Rebuild vs used Falicon welded crankshaft

More
03 Dec 2015 10:58 #701738 by Mk2Rookie
Hi!
I brought my J crankshaft to the local machinist for a checkup and the guy told me one of the center bearings is toast so it needs a rebuild. And I will then weld it.
But I have been offered a used Falicon rebuild crank with "added thrust bearing" and is welded. Comes out of a drag bike but is being sold as race ready.
Any advice on this? The price will be pretty much the same ...

Simon

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Dec 2015 11:57 #701746 by DFIGPZ
Replied by DFIGPZ on topic Rebuild vs used Falicon welded crankshaft
MY advice is to steer clear you have no idea what crank has been through over reved , detonated etc , if this is a bike you want to keep do it right the first time because you WILL spend at least twice as much doing it half assed, When I drag raced I sent take out cranks of wrecked bikes etc 75% of them were not fit to rebuild so at that point i just bought brand new cranks and sent them out to be trued , welded, big pins installed and balanced and in all the years i raced i had "0" crank / Rod issues and in my old stock pile I have 1 Brand New NOS Kawasaki "J" if you decide to go this route I believe they are now discontinued.

1984 750 Turbo
The following user(s) said Thank You: PLUMMEN

• Street Fighter LTD
  • Away
  • TURBO, Its Better to be Blown than Injected
More
03 Dec 2015 12:15 #701747 by Street Fighter LTD
Replied by Street Fighter LTD on topic Rebuild vs used Falicon welded crankshaft
Why not call Falicon and or John Pearson and see what they say and what there charge would be to go thru the cranks so you have all the information to make a informed decision
Dave

Original owner 78 1000 LTD
Mr Turbo Race Kit, MTC 1075 Turbo pistons by PitStop Performance , Falicon Ultra Lite Super Crank, APE everything. Les Holt @ PDM's Billet Goodies . Frame by Chuck Kurzawa @ Logghe Chassis . Deep sump 5qt oil pan. RIP Bill Hahn

More
03 Dec 2015 12:28 #701748 by floivanus
Replied by floivanus on topic Rebuild vs used Falicon welded crankshaft
Drag bike, used crank? Doesn't sound like a good idea to me, beat on, abused who knows what it's been thru?

Or it could be 100% perfect, sounds like a crap shoot, if the price is right and i mean cheap it could be worth while.

my bikes; 80kz1000(project), 77 gl1000, 74 h2 (project)
Past; 78 kz1000, 83 kz550
Andrew

More
03 Dec 2015 14:59 #701767 by Nessism

• Street Fighter LTD
  • Away
  • TURBO, Its Better to be Blown than Injected
More
03 Dec 2015 15:21 #701771 by Street Fighter LTD
Replied by Street Fighter LTD on topic Rebuild vs used Falicon welded crankshaft

Nessism wrote: Falicon has a horrible reputation these days. I'd steer clear.

Have you looked at the new falicon crank JUST purchased by Dr Gamma in his current build. ??
I have heard the rumors for years now , but one of our members just had a great experience with Falicon.
I had great luck 30 plus years ago then the rumors and bad mouthing started after the company was sold , yet here is a example showing a positive experience .
Now I don't know if I should believe the stories , or what I see currently with Dr Gamma
Dave B) B) B)

Original owner 78 1000 LTD
Mr Turbo Race Kit, MTC 1075 Turbo pistons by PitStop Performance , Falicon Ultra Lite Super Crank, APE everything. Les Holt @ PDM's Billet Goodies . Frame by Chuck Kurzawa @ Logghe Chassis . Deep sump 5qt oil pan. RIP Bill Hahn

More
04 Dec 2015 02:58 #701824 by Mk2Rookie
Replied by Mk2Rookie on topic Rebuild vs used Falicon welded crankshaft
I hear you. I've asked the seller for more information ... But I guess it's a long shot. So unless the seller can convince me its in top shape I will have my own rebuild and then weld it my self.
I also talked to Allan from Kip Kawa about having him rebuild it and lightened but that is almost twice the price of a local rebuild. Is there much performance gain in the Falicon rebuild crank or Kip Kawa 5 pound lighter crank compared to a standard rebuild J crank?

More
04 Dec 2015 03:09 - 04 Dec 2015 03:12 #701827 by TexasKZ
Replied by TexasKZ on topic Rebuild vs used Falicon welded crankshaft
On a street machine a lighter crank is not necessarily better. The performance gain will be fractional and you are likely to gain some vibration.

Falicon, and I bet KipKawa, will do various types of rebuilds based on customer needs. A basic true, balance, and weld is cheaper than a full blown, lightened crank.

1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough
Last edit: 04 Dec 2015 03:12 by TexasKZ.