Connecting Rod Bolts

More
11 Oct 2015 12:35 #694159 by razmo99
Connecting Rod Bolts was created by razmo99
I am going to be doing an engine rebuild in the near future and am wondering if the connecting rod bolts need to be replaced or not?

- Z500 B4
-GPZ900R A9-10 ish

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Oct 2015 14:04 #694171 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic Connecting Rod Bolts
As long as its not a 900/1000 series bike I believe the smaller motors all have rod bolts.
You could find out the factory specs and check them for stretch.
If youre going to change rod bolts leave the rod bolted to the crank and replace/torque them one at a time to make sure things stay aligned.
Might as well check the bearings at the same time. ;)

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

More
11 Oct 2015 15:31 #694187 by razmo99
Replied by razmo99 on topic Connecting Rod Bolts
That's the plan. B)

Full sweep of every component in the bottom end to make sure it is spec.

I have purchased a donor bottom end with only 15k Km. That go torn down last weekend and I took the con rods off, I just need to go through and spec it all out them decide when to tear down my current motor.

- Z500 B4
-GPZ900R A9-10 ish

More
11 Oct 2015 15:34 #694188 by DFIGPZ
Replied by DFIGPZ on topic Connecting Rod Bolts
You do know that if you replace connecting rod bolts you must resize the rods after install ???

1984 750 Turbo

More
11 Oct 2015 16:18 #694193 by razmo99
I do not, but from the looks of it I wont have to replace the bolts.

- Z500 B4
-GPZ900R A9-10 ish

More
11 Oct 2015 19:40 #694210 by PLUMMEN

DFIGPZ wrote: You do know that if you replace connecting rod bolts you must resize the rods after install ???

Thats why I say to leave the rods bolted to the crank and use it as a mandrel,then just change them one at a time while leaving other bolt torqued.
I dont imagine hes going to be winding this little bike enough to hurt it.

More
11 Oct 2015 22:08 #694215 by razmo99
whats involved in re-sizing them?

If the bolts are not a one time use item I wont replace them. The FSM hasn't mentioned replacing them.

Kinda confused by all this.
If I don't change the bolts and just want to check bearing clearance. When I am done can I just re torque and good to go, or is their more to it than that?

- Z500 B4
-GPZ900R A9-10 ish

More
11 Oct 2015 23:08 #694216 by zed1015
Replied by zed1015 on topic Connecting Rod Bolts
Re use the original bolts and re torque on reassembly with a spot of Loctite on the threads and you will be good to go
There is nothing to "resize" whether using new bolts or not.

AIR CORRECTOR JETS FOR VM CARBS AND ETHANOL RESISTANT VITON CHOKE PLUNGER SEAL REPLACMENT FOR ALL CLASSIC AND MODERN MOTORCYCLE CARBURETTORS
kzrider.com/forum/23-for-sale/611992-air-corrector-jets-

More
12 Oct 2015 05:19 #694235 by KZB2 650
Replied by KZB2 650 on topic Connecting Rod Bolts
My Clymer (lol) says in the high performance section when hoping up the motor you should send out your rods to RC Engineering and have the rods heat treated, shotpeened, the small ends fitted with bronze bushings and new HD bolts fitted........ I remember RC being big on this in their early catalogs and always planned on having them at least shotpeened and new bolts fitted but am thinking its not needed. If I would have slit the case and went with the 810cc kit I think I would of though. (Not saying you should). ;)

I remember Lorcan runs turbo rods in his 750 and are reworked from the factory but not sure what is done to em.

I also remember (maybe Yosh??) or maybe just Cycle world talking of a big name (racing team) replacing theirs with chevy small block bolts as they are close but need just a little machining ...... this of course would be nuts and just relaying what I read.

1978 KZ650 b-2
700cc Wiseco kit 10 to 1.
1980 KZ750 cam, ape springs, stock clutch/ Barnett springs.
Vance and Hines Header w/ comp baffle and Ape pods, Dyna S and green coils, copper wires.
29MM smooth bores W/ 17.5 pilots, 0-6s and 117.5 main
16/42 gearing X ring chain and alum rear JT sprocket.

More
12 Oct 2015 07:50 #694252 by PLUMMEN
Check them for stretch while theyre torqued down on the crank,if theyre in spec check replace bearings if needed and put it back together as long as crank is good.

• Z1Driver
  • User
  • love the smell of triple smoke
More
12 Oct 2015 20:32 #694362 by Z1Driver
Replied by Z1Driver on topic Connecting Rod Bolts

PLUMMEN wrote: Check them for stretch while theyre torqued down on the crank,if theyre in spec check replace bearings if needed and put it back together as long as crank is good.

Pretty much what my Service manual said for the rods on a Zg 1400 motor. It said to use new rod bolts, check the strech and measure bearing clearence with plastic gauge. Absolutly nothing about resizing the big end of the rod.

Blue 1975 Z1B
Red 2009 Concours 14

More
13 Oct 2015 13:06 #694465 by DFIGPZ
Replied by DFIGPZ on topic Connecting Rod Bolts
Changing bolts DOES require resizing the big end of rod period. I have done many on my 750 turbos run a dial bore gauge on the big end before and after the new bolt and it WILL CHANGE.

1984 750 Turbo