Clutch housing wiggles?

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
23 Oct 2015 14:12 #695658 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic Clutch housing wiggles?
A simple lube and adjustment of the clutch actuator can do wonders.
Steve

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Oct 2015 15:52 #695671 by Markovich
Replied by Markovich on topic Clutch housing wiggles?
Ok update, I found the info on the clutch basket and what I have is within spec. I am going to reassemble and replace the cable and clean and inspect the actuatoe as swest recommends. I will need toget a new nut for it tomorrow. I noticed the pushrod was worn flat and had sharp corner on the tip so wondering if that could contribute? Ugh! We shall see. More to come. Later

1990 KZ1000P, 72k miles, 10 years in storage, new, bars, tires, chain and sprockets, seat, carbs cleaned, police equipement removed.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
23 Oct 2015 16:09 #695675 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic Clutch housing wiggles?
Grease the actuator. The push rod isn't a problem.
Steve
The following user(s) said Thank You: Markovich

More
23 Oct 2015 16:40 #695681 by floivanus
Replied by floivanus on topic Clutch housing wiggles?
A dirty pushrod (caked in road debris, grease, etc) can make the clutch action harsh. Not exactly the problem here, but any dirt/grime can make a huge difference.

As long as the cable routing is correct a good clean and properly lubed cable works well (my wife's bike broke a cable, found some NOS dirtbike cable in my stash that fit and put that on... The New Kawasaki cable goes on my bike)

my bikes; 80kz1000(project), 77 gl1000, 74 h2 (project)
Past; 78 kz1000, 83 kz550
Andrew

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
23 Oct 2015 16:46 #695682 by SWest

More
24 Oct 2015 04:40 #695707 by TexasKZ
Replied by TexasKZ on topic Clutch housing wiggles?

PLUMMEN wrote:

TexasKZ wrote: Did the nut that holds the basket onto the crank come loose?

Good thing you got on it before it all came flying apart :pinch: :blink: :ohmy:

Clutch isnt bolted to crankshaft. ;)

Sure 'nuf. Please insert transmission shaft instead, though I guess it doesn't really matter any more.

1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough

More
24 Oct 2015 14:00 #695781 by Markovich
Ok, update. I ordered EBC friction discs from Amazon as I am a prime member. I received the order and started putting discs into oil. Found out there were only 8ea discs inthe box. Damn! Not like I can send 8ea oily discs back. I contacted them to see what can be done to get me the 9th disc. This is setting me back a few days for sure. I have seen some talk of extra discs or steels what is that about? Oh well, more to come....:) Keith

1990 KZ1000P, 72k miles, 10 years in storage, new, bars, tires, chain and sprockets, seat, carbs cleaned, police equipement removed.

More
24 Oct 2015 14:18 #695784 by KZB2 650
Replied by KZB2 650 on topic Clutch housing wiggles?
That sucks most use the stock friction discs .....wish you would a asked......try Ebay or check more on Amazon maybe a seller sells them seperatly ?

1978 KZ650 b-2
700cc Wiseco kit 10 to 1.
1980 KZ750 cam, ape springs, stock clutch/ Barnett springs.
Vance and Hines Header w/ comp baffle and Ape pods, Dyna S and green coils, copper wires.
29MM smooth bores W/ 17.5 pilots, 0-6s and 117.5 main
16/42 gearing X ring chain and alum rear JT sprocket.

More
24 Oct 2015 15:13 #695788 by Markovich
Yeah, I am trying to get amazon to do something for me as we use them often. Really bad part is the only reason I bought them was because my order was not enough for the free shipping. I should have just paid the shipping. :( we shall see what if anything they will do for me. Just frustrates me because I was hoping to get it back together. Since I'm already waiting for my ZL 900 valve cover to be powder coated I now have two bikes down. I'm just gonna have to remember its for fun that I have these toys. Ride, why if I wanted to ride I would buy something new. :) later, Keith

More
25 Oct 2015 00:45 #695834 by zed1015
Replied by zed1015 on topic Clutch housing wiggles?

Markovich wrote: Ok, update. I ordered EBC friction discs from Amazon as I am a prime member. I received the order and started putting discs into oil. Found out there were only 8ea discs inthe box. Damn! Not like I can send 8ea oily discs back. I contacted them to see what can be done to get me the 9th disc. This is setting me back a few days for sure. I have seen some talk of extra discs or steels what is that about?

There is nothing missing from your EBC kit.
8 friction is the correct number for the std clutch.
How many frictions came out of your old set up ?
If 9 then you had an extra plate race kit in there from Barnett or APE etc.
These use 8 plains and 9 thinner frictions.
You cannot use 9 std frictions in their place as they won't fit (too thick) and you will have to buy a new extra plate kit from APE if you want to keep the same number.
If you had 8 plain and 8 friction then someone doubled up a plain plate to make it thicker which preloads the clutch pack.
This is the extra steel you have heard talk about and is a cheapskate way of beefing the clutch if you happen to have a spare plain lying about rather than paying for stronger springs.

AIR CORRECTOR JETS FOR VM CARBS AND ETHANOL RESISTANT VITON CHOKE PLUNGER SEAL REPLACMENT FOR ALL CLASSIC AND MODERN MOTORCYCLE CARBURETTORS
kzrider.com/forum/23-for-sale/611992-air-corrector-jets-

The following user(s) said Thank You: Street Fighter LTD

More
25 Oct 2015 12:41 #695924 by Markovich
So, mystery solved! Can I use the steels minus one if I get new springs? 9 came out. The steels have little dimples and look good for reuse. PO told me the clutch pull was extra stiff and it has been for me. My problem was the clutch wasn't releasing as it should. Recommendations?

More
25 Oct 2015 12:43 #695926 by Markovich
BTW why does my service manual say 9 or am I mis reading it? It's a 1990 KZP.