oil coming from head bolt?

More
15 Sep 2015 20:30 - 15 Sep 2015 20:31 #690274 by jake88z28
oil coming from head bolt? was created by jake88z28
alright before the obvious missing bolt due to it being snapped off, why is oil coming up? it didnt do this until recently. head gasket doesnt seem blown but i could be wrong lol. after tightening a hair past tight enough no change so what is it out of curiosity? im tearing it down over winter and freshening the head as she has 35k on the clock, time for head work and just maybe boring and some spray ;) who knows lol

Attachment Snapchat--6451477481925620421.jpg not found

well i just bought my first kz 1000, this is gonna be fun..
1981 kz1000J - kerker 4-1, marzoochi shocks, dual oil coolers, coils/wires
Attachments:
Last edit: 15 Sep 2015 20:31 by jake88z28.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Sep 2015 21:22 #690275 by jackleberry
Replied by jackleberry on topic oil coming from head bolt?
You need to get a torque wrench and tighten all the cylinder head nuts to spec and only then torque those bolts. Not sure which model you have, but there are some oil seals in there in addition to the head gasket and being made of rubber they turn to dust in a few years. If torquing everything down doesn't help, then you'll need to remember to buy a set of those o-rings when you order your new head gaskets...

1997 KZ1000P (P16)
2001 KZ1000P (P20)

• Street Fighter LTD
  • TURBO, Its Better to be Blown than Injected
More
16 Sep 2015 03:02 #690287 by Street Fighter LTD
Replied by Street Fighter LTD on topic oil coming from head bolt?
Hi Jake
Welcome to KZR
Looking at the picture and your signature you have a KZ 1000, So with that assumption the oil you are seeing is seeping past the head bolt.
Your motor uses the area around the cylinder stud to transfer oil from the block, up thru the cylinder block and up into the head to supply fresh oil under pressure to the valve train .
I strongly suggest you purchase a factory manual for your KZ so you can see all this and more and enjoy every aspect of your classic bike.
Need anything else , just ask
Street Fighter LTD
Dave B) B) B)

Original owner 78 1000 LTD
Mr Turbo Race Kit, MTC 1075 Turbo pistons by PitStop Performance , Falicon Ultra Lite Super Crank, APE everything. Les Holt @ PDM's Billet Goodies . Frame by Chuck Kurzawa @ Logghe Chassis . Deep sump 5qt oil pan. RIP Bill Hahn
The following user(s) said Thank You: jake88z28

More
16 Sep 2015 03:52 #690295 by barney
Replied by barney on topic oil coming from head bolt?
Jake it looks like you have a problem with your flat washer under the head nut. They are copper under the 4 outside corner nuts and are seals for those studs(since they are part of the oiling system)
Oh yea definitely get a factory Kawasaki service manual

Barney
The following user(s) said Thank You: jake88z28

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
16 Sep 2015 04:35 #690297 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic oil coming from head bolt?
Year and model would help. A manual is a must even if it's a :ohmy: Climer.
Steve

More
16 Sep 2015 08:57 #690315 by jake88z28
Replied by jake88z28 on topic oil coming from head bolt?
thanks guys yeah a manual wouldn't hurt that's for sure! we've only got a month left of season in NY so im just gonna park it for the year and when projects start to sort out ill tear into the ol girl over winter and hopefully emerge from the garage in spring with a hot kz ready to whoop up some cracker jack box crotch rockets lol B)

well i just bought my first kz 1000, this is gonna be fun..
1981 kz1000J - kerker 4-1, marzoochi shocks, dual oil coolers, coils/wires