Valve seating

More
22 Oct 2015 13:33 #695525 by half-whit
Valve seating was created by half-whit
Hey folks. Total newb here. I was gifted a project KZ and have been slowly rebuilding the engine in my "spare time." I'm a mechanically inclined tinkerer with a factory service manual but no experience. You'll be hearing lots of dumb questions from me along the way.

On a 1983 KZ750 K1 (twin), I noticed that the valves are only steel on the shaft. The head of the valve does not react to a magnet. Are they still safe to use a lapping compound on?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Oct 2015 14:44 #695535 by jackleberry
Replied by jackleberry on topic Valve seating
Maybe they're stainless steel.

1997 KZ1000P (P16)
2001 KZ1000P (P20)

More
22 Oct 2015 17:50 #695549 by kaw-a-holic
Replied by kaw-a-holic on topic Valve seating
more importantly, do you really need to lap the valves? Are they leaking?

Jon
1977 KZ1000a1
Mesa, AZ
Phoenix Fighter Project

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
22 Oct 2015 18:48 #695556 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic Valve seating
Yes, while you're in there, replace the valve guide seals and check the guides for slop. Pics?
Steve
The following user(s) said Thank You: half-whit

More
25 Oct 2015 09:43 #695901 by half-whit
Replied by half-whit on topic Valve seating
Will post some pics soon. I'm doing most of the project in my basement at home, but for some of the finer engine work I'm using the shop at my job (I do sales at a dealership and the techs are cool as shit about letting me use their extra space).

As for whether they leaked or not, that is part of the great mystery. I was given the project with the simple briefing of "There's a stuck valve. Good luck getting that thing apart. Its not worth my time." Needless to say I did get the engine apart with minimal embarrassment and have been playing detective to find out what the hell was wrong. Guides are good and I'm replacing the seals for good measure, though they seemed good at a glance. The engine was ugly. Dirty as hell. Seats were a little pitted. I cleaned up the exhaust valves and replaced the inlet valves because of some scoring on the shaft that I worried would tear the new seals. Maybe I'll get more clues once I check the shims but so far I can't figure out what was wrong.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
25 Oct 2015 23:09 - 25 Oct 2015 23:11 #695966 by SWest
Last edit: 25 Oct 2015 23:11 by SWest.