What power gains with 4 into 1?

More
29 Dec 2015 14:15 #704812 by Bowman
Replied by Bowman on topic What power gains with 4 into 1?

bountyhunter wrote:

Bowman wrote: High gear as in 5th? In the city? How come not just leave it in 4th?

Because it cruises smoother in top gear. The stock 750 twin has so much low end torque you can easily cruise 30 mph in 5th gear which is 2000 RPM.

Thanks for that Bountyhunter. Mine came wiith a totally rotted out stock 2 into 2 and the crossover was basically not there so I've only rode it with the aftermarket MAC 2 into 1 that I installed. Even still it feels like it could pull a Honda Civic out of a ditch.

Honda 55 Trail don't ask me what year, 65? (sold)
79 Yamaha XS400 (sold)
76 KZ750B Twin (project)
72 Honda CT70 (project)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Dec 2015 17:19 #704830 by TexasKZ
Replied by TexasKZ on topic What power gains with 4 into 1?

KZB2 650 wrote: Please LOOK !!! under filebase at the top then click on "General" and look for the 2 part article 1978 Cycle mag 4 into 1 article for the KZ1000.

One of the best articles on headers of all time !!!!!! Have the mag somewhere but I'll be damned if I can find it and I thank you for putting it on here !! ;)

Very interesting article. I am really surprised how poorly the Yosh pipe performed.

1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough

More
30 Dec 2015 05:57 #704879 by KZB2 650
Replied by KZB2 650 on topic What power gains with 4 into 1?

TexasKZ wrote:

KZB2 650 wrote: Please LOOK !!! under filebase at the top then click on "General" and look for the 2 part article 1978 Cycle mag 4 into 1 article for the KZ1000.

One of the best articles on headers of all time !!!!!! Have the mag somewhere but I'll be damned if I can find it and I thank you for putting it on here !! ;)

Very interesting article. I am really surprised how poorly the Yosh pipe performed.

That always has surprised and stuck with me too ....... I remembered that the Kerker won out and that Yosh lost and (RC my pick was middle of the road) but wasn't sure enough to post it so I went looking for the mag and could not find it. Didn't want to comment on that without proof so I kept quiet. Maybe it needed jetting changes or removing the baffle to work but running around without a baffle is something I'd never do. (Well ok maybe a few times). :lol:

1978 KZ650 b-2
700cc Wiseco kit 10 to 1.
1980 KZ750 cam, ape springs, stock clutch/ Barnett springs.
Vance and Hines Header w/ comp baffle and Ape pods, Dyna S and green coils, copper wires.
29MM smooth bores W/ 17.5 pilots, 0-6s and 117.5 main
16/42 gearing X ring chain and alum rear JT sprocket.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
30 Dec 2015 06:15 #704884 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic What power gains with 4 into 1?
I had duel crossover tuned exhaust. After the wreck I ordered a set of Jardine slip on's to replace my old and damaged ones. The owner of the shop where I was working got the side draft instead because they were half the price. HD guy. I hated them but put them on and quit the shop. Crook. I lived with them until I could get some new ones. They jumped in price so I bought the V/H system I have now for a little more money. I wanted to see how much power gain I would get. I was disappointed. Not much if any. I bought two extra baffles, Competition and Drag. The drag is too loud and the top end fell off. the competition has smooth power all the way up and the street was like I put a cork in it.
Steve

More
30 Dec 2015 14:55 #704942 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic What power gains with 4 into 1?

Bowman wrote:

bountyhunter wrote:

Bowman wrote: High gear as in 5th? In the city? How come not just leave it in 4th?

Because it cruises smoother in top gear. The stock 750 twin has so much low end torque you can easily cruise 30 mph in 5th gear which is 2000 RPM.

Thanks for that Bountyhunter. Mine came wiith a totally rotted out stock 2 into 2 and the crossover was basically not there so I've only rode it with the aftermarket MAC 2 into 1 that I installed. Even still it feels like it could pull a Honda Civic out of a ditch.

I am also running the MAC 2-1 now. Runs good, but definitely feels softer under 3k RPM. Pretty close to stock performance otherwise, but I think not having the crossover and dual outputs hurts the low end.

1979 KZ-750 Twin