No gear engage

More
12 Nov 2015 19:57 #698409 by Bulldogar
No gear engage was created by Bulldogar
Hello everyone
I have 1981 LTD kz1000cc, the problem is that when I push the lever into first gear (of course pulling the clutch) the bike goes off as if no clutch was engage. I already adjust the cable in both sides (under the cover and the cable) but still, there is no more available adjustment since the screw is very tight and the cable is very tense. I re-star to adjust everything from zero and didn't work.
Basically, when I go into first gear the bike just give a hard push ahead and goes off.
I'll really appreciate everyone's opinions. Do I need to replace the "Clutch disc or springs? or the whole system?
is there something wrong with the transmission (hope no).?

thanks
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Nov 2015 04:52 #698446 by TexasKZ
Replied by TexasKZ on topic No gear engage
What you describe looks like an adjustment problem. Has any work been done on the bike since the last time the clutch worked properly?

There are three adjustments that must be done in the proper order.
To begin, the two cable adjusters must be loose enought to provide slack at the adjustment screw in the clutch cover. These adjusters are located at the clutch hand lever and at the middle of the cable, usually near where the exhaust pipes exit the engine.
Once there is slack in the cable, then the adjustment screw and locknut in the clutch housing can be adjusted. Some must be turned clockwise to engage the pushrod, some must be turned anti-clockwise. The fsm is not terribly clear on the point, so you may have to try both to get it right. Under no circumstance should the screw be tight against the pushrod.
Once the screw is properly set, the adjust the mid-cable adjuster, then lastly the lever adjuster to factory specifications.

1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough

More
13 Nov 2015 04:55 #698448 by TexasKZ
Replied by TexasKZ on topic No gear engage
Has it been a long time since the bike was ridden? Is the oil fresh? What kind of oil?

It is possible that in addition to the adjustment problem, the clutch plates may be stuck together, though one or two sudden lurches like you described should have loosened them.

1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough

More
13 Nov 2015 05:04 - 13 Nov 2015 05:06 #698452 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic No gear engage

Bulldogar wrote: Hello everyone
I have 1981 LTD kz1000cc, the problem is that when I push the lever into first gear (of course pulling the clutch) the bike goes off as if no clutch was engage. I already adjust the cable in both sides (under the cover and the cable) but still, there is no more available adjustment since the screw is very tight and the cable is very tense. I re-star to adjust everything from zero and didn't work.
Basically, when I go into first gear the bike just give a hard push ahead and goes off.
I'll really appreciate everyone's opinions. Do I need to replace the "Clutch disc or springs? or the whole system?
is there something wrong with the transmission (hope no).?

thanks

Is this question about the bike lurching forward from a stopped position when shifting from neutral into low gear even though the clutch lever is squeezed in?

When the handlebar clutch lever is squeezed against the hand grip, the clutch is supposed to be disengaged which is also known as unengaged. Meaning that the clutch plates are separated.

When the handlebar clutch lever is in its normal unsqueezed riding position, the clutch is supposed to be engaged. Meaning that the clutch plates are being held together by the clutch springs,

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 13 Nov 2015 05:06 by Patton.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
13 Nov 2015 05:35 #698458 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic No gear engage
If it's the EZ pull style ball and ramp actuator, you have to take off the cover, put them back into place, put it back on and adjust it. They're rather finicky. B)
Steve

More
13 Nov 2015 06:13 #698463 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic No gear engage

swest wrote: If it's the EZ pull style ball and ramp actuator, you have to take off the cover, put them back into place, put it back on and adjust it. They're rather finicky. B)
Steve

Am thinking it's the ball and ramp style.

And that the adjusting screw is first turned counter-clockwise until it seats against the push-rod, and then turned 1/4 turn clockwise (to provide a slight gap) before tightening the lock-nut.

This presupposes that the actuator is serviceable and correctly assembled.

As advised by TexasKZ, would first assure that the clutch push-rod adjustment has been correctly performed.
And that the crank case oil is fresh and not contaminated with gasoline.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
13 Nov 2015 08:43 #698486 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic No gear engage
They have a bad habit of going pop and no clutch if not installed correctly.
Steve

More
13 Nov 2015 10:15 - 13 Nov 2015 10:19 #698501 by Bulldogar
Replied by Bulldogar on topic No gear engage
thanks man.
I`ll try that this weekend.
regarding your second answer: the problem star one night while I was riding the bike. Was in 4 or 5 gear and then was needed to switch a gear but I felt the clutch very loose, I try to adjust the clutch cable in the middle (where the exhaust begin, while riding) but i couldn't fix it then I pull over aside of the road to check what was going on but no.
I took the bike without clutch to my house (you can hear the hit everytime you switch a gear).
At next day try the common adjustment but didnt work.
The oil was "new" (10w-40, Valvoline) a month and a half at the most since I rebuild the bike and that night was one of the first rides that I took.

Another details is that the motor has a oil leak very close to where the clutch cover is and it gets dirty a little often, I try to keep it clean but no.
The pictures are fromm when I bought the bike. Its not that dirty today.
Attachments:
Last edit: 13 Nov 2015 10:19 by Bulldogar. Reason: typo

More
13 Nov 2015 10:17 - 13 Nov 2015 10:18 #698502 by missionkz
Replied by missionkz on topic No gear engage
I don't think that's the clutch cover.
And because of that I wonder if you really have adjusted the clutch correctly in the first place. Do you have an original factory service manual?

Bruce
1977 KZ1000A1
2016 Triumph T120 Bonneville
Far North East Metro Denver Colorado
Last edit: 13 Nov 2015 10:18 by missionkz.

More
13 Nov 2015 10:23 #698505 by Bulldogar
I see, thanks man.
Yes, the bike goes off when; from neutral to 1st gear, with the clutch squeezed against the hand grip.

Thanks for clarify

More
13 Nov 2015 10:27 #698506 by Bulldogar
I dont have the Owners manual.
Here the bike are sold just with the owner tittle and thats it.
I would love to have on of those but are very expensive on internet, and the exchange rate for us is a little high.
I`l try to fix it as everyone recommendations.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
13 Nov 2015 11:57 #698516 by SWest