Clutch housing wiggles?

More
25 Oct 2015 12:49 #695928 by Markovich
Replied by Markovich on topic Clutch housing wiggles?
So,now I am thinking cable stretch?

1990 KZ1000P, 72k miles, 10 years in storage, new, bars, tires, chain and sprockets, seat, carbs cleaned, police equipement removed.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Oct 2015 12:54 - 25 Oct 2015 12:54 #695929 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Clutch housing wiggles?
You are reading the manual correctly. 9 friction plates / 8 smooth metal plates. The Police models came with more clutch plates than the normal KZ1000 models which have 8 and 7 . Also, the part numbers are different, so if you order normal KZ1000 clutch plates they will probably be too thick to fit 9 and 8 into the basket. Ed

Attachment 00003b-38.jpg not found

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
Attachments:
Last edit: 25 Oct 2015 12:54 by 650ed.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Markovich

More
25 Oct 2015 13:01 - 25 Oct 2015 13:03 #695930 by KZB2 650
Replied by KZB2 650 on topic Clutch housing wiggles?
Pretty sure the 2000 police bike uses 9.......... a couple of searches and brake downs showed that. Reg 1000s use 8 and the 650 uses 7........ Bike bandit or partzilla didn't give the total needed but PartsNmore and another I can't recall both said 9 needed for your police bike.

Beat by Ed again :laugh: :laugh:

1978 KZ650 b-2
700cc Wiseco kit 10 to 1.
1980 KZ750 cam, ape springs, stock clutch/ Barnett springs.
Vance and Hines Header w/ comp baffle and Ape pods, Dyna S and green coils, copper wires.
29MM smooth bores W/ 17.5 pilots, 0-6s and 117.5 main
16/42 gearing X ring chain and alum rear JT sprocket.
Last edit: 25 Oct 2015 13:03 by KZB2 650.

More
25 Oct 2015 13:10 #695933 by Markovich
OMG Ed, this just keeps getting better and better. :( I used a caliper on the new friction discs and they were within a millimeter of the old ones. It was just a quick look so I will go back and see what is up with that. I just looked at Amazon and it seems I made a mistake in ordering or something. This is going to cost me. Now I have to think about what I want to do next. The discs I have are soaking in oil as I write. When it rains it pours. Thanks for the information, I needed it. I'll keep at it...... :)

1990 KZ1000P, 72k miles, 10 years in storage, new, bars, tires, chain and sprockets, seat, carbs cleaned, police equipement removed.

More
25 Oct 2015 14:11 #695937 by Markovich
So, I have inspected my old discs and micd them. They are good and within spec so I am going to reuse them. I assembled the clutch and when I pull the handle the top plate cocks a bit. I surmise my springs are not evenly operating. This I think could cause the drag I feel. Sound right to you guys? I now own a new set of friction discs from ebc so let me know if you want them. :) Keith

More
25 Oct 2015 15:17 #695945 by zed1015
Replied by zed1015 on topic Clutch housing wiggles?

Markovich wrote: BTW why does my service manual say 9 or am I mis reading it? It's a 1990 KZP.

Oop's sorry ! The info I gave relates to the earlier z900/1000 etc although the extra steel plate info still applies so not a wasted reply I hope ?
I really must get in to the habit of reading members signatures to see what model bike they have :whistle:

AIR CORRECTOR JETS FOR VM CARBS AND ETHANOL RESISTANT VITON CHOKE PLUNGER SEAL REPLACMENT FOR ALL CLASSIC AND MODERN MOTORCYCLE CARBURETTORS
kzrider.com/forum/23-for-sale/611992-air-corrector-jets-

More
25 Oct 2015 16:52 #695953 by Markovich
Thanks for the feedback guys. I ordered some new springs and a new cable. When I put the bike together I worried about the cable at that time but went with it anyway. I cleaned and lubed the actuator as well. Like I said I pulled it apart not because it slipped but was pulling. After reassembly and observing the operation I think those springs aren't letting the clutch plate move evenly so instead of releasing fully one or more of the springs is stiffer than the rest. In theory the plate cocking would allow the area with the stiffer spring wouldn't release properly. In theory. :) when I get the new springs I will complete the reassembly. I will let you all know my findings. I just can't think of anything else. No binding of plates or discs either. If this pans out then that is something else I will have learned. Good thing it's a hobby.

More
29 Oct 2015 15:56 #696461 by Markovich
OK everyone. The verdict is in. I learned something that I didn't know. I received my new clutch springs today installed them, buttoned everything up and tested it. Started it up and noise level dropped dramatically! Clutch engaged properly and works as it should. So, here is what I found out. The old clutch springs had been in the bike sitting for around 10 years. For whatever reason several of the springs lost strength but a couple remained stronger. When the rod pushed on the plate the plate moved more easily on the springs that were weak. This cocked the plate and allowed the stronger springs to stay pressurized against the discs at an angle. That is what was causing the sounds and the drag that was excessive. I discovered this as a fluke because after the fiasco with the friction discs I bought, I reassembled the clutch. I just happened to decide to see how it would function and at that time noticed the cocking of the plate when I pulled the lever. I didn't expect this. When I think of those springs I think of slipping clutch not dragging clutch. Just wanted to let everyone know what I encountered in case something like that happens to you. Sorry about the long post but I'm back on the road......:) Later, Keith

More
31 Oct 2015 06:04 #696616 by KZB2 650
Replied by KZB2 650 on topic Clutch housing wiggles?
Good job on figuring this out ..... my springs were shot after 30 years and think its a good idea (for sure now) to replace them at least every 10 years ( I might sooner) ........ every spring on the bike is shot Valves, cam adjuster, brake, shifter etc needs replacing after that long.

1978 KZ650 b-2
700cc Wiseco kit 10 to 1.
1980 KZ750 cam, ape springs, stock clutch/ Barnett springs.
Vance and Hines Header w/ comp baffle and Ape pods, Dyna S and green coils, copper wires.
29MM smooth bores W/ 17.5 pilots, 0-6s and 117.5 main
16/42 gearing X ring chain and alum rear JT sprocket.