Z1 Leak Down Test

More
26 Oct 2015 05:47 #695990 by KZB2 650
Replied by KZB2 650 on topic Z1 Leak Down Test
I've read that sometimes a fouled plug should be replaced but you may have and probably do have several problems just besides that.

1978 KZ650 b-2
700cc Wiseco kit 10 to 1.
1980 KZ750 cam, ape springs, stock clutch/ Barnett springs.
Vance and Hines Header w/ comp baffle and Ape pods, Dyna S and green coils, copper wires.
29MM smooth bores W/ 17.5 pilots, 0-6s and 117.5 main
16/42 gearing X ring chain and alum rear JT sprocket.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
26 Oct 2015 05:56 #695993 by SWest

• Z1Driver
  • User
  • love the smell of triple smoke
More
26 Oct 2015 08:55 #696028 by Z1Driver
Replied by Z1Driver on topic Z1 Leak Down Test
I was refering to what happens sometimes when I forget to turn off the gas. A carb will leave me a puddle on the garage floor. I can't see a carb leaking when I'm riding.:whistle:

Blue 1975 Z1B
Red 2009 Concours 14

More
26 Oct 2015 15:55 #696064 by Kidkawie
Replied by Kidkawie on topic Z1 Leak Down Test
ok, if you park the bike and leave the gas on and it leaks onto the floor the valve or float height is off. Thats carbs 101. A high float level or bad shut off valve can/will cause a rich condition by flooding into the carb throat.

1975 Z1 900
1994 KX250 Supermoto
2004 KX125

• bugsinmyteeth
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
27 Oct 2015 04:00 - 27 Oct 2015 04:01 #696110 by bugsinmyteeth
Replied by bugsinmyteeth on topic Z1 Leak Down Test
I checked the spark plug of the cylinder that is fouling (#1) by pulling it and holding it near the frame. There was a weak spark. I pulled the plug at cylinder #4 and did the same. It had a strong spark that snapped when I hit the starter button.

Using a cheap digital multimeter I tested the primary windings of the coil, that is I touched the probes to the two connections on the end of the coil and got a reading of 4.0 (setting was on 200). I believe that to be normal.

Secondary Method 1: I am a little bit fuzzy on how to check the secondary windings. I've seen two different ways on youtube (surprise). The way I think you are to do it is change the setting on the multimeter to 20k and touch one probe to the spark plug wire while touching the other probe to one of the connections on the end of the coil like in the first test. Reading should be between 10k and 20k. My reading was 1, same as before I did the test. I took the spark plug wire off the coil and touched the probe to the place where it connects on the coil and touched the other probe to the connector on the end of the coil, thus eliminating the spark plug wire. I still got a reading of 1. That would indicate the coil has a problem.

Secondary Method 2: The other way I saw to test the secondary windings was to touch the probes to the two spark plug wires. Doing that I got a reading of 13.4k. If accurate, that would indicate the coil is okay. But this method was not given in the manual or by one of the youtube videos. It was used in a second video that popped up when I typed in "How to check a motorcycle coil." I don't trust this method.

My thought is that I have a coil with bad secondary windings. I'm going to take it to the service department of the cycle shop and see if they will test it. The problem is I got the same readings on the other coil. One of its spark plugs looked a little weak when touching it to the frame and cranking the starter, but not as bad as the one that is fouling the plug. That's why I can't just compare the two coils because it is possible the other one has issues too.

Summary: My conclusion is the primary windings are normal but the secondary windings have an issue. Indicates a need for a new coil, and probably two since I get similar readings with the other coil. Anyone see anything wrong with my method and/or conclusion?

Sorry for being wordy but I want to be clear so that anyone may tell what I did and let me know if I did something the wrong way.

The coil I have is Dyna Coil 3.0 OHM 0910

Digital Multimeter is a cheap Cen-Tech from Harbor Freight.

I still need to check the float in the carb and I w ill need to check valve clearances.

Old School Is Cool!

1975 Kawasaki 900 (Z1B)
1982 Suzuki GS750E

Northern KY
Last edit: 27 Oct 2015 04:01 by bugsinmyteeth.

More
27 Oct 2015 04:54 #696114 by Kidkawie
Replied by Kidkawie on topic Z1 Leak Down Test

bugsinmyteeth wrote: I checked the spark plug of the cylinder that is fouling (#1) by pulling it and holding it near the frame. There was a weak spark. I pulled the plug at cylinder #4 and did the same. It had a strong spark that snapped when I hit the starter button.

1) make sure you are using new spark plugs testing this way.

2) Try swapping wires between 1 and 4 and see if you have the same results or the weak spark moved from #1 to #4. Also, try swapping coils and see what your results are.

3) The factory Kawasaki service manual outlines how to test the coil using an ohm meter.

I don't think you should mess with anything else until you sort out the spark issue.

1975 Z1 900
1994 KX250 Supermoto
2004 KX125

More
27 Oct 2015 07:19 #696126 by jackleberry
Replied by jackleberry on topic Z1 Leak Down Test
New cables and caps are a lot cheaper than new coils and more likely to fail as well, so it would be smart to replace those first.

1997 KZ1000P (P16)
2001 KZ1000P (P20)

More
28 Oct 2015 06:35 - 28 Oct 2015 06:37 #696263 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Z1 Leak Down Test
Click here > Dyna Metal Core Spark Plug Wires

Old hard cracked plug wires can leak voltage, resulting in weak spark, when dry, and worse when damp, all of which may vary depending on position, placement and proximity to the engine head.

May resolve the problems by replacing the wires.

Dyna plug wires are available in solid metal core version, which come with non-resistance boots/caps already built-in.

If a resistance element is desired in the secondary loop, resistor boots/caps could be used instead. or R plugs could be installed with the non-resistor boots/caps.

Dyna also offers a resistor style graphite plug wire, which imo isn't as sturdy and long-lasting as is the solid metal core wire.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 28 Oct 2015 06:37 by Patton.

• Z1Driver
  • User
  • love the smell of triple smoke
More
28 Oct 2015 21:06 #696360 by Z1Driver
Replied by Z1Driver on topic Z1 Leak Down Test

Kidkawie wrote: ok, if you park the bike and leave the gas on and it leaks onto the floor the valve or float height is off. Thats carbs 101. A high float level or bad shut off valve can/will cause a rich condition by flooding into the carb throat.

Or maybe just maybe there is some junk on the seat. Getting off subject for a bit but my carb float levels are right on using the clear tube method. I will still pee a little gas on the floor once in a while. I’ve owned 3 Z1’s and they at some point or another have done so. The EPA removed over flow tubes from motor Cycles which was a bad idea for carbureted bikes.

Blue 1975 Z1B
Red 2009 Concours 14

• bugsinmyteeth
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
29 Oct 2015 03:58 #696375 by bugsinmyteeth
Replied by bugsinmyteeth on topic Z1 Leak Down Test

Kidkawie wrote:

bugsinmyteeth wrote: I checked the spark plug of the cylinder that is fouling (#1) by pulling it and holding it near the frame. There was a weak spark. I pulled the plug at cylinder #4 and did the same. It had a strong spark that snapped when I hit the starter button.

1) make sure you are using new spark plugs testing this way.

2) Try swapping wires between 1 and 4 and see if you have the same results or the weak spark moved from #1 to #4. Also, try swapping coils and see what your results are.

3) The factory Kawasaki service manual outlines how to test the coil using an ohm meter.

I don't think you should mess with anything else until you sort out the spark issue.

Thanks for the many responses, gents. I haven't had much time to work on it this week.

I agree, I need to stick to resolving this issue first. If it isn't the problem then I'll move on to the fuel and carbs. Even if it is the issue, I have a few other things that need addressed, like valve check and float height on carbs.

I got one of the coils off the bike. I'll reassemble and try your suggestions. I'm pretty sure I did some of those before but I tried so many things I kinda forget. Regarding following the factory service manual instructions on testing with an ohm meter, maybe it's a little clearer than my Clymer. I wasn't confident I understood the directions in the Clymer which is why I posted the details of my procedure in the other post. I went to youtube to get a visual but got different answers there. I'll get it figured out.

@Patton: your suggestion regarding plug wires makes sense. @Jackleberry said something similar. Plugs and wires may be a good idea any way.

Old School Is Cool!

1975 Kawasaki 900 (Z1B)
1982 Suzuki GS750E

Northern KY

More
29 Oct 2015 17:35 #696480 by 80B4
Replied by 80B4 on topic Z1 Leak Down Test
Check the voltage at the coils. If it is lower than the voltage at the battery you will need to clean all of the connections between the battery and the coils. I always also install a power relay into the ignition circuit. Others here don't like the power relay mod but I have been using relays for years and I've never had any problems.

1980B4 1000
1978 Z1R
1978 B3 750

More
30 Oct 2015 08:49 #696536 by jackleberry
Replied by jackleberry on topic Z1 Leak Down Test

80B4 wrote: Check the voltage at the coils. If it is lower than the voltage at the battery you will need to clean all of the connections between the battery and the coils. I always also install a power relay into the ignition circuit. Others here don't like the power relay mod but I have been using relays for years and I've never had any problems.

Good point. (I'm a fan of the relay mod myself). However, bad connections/low voltage to the coil wouldn't really explain why the spark is weaker on one plug than the other on the same coil.

1997 KZ1000P (P16)
2001 KZ1000P (P20)