Engine paint, bolt paint, cold galzanization

More
31 Oct 2015 08:20 #696626 by jackleberry
Replied by jackleberry on topic Re:Engine paint, bolt paint, cold galzanization

KZB2 650 wrote:

jackleberry wrote:

Nessism wrote: The bolt in the photo seems to have a dull grayish green coating on them. I have no clue what this finish it but it's clearly inferior. I'd use that cheap cold galvanizing spray stuff on the bolt. Dab it on after the bolts are installed maybe since tightening the screw with that stuff applied will wipe it off. If you want something more durable I'd go for either GunKote, Durakote, or zinc. Most hardware on the bike is zinc so that's the obvious choice if you want a righteous job.

Doesn't look green in real life. Just aluminum colored. Yeah. It's Kawasaki Brand Official Inferior Bolt Finish (TM). Unfortunately as I mentioned at the start the cold galvanizing spray I got just looks like gray primer. My home depot doesn't seem to carry the "bright" version. Maybe that would be closer--impossible to say without finding and buying it, I'm afraid. Yeah, zinc plating would probably be best, but there's no way I'm going to be able to do that and even if I could, I think it would be far cheaper to go the stainless steel route...

Rust is a constant battle anyway... It's not like putting zinc or SS bolts on is going to stop me from having to address it constantly (for all the remaining steel parts on the bikes)

I did find this great zinc plating tutorial though:

Anybody ever try this ??? Or is this another for the "Good old Humor" thread. :silly: ....... they sell pure zinc plates on Ebay and a AA, a little wire, soap and pickle juice is way closer to my budget ........ I really only have a hand full of things I'd like to do anyway so the all out kit is too much right now.

That 'finished' result looked great, though, didn't it? Just goes to show you how close up you have to get to tell the difference between zinc plating and chrome spray paint...

1997 KZ1000P (P16)
2001 KZ1000P (P20)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
31 Oct 2015 09:29 #696631 by Nessism
BIG difference in performance and quality between zinc and rattle can spraypaint. To each their own though.

More
31 Oct 2015 10:36 #696638 by missionkz
Replied by missionkz on topic Re:Engine paint, bolt paint, cold galzanization
Yes but I think the whole thing in the knucklehead's Youtube was a hoax and for fun ... so it looked like paint to me too. LOL

Bruce
1977 KZ1000A1
2016 Triumph T120 Bonneville
Far North East Metro Denver Colorado

More
31 Oct 2015 11:05 #696640 by jackleberry
Replied by jackleberry on topic Re:Engine paint, bolt paint, cold galzanization

Nessism wrote: BIG difference in performance and quality between zinc and rattle can spraypaint. To each their own though.

Yeah, no argument there.

1997 KZ1000P (P16)
2001 KZ1000P (P20)