how much oil in cavity around shim/bucket?

More
19 Dec 2015 23:16 #703724 by D3
Guys l have absolutely no issues at all with the motor but am curious as too how much oil is around the shim/bucket cavity area when cam cover is removed?

4 days ago l removed cover from my Z1B for shim check and was staggered to see all 4 exhaust bucket cavities (around shim/bucket) to be full of oil and 1 and 4 inlet cavities full as well!! 2 and 3 were empty/drained off. Is this much oil normal or does it depend at what point the motor stops turning at? I've removed covers in the past but cannot remember this much oil except on maybe 2 or 3 cavities.

After 4 days the oil has not drained away, so my second question is how does the oil get past the bucket into bottom of cavity to drain away as the bucket is a very tight fit/seal in the recess, is the oil pushed thru between bucket and housing when the motor is running as in the bucket up and down movement?

Thanks for your time, as lve never noticed this much oil undrained before, sorry crappy pic but can make out oil on right side.

[IMG

[URL[/IMG][/URL]

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Dec 2015 03:22 #703728 by Nessism
Replied by Nessism on topic how much oil in cavity around shim/bucket?
Oil in the cavity is a GOOD thing. It lubricates the cam lobe and all the related parts. Parking on the side stand affects how much oil remains in the various cavities as well as where the cams park in the head. Bottom line is don't worry about the oil, and if anything, worry when you don't see oil.

More
20 Dec 2015 08:42 #703750 by missionkz
Replied by missionkz on topic how much oil in cavity around shim/bucket?
I see where the oil comes up into the head and into the cam bearings but are the cam lobes lubed by oil passing through the cam bearings and all that?

Bruce
1977 KZ1000A1
2016 Triumph T120 Bonneville
Far North East Metro Denver Colorado

More
20 Dec 2015 10:51 #703760 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic how much oil in cavity around shim/bucket?

missionkz wrote: I see where the oil comes up into the head and into the cam bearings but are the cam lobes lubed by oil passing through the cam bearings and all that?

On mine it feeds up to the head through a restrictor orifice and lubes the bearings. I think the oil you see there comes through the bearings. I always find oil pooled around the cam lobe area when I take the cover off.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
20 Dec 2015 13:28 #703777 by D3

bountyhunter wrote: I always find oil pooled around the cam lobe area when I take the cover off.

Thanks all, l've never seen this much oil before but must be the way the cams were parked.

[URL[/IMG][/URL]

More
20 Dec 2015 15:36 #703787 by missionkz
Replied by missionkz on topic how much oil in cavity around shim/bucket?
For my own education, I have an extra 4cyl head and I'll go drag it out for a good look...

Bruce
1977 KZ1000A1
2016 Triumph T120 Bonneville
Far North East Metro Denver Colorado

More
20 Dec 2015 20:18 #703815 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic how much oil in cavity around shim/bucket?
I recall I had to use a paper towel to sop it up when I needed to get in and take a shim out...... :lol:

1979 KZ-750 Twin

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
21 Dec 2015 06:11 #703844 by SWest