Valve clearence questions

More
02 Dec 2015 10:20 #701576 by noratx
Replied by noratx on topic Valve clearence questions
By the way. I think you forgot to add the link, Ed :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Dec 2015 10:21 #701577 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Valve clearence questions
Maybe this will help clear the air on this subject:

Here is the correct cover for a Kawasaki Service Manual that covers your KZ500-B3.

Attachment 00003-6.jpg not found

Here are the instructions for measuring valve clearances:

Attachment 00003c-21.jpg not found

Here is the table for Inlet valves:

Attachment 00003a-140.jpg not found

Here is the table for Exhaust valves:

Attachment 00003b-40.jpg not found

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
Attachments:

More
02 Dec 2015 10:22 #701578 by 650ed

noratx wrote: By the way. I think you forgot to add the link, Ed :)

Ooops. :blush: I went back and added it. Ed

More
02 Dec 2015 10:23 - 02 Dec 2015 10:25 #701579 by missionkz
Replied by missionkz on topic Valve clearence questions
And also just changing the shm from one valve that has a tight fit, or thicker size, from one of the valves next or across to a loose one....means nothing, because that shim is taking up the slack that grinding of that singular valve seat and valve creates.
All of them can be different #s and not just one size bigger or smaller.
You could have all kinds of different shims in there in order to get that FSM gap setting.
Make a chart up with each named valve and it's exact gap measurement and then remove the camshafts and remove the bucket and shim and write down exactly what number shim was in that exact same valve. Now you can use the chart to find the next number shim you need to widen or thin the lash gap.

Bruce
1977 KZ1000A1
2016 Triumph T120 Bonneville
Far North East Metro Denver Colorado
Last edit: 02 Dec 2015 10:25 by missionkz.

More
02 Dec 2015 10:27 #701581 by 650ed

noratx wrote: yeah, I edited the post shortly after, to go back on how positive I was :p

Anyway, I must ask though...
The cam shaft is round, only the lobe it making any difference.
The further away that the lobe are from the bucket, should tat not make for a more and securely accurate reading?
I mean, lets say the lobe is slightly more towards the bucket, that COULD make it so that you actually manage to measure .25 instead of otherwise .20

Just saying, considering the shape of the shaft, it makes more sense to measure with the lobe pointing as far away as possible from the bucket. No?

No. As I understand it the issue is not the shape of the camshaft. The issue is which valves the cam is pressing open. If they are adjacent to the valve being measured the pressure pushes the cam to the upper half of the cam journal and may give a different reading. Ed

More
02 Dec 2015 10:36 #701586 by Nessism
Replied by Nessism on topic Valve clearence questions
This business about how to check the valves comes up all the time. The factory recommended method on how to position the cams puts two adjacent valves on the base circle at the same time, and then the valves are checked in pairs. This method avoids having the adjacent valve pushing up on the cam and skewing it in the journal clearance.

You can use the "point the cam lobe away from the valve" technique, but it's not as accurate and will result in the measurements being larger than if measured using the factory method.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 650ed

More
02 Dec 2015 18:06 #701648 by JaFlo
Replied by JaFlo on topic Valve clearence questions

Nessism wrote: You can use the "point the cam lobe away from the valve" technique, but it's not as accurate and will result in the measurements being larger than if measured using the factory method.

Very true. I re shimmed my 750-4 recently. I measured both ways, just to compare. Totally different measurements between methods. Journal clearance definitely affects valve clearance on a stationary engine.

More
02 Dec 2015 18:29 #701655 by TexasKZ
Replied by TexasKZ on topic Valve clearence questions
I wonder if the factory method works as well with really long duration cams. At the point in cam rotation that the factory cam comes off the ramp, a long duration cam may still be on it, giving an artificially small measurement.

1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough

More
03 Dec 2015 10:19 - 03 Dec 2015 10:23 #701728 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic Valve clearence questions

650ed wrote:

nessism wrote: I assume you checked the clearance using the factory Kawasaki specified procedure on how to position the cams right? If you pointed the cam lobe away from the cam and just checked that way you will get incorrect readings.

noratx wrote: "I followed the FSM I found and pointed the lobes 180 degrees away from the valve caps."

Really?? What FSM says to do it that way? I have a copy of the KZ400 / KZ500 / KZ550 FSM (Part #99924-1018-06) and my copy tells you to do it differently than that. Are you positive you are using a FSM (Kawasaki Service Manual)? Ed

+1
Ed is right on. The FSM speifies TDC position for checking clearance (on the 500/550).
Using other methods can give slightly different results.

VERY IMPORTANT: Also, don't install the valve cover until you release the tensioner cap and cross-wedge. Failing to do so can result in damage. There is a note somewhere in the manuals, but they are sometimes hard to find.
Last edit: 03 Dec 2015 10:23 by loudhvx.

More
03 Dec 2015 10:28 #701729 by loudhvx

TexasKZ wrote: I wonder if the factory method works as well with really long duration cams. At the point in cam rotation that the factory cam comes off the ramp, a long duration cam may still be on it, giving an artificially small measurement.

That is a good point. You must follow the manufacturer's instruction on an aftermarket cam.

However, with just a mild increase, it should be ok. GPZ 550 cams are longer duration than standard KZ 550 cams, but the procedure is the same (uses TDC mark).

More
03 Dec 2015 10:28 - 03 Dec 2015 10:31 #701731 by noratx
Replied by noratx on topic Valve clearence questions

loudhvx wrote: +1
Ed is right on. The FSM speifies TDC position for checking clearance (on the 500/550).
Using other methods can give slightly different results.

VERY IMPORTANT: Also, don't install the valve cover until you release the tensioner cap and cross-wedge. Failing to do so can result in damage. There is a note somewhere in the manuals, but they are sometimes hard to find.

Yeah, I will take new measurements following the recommended procedure... :)
Just one question though, out of pure curiosity... what kind of damage can happen if I install the tensioner after I reinstall the valve cover?
Last edit: 03 Dec 2015 10:31 by noratx.

More
03 Dec 2015 10:49 - 03 Dec 2015 10:52 #701735 by loudhvx
The problem is with installing the valve cover after the chain is already tensioned. Notice there is a chain guide in the cover. This pushes down on the chain. If the tensioner is installed and at full tension, then you install the cover, the chain will be over-tensioned. This can damage the guides, stretch the chains, stresses the camshafts.

You can release the one-way action of the tensioner by removing the large (17mm) cap on the tensioner. This will allow it to retract when you install the cover.

If you already installed the cover, just remove the cap, and catch the spring and cross-wedge if they pop out, and reinstall everything. The tension should be normal then. Refer to the manual for details on how the tensioner works and should be re-assembled. However, the manual usually says to remove the entire tensioner. That is not necessary if you are not disassembling the motor. You will just have to deal with the tension on the chain (make sure the cap is off and the cross wedge is out or loose so the tensioner can retract) while reinstalling the cams. But once you know the tricks, it's not a big deal.

Similar problems can happen if you try to install the tensioner (the entire tensioner) while it is at full extension and unable to retract. So a tensioner, if you removed the whole thing, should only be reinstalled while the cap and crosswedge are removed.
Last edit: 03 Dec 2015 10:52 by loudhvx.