my oil light keeps coming on on my '80 kz750 twin

More
17 Sep 2015 13:49 #690553 by lilpeaty
took the bike out last night after buying it on friday and it had seemed all good and fine until we took it out on he highway. changed the oil on saturday and now the bike gets overly hot and the oil light keeps coming on. anyone know what it might be?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Sep 2015 13:54 #690554 by 650ed
How did you verify that your oil is at the correct level? I ask because I've seen some folks not check it correctly.

Also, what oil did you put in when you changed the oil? Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
17 Sep 2015 14:04 #690557 by lilpeaty
ok so on saturday when i changed it yhe guys at the shop i talked to told me to get synthetic 10w/40, the level was slightly high. so last night we drained the oild and replaced the filter agin wih regular 10w/40 since we thought that could have been the problem as well. my hsband took it around the block a couple time and she seemed fin but when i went to take her out the light came on again. Any thoughts? my neighbor thinks it could be a blockage of some sort due to the synthetic

More
17 Sep 2015 14:06 #690560 by lilpeaty
ant ideas on how to check the sensor or to know if the oil pump is going out?

More
17 Sep 2015 14:08 #690562 by lilpeaty
also the only way for us to tell the oil level is the viewer window. is there another way to know?

More
17 Sep 2015 14:11 - 17 Sep 2015 14:12 #690564 by 650ed

lilpeaty wrote: ok so on saturday when i changed it yhe guys at the shop i talked to told me to get synthetic 10w/40, the level was slightly high. so last night we drained the oild and replaced the filter agin wih regular 10w/40 since we thought that could have been the problem as well. my hsband took it around the block a couple time and she seemed fin but when i went to take her out the light came on again. Any thoughts? my neighbor thinks it could be a blockage of some sort due to the synthetic

I'll ask again :

Also, what oil did you put in when you changed the oil? 10w40 synthetic or fossil could be the perfect oil or it could be the worst oil you could put in KZ motorcycle. It depends entirely on which oil you put in. Did you use motorcycle oil that has the JASO-MA designation on the container (that's good) or did you use car oil with automotive friction modifiers that are not JASO-MA compliant (that's bad)?

Last edit: 17 Sep 2015 14:12 by 650ed.

More
17 Sep 2015 14:13 #690565 by 650ed
When you checked the oil level was the engine shut off and was the bike sitting level on the center stand? Sorry if these questions sound insulting, but some folks really do this wrong. Ed

The following user(s) said Thank You: lilpeaty

More
17 Sep 2015 14:22 #690569 by lilpeaty
the oil cap says SAE 10w40 and the oil i used was jaso also the bike doesnt have a center stand but i did stand it up straight and on level ground

More
17 Sep 2015 14:34 #690570 by lilpeaty
to answer the question better it was motorcycle oil 10w/40 full synthetic for kawasaki with the designation on the bottle. is it ok to use synthetic or should i have used mineral?

More
17 Sep 2015 14:58 - 18 Sep 2015 02:55 #690572 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic my oil light keeps coming on on my '80 kz750 twin
How many miles are on the bike & what was the condition of the old oil & filter? Excessively dirty, any thick gunk, or anything unusual? I guess I'd check the screen on the oil pump. Also, maybe take a look at the oil pressure switch & its wire, in case something's glitchy or maybe there's a short. ???

The synthetic oil should be fine if it's a motorcycle oil. Synthetic oils have a higher degree of solvency, so they tend to clean the engine better which is one of the reasons folks say synthetic oils cause leaks --- they don't really cause leaks, they just clean up the gunk around old/dirty seals better. Not really applicable in this case, just some stuff.
Last edit: 18 Sep 2015 02:55 by martin_csr.

More
17 Sep 2015 15:04 #690573 by 650ed
I've used fully synthetic motorcycle oil (Mobil-1 Racing 4t) in my bike for the past 8 years (16,000+ miles) with no problems. Ed

The following user(s) said Thank You: lilpeaty

More
17 Sep 2015 15:06 #690574 by lilpeaty
the bike has about 41000 miles on it the old filter was actually pretty clean and so was the oil. i know the guy had it sitting for a few years but had kept some maintenance up on it. i am just worried about the motor seizing with how hot it gets. when we drianed out the synthetic it looked really strange but could be the stuff coming out of the motor?