
Vance and Hines Header w/ comp baffle and Ape pods, Dyna S and green coils, copper wires.
29MM smooth bores W/ 17.5 pilots, 0-6s and 117.5 main
16/42 gearing X ring chain and alum rear JT sprocket.

More
08 Jan 2016 20:57 - 08 Jan 2016 20:57 #706027 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Exhaust wrap
VHT type paints work as long as the headers are dead clean and roughed up. After spraying, you have to cure the paint before running. I always used to hang them from a rafter in the garage and use a 1500W heat gun to gradually cook the piece. The paint on the header pipe always softened up and gradually wore off when running because it gets so hot. The paint on the muffler lasted better because it didn't run as hot. Figure on painting about once a year.

1979 KZ-750 Twin
Last edit: 08 Jan 2016 20:57 by bountyhunter.

More
08 Jan 2016 20:59 #706028 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Exhaust wrap

Bowman wrote: I got some exhaust wrap, not entirely sure I'm going to use it. Anyway the mostly useless instructions say that

"because the carburator is receiving additional vacuum stepping down 1 to 2 steps in the secondary and primary jets may be necessary"

Can anyone translate this?

The theory is that the wrap keeps heat in and that the hotter gasses flow faster. Faster flow means it would run a bit leaner, but I seriously doubt the effect would be much.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
15 Jan 2016 20:23 #706851 by cafebrat
Replied by cafebrat on topic Exhaust wrap
I tried using VHT header paint on my headers and the side clips and it chipped and flaked off even after plenty of prep and even a light etching solution. I ended up wrapping my headers and sprayed 2 light coats and one medium coat of VHT header paint on the wrap. It seals the wrap from soaking up moisture and corroding the pipes. Ive rode in the rain plenty of times and havent seen any surface rust begin yet. Plus it gives you color options and black paint turns the wrap from charcoal fiber glass shine to BLACK. I also didnt have to rejet at all for both wrap and paint. Performance wise, helps retain heat and keep my oil cooler from cooking if i hit the cape cod tourist trap during the summer. Hope this helped

83 Kawasaki Kz1100 LTD
81 Honda cm400
72 Suzuki T500 Titan** 2-stroke B)
Attachments: