Some images of the stripped parts.

'81 GPz550
past rides:
93 GSX1100G
01 ZRX1200
84 GS1150E
80 KZ550
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Oct 2015 07:05 #696008 by jackleberry
Replied by jackleberry on topic Engine paint, bolt paint, cold galzanization

Nessism wrote:

jackleberry wrote: So I did a little test... Soaked a zinc plated nut and bolt from the hardware store overnight in Evaporust and cleaned it with WD-40 after... As expected, there was no effect.

So I think whatever the kawasaki bolts were coated in was definitely not a plating.

How about posting some photos of the bolts in question? Think you mentioned they were engine bolts?

It wouldn't show up very well on film and I'd have to "strip" another one to do that. Basically, all of the bolts anywhere near the engine have this finish. Valve cover, side covers, even the bolts that hold on the shifter linkage. It is a bright aluminum colored finish that is not at all like steel or zinc plating. It's a 'warmer' color.

None of the bolts on the rest of the bike have it. E.g the bolts that hold in the battery box etc. These look like bare metal, probably a dull zinc plating but they do rust very easily in spite of it if it's there.

Both of my bikes are identical in this regard and both have had vastly different post-factory lives, so I'm confident that the bolt coating is original.

I guess I'll just have to keep experimenting with different silver spray paints until I find one that looks and protects the same. It'll still be cheaper than an SS bolt set...

1997 KZ1000P (P16)
2001 KZ1000P (P20)

• Z1Driver
  • User
  • love the smell of triple smoke
More
26 Oct 2015 09:04 #696029 by Z1Driver
Replied by Z1Driver on topic Engine paint, bolt paint, cold galzanization
Have you tried the Eastwood Company?

www.eastwood.com/paints/underhood-paints.html

Blue 1975 Z1B
Red 2009 Concours 14

More
28 Oct 2015 19:18 #696353 by jackleberry
Replied by jackleberry on topic Engine paint, bolt paint, cold galzanization
OK. Here's a picture of one of the valve cover bolts. Notice the pattern of wear. The darker parts around the edges of the bolt head are the metal underneath. The brighter parts are the paint-like coating.

Attachment IMG_20151028_203627.jpg not found

1997 KZ1000P (P16)
2001 KZ1000P (P20)
Attachments:

More
29 Oct 2015 03:39 - 29 Oct 2015 03:41 #696369 by redhawk4
I'd really like someone who is zinc plating to contribute a thread with some details of what they are using and how. I've been considering purchasing the equipment, I almost did, a month or two back, but then got mildly confused over some of the available or seemingly unavailable information that was out there. Looking at the plated parts shown here ny Nessim has really piqued my interest again, but a few pointers from someone actually doing it succesfully, regarding equipment and the materials used would be a great help

1978 KZ1000A2 Wiseco 1075 kit
1977 KZ650B1
1973 Triumph Tiger TR7V
1968 BSA Victor Special 441
2015 Triumph Thunderbird LT
1980 Suzuki SP400

Old enough to know better, still too young to care
Last edit: 29 Oct 2015 03:41 by redhawk4.

• Z1Driver
  • User
  • love the smell of triple smoke
More
29 Oct 2015 09:22 - 29 Oct 2015 09:29 #696418 by Z1Driver
Jack, looking at the pic of your valve cover, it appears to me the paint that is missing is the clear coat they put over over some parts.

The Bolt with the 7 is plated not painted. I use some of those same bolts. THey too got rustic looking after getting wrenched on so I ordered new ones. Without going out and looking, I believe I use 7's on the mirror bracket which could also be the clutch or brake reservoir depending which side.

Blue 1975 Z1B
Red 2009 Concours 14
Last edit: 29 Oct 2015 09:29 by Z1Driver.

More
29 Oct 2015 10:25 - 29 Oct 2015 10:26 #696423 by jackleberry
Replied by jackleberry on topic Re:Engine paint, bolt paint, cold galzanization

Z1Driver wrote: Jack, looking at the pic of your valve cover, it appears to me the paint that is missing is the clear coat they put over over some parts.

The Bolt with the 7 is plated not painted. I use some of those same bolts. THey too got rustic looking after getting wrenched on so I ordered new ones. Without going out and looking, I believe I use 7's on the mirror bracket which could also be the clutch or brake reservoir depending which side.

The photo was only meant to illustrate the bolt finish. Not the clear coat on valve cover ends...

As to the "plated not painted" statement. I just don't believe it. Plating doesn't wipe off with WD-40. As if knowing that weren't enough I even put brand new zinc plated hardware through the same process to prove it--plating was unaffected.

I'm not saying that the coating is paint, exactly, but whatever it is is some kind of very thin and uniform coat of metal powder in a soluble film (which sounds an awful lot like paint, but whatever). Some kind of dip? Vapor deposition? I don't know what it is and that's why I asked here. It sure as hell isn't electroplating.

1997 KZ1000P (P16)
2001 KZ1000P (P20)
Last edit: 29 Oct 2015 10:26 by jackleberry.

More
29 Oct 2015 10:33 #696424 by Nessism
The bolt in the photo seems to have a dull grayish green coating on them. I have no clue what this finish it but it's clearly inferior. I'd use that cheap cold galvanizing spray stuff on the bolt. Dab it on after the bolts are installed maybe since tightening the screw with that stuff applied will wipe it off. If you want something more durable I'd go for either GunKote, Durakote, or zinc. Most hardware on the bike is zinc so that's the obvious choice if you want a righteous job.

More
29 Oct 2015 12:50 #696448 by jackleberry
Replied by jackleberry on topic Re:Engine paint, bolt paint, cold galzanization

Nessism wrote: The bolt in the photo seems to have a dull grayish green coating on them. I have no clue what this finish it but it's clearly inferior. I'd use that cheap cold galvanizing spray stuff on the bolt. Dab it on after the bolts are installed maybe since tightening the screw with that stuff applied will wipe it off. If you want something more durable I'd go for either GunKote, Durakote, or zinc. Most hardware on the bike is zinc so that's the obvious choice if you want a righteous job.

Doesn't look green in real life. Just aluminum colored. Yeah. It's Kawasaki Brand Official Inferior Bolt Finish (TM). Unfortunately as I mentioned at the start the cold galvanizing spray I got just looks like gray primer. My home depot doesn't seem to carry the "bright" version. Maybe that would be closer--impossible to say without finding and buying it, I'm afraid. Yeah, zinc plating would probably be best, but there's no way I'm going to be able to do that and even if I could, I think it would be far cheaper to go the stainless steel route...

Rust is a constant battle anyway... It's not like putting zinc or SS bolts on is going to stop me from having to address it constantly (for all the remaining steel parts on the bikes)

I did find this great zinc plating tutorial though:

1997 KZ1000P (P16)
2001 KZ1000P (P20)

More
31 Oct 2015 06:13 #696617 by KZB2 650

jackleberry wrote:

Nessism wrote: The bolt in the photo seems to have a dull grayish green coating on them. I have no clue what this finish it but it's clearly inferior. I'd use that cheap cold galvanizing spray stuff on the bolt. Dab it on after the bolts are installed maybe since tightening the screw with that stuff applied will wipe it off. If you want something more durable I'd go for either GunKote, Durakote, or zinc. Most hardware on the bike is zinc so that's the obvious choice if you want a righteous job.

Doesn't look green in real life. Just aluminum colored. Yeah. It's Kawasaki Brand Official Inferior Bolt Finish (TM). Unfortunately as I mentioned at the start the cold galvanizing spray I got just looks like gray primer. My home depot doesn't seem to carry the "bright" version. Maybe that would be closer--impossible to say without finding and buying it, I'm afraid. Yeah, zinc plating would probably be best, but there's no way I'm going to be able to do that and even if I could, I think it would be far cheaper to go the stainless steel route...

Rust is a constant battle anyway... It's not like putting zinc or SS bolts on is going to stop me from having to address it constantly (for all the remaining steel parts on the bikes)

I did find this great zinc plating tutorial though:

Anybody ever try this ??? Or is this another for the "Good old Humor" thread. :silly: ....... they sell pure zinc plates on Ebay and a AA, a little wire, soap and pickle juice is way closer to my budget ........ I really only have a hand full of things I'd like to do anyway so the all out kit is too much right now.

1978 KZ650 b-2
700cc Wiseco kit 10 to 1.
1980 KZ750 cam, ape springs, stock clutch/ Barnett springs.
Vance and Hines Header w/ comp baffle and Ape pods, Dyna S and green coils, copper wires.
29MM smooth bores W/ 17.5 pilots, 0-6s and 117.5 main
16/42 gearing X ring chain and alum rear JT sprocket.

More
31 Oct 2015 07:05 - 31 Oct 2015 07:06 #696619 by JR
Ichiban moto :laugh: that guys a hoot. Remember the "carb putty" one
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

1980 kz750E1, Delkevic exhaust
Last edit: 31 Oct 2015 07:06 by JR.

More
31 Oct 2015 07:54 #696621 by Nessism
Google "zinc plating" and you will find a LOT of homemade setup suggestions. It's a very simple process to electroplate something, and zinc is one of the easier things to work with. Most home electrolyte formulas will work but the part will come out dull and gray, so you have to polish the zinc to make the part presentable. Polish too hard and the zinc comes off. I've been using a Caswell's kit and when you get the amps just right, along with their proprietary brightener, and the parts come out bright and shinny. More recently the electrolyte in my kit is spent and I can't get a good finish. Found an electrolyte formula on the internet published by some professional platter guy and trials were an utter failure. No clue what I did wrong, or if the formula is just bad, but I've order replenishment chemicals from Caswell's this week.