APE cam-chain adjuster leaks...

• daveo
  • Topic Author
  • Premium Member
More
12 Sep 2015 19:00 #689816 by daveo
APE cam-chain adjuster leaks... was created by daveo
I haven't looked really close at it yet, but a small amount of engine oil seems to be getting past my APE cam-chain adjuster, and ending up on the bottom cooling fin at the front of the cylinder block.

Will a fiber gasket provide a better (more permanent) seal, versus replacing the o-ring used between the adjuster body and cylinder block? Then there is a 3/8" +/- o-ring that gets chewed up by the threads and jam-nut, where oil may be leaking as well.

1982 KZ1100-A2

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
12 Sep 2015 19:23 #689817 by SWest

• daveo
  • Topic Author
  • Premium Member
More
12 Sep 2015 20:24 #689820 by daveo
Replied by daveo on topic APE cam-chain adjuster leaks...

swest wrote: Pics?
Steve

Sorry, but I already wiped the oil off the front and probably won't be able to get a good pic of the back, with the carbs in the way...but here's a reference shot from mid-March when the new top-end was coming together.
Oil seeps onto the fin below the adjuster, then runs forward due to the angle of the motor when enough has accumulated. It isn't much of a leak, and just shows up at the front occasionally.
I want to have a seal on-hand, before pulling everything to get at it.

1982 KZ1100-A2

Attachments:

More
12 Sep 2015 22:50 #689824 by jackleberry
Replied by jackleberry on topic APE cam-chain adjuster leaks...
Wow. Shiny. You say the front of the motor? How does the oil get from the back to the front? Seems much more likely to me that the cam chain gallery o-ring that always leaks is what's leaking, and not the tensioner. But yeah, sure, spend $1 on some gasket paper or liquid gasket and see what happens.

1997 KZ1000P (P16)
2001 KZ1000P (P20)
The following user(s) said Thank You: daveo

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
13 Sep 2015 03:09 #689831 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic APE cam-chain adjuster leaks...
Tho you might have a small leak in the adjuster, chances are it's the O ring around the cam chain that's the culprit. Having the crank case breather not connected to a vacuum source will allow the pressure to build inside the engine, thus leaks.
Steve
The following user(s) said Thank You: daveo

• daveo
  • Topic Author
  • Premium Member
More
13 Sep 2015 05:07 #689839 by daveo

swest wrote: Tho you might have a small leak in the adjuster, chances are it's the O ring around the cam chain that's the culprit. Having the crank case breather not connected to a vacuum source will allow the pressure to build inside the engine, thus leaks.
Steve

I used the K&N breather for a short time, but the wafting engine odor drove me nuts when the bike wasn't moving. So, the rubber tube to the air box was put back on.
Last observation I didn't see oil at the top of the cylinder, but I'll take a closer look...

1982 KZ1100-A2

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
13 Sep 2015 05:23 #689840 by SWest
It will run cooler that way. It will also prevent pressure build up inside the engine. It's before the filter so that's not a problem. Why anyone would remove it is beyond me. :whistle:
Steve

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
13 Sep 2015 05:26 #689841 by SWest
Attachments:

• daveo
  • Topic Author
  • Premium Member
More
13 Sep 2015 10:17 #689879 by daveo

swest wrote: It will run cooler that way. It will also prevent pressure build up inside the engine. It's before the filter so that's not a problem. Why anyone would remove it is beyond me. :whistle:
Steve

When running pods, there is not much choice. I had pods for a short stint a couple years ago, but realized the compromise wasn't worth the problems associated with that, so I went back to the air box. Still have the (like new) pods and breather BTW...

Looking at it closer, it appears the problem is isolated to the small o-ring area on the adjustment shaft behind the jam-nut. That is a tough spot to provide a good seal, since the oil gets past the o-ring by riding along the threads which aren't sealed. Besides, after multiple head swaps, that little o-ring has surely seen it's better days. And with the bike parked most often on the side-stand, that would explain why the oil stayed on the left side, and on the second fin up.

Perhaps if I back the nut off and loosen the bolt enough, I could wipe a coat of Threebond 1211 sealant on the threads before tightening it back up...after a good solvent wash to clean the oil off the adjuster parts. That may do the trick, and save having to remove the unit from the engine, with all that involves...

Pics as requested:

1982 KZ1100-A2

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
13 Sep 2015 10:25 - 13 Sep 2015 10:25 #689882 by SWest
My adjuster leeks a tad too. I'd use RTV to seal it up so you can adjust it. I think you're getting some seeping from the O ring too. Clean it off and spray some powder deodorant around the area and check for leaks in a few miles. I HATE THAT O RING. :angry:
Steve
Last edit: 13 Sep 2015 10:25 by SWest.

• daveo
  • Topic Author
  • Premium Member
More
13 Sep 2015 11:17 #689887 by daveo

swest wrote: My adjuster leeks a tad too. I'd use RTV to seal it up so you can adjust it. I think you're getting some seeping from the O ring too. Clean it off and spray some powder deodorant around the area and check for leaks in a few miles. I HATE THAT O RING. :angry:
Steve

At least we know the oil seals are good between the head and cylinder block...whew!
I've had it more than once, where an oil passage o-ring lets go. Been good so-far this time. I think this exceptional low (8000) mile ZN head has a lot to do with it, requiring very-little prep for use.

When using a one-piece (Cometic) head gasket, are the o-rings still placed in the recesses in the cylinder block to head mating surface?

1982 KZ1100-A2

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
13 Sep 2015 12:39 #689898 by SWest
I suspect it could be used and the holes made larger for the O rings. The one thing I can think of is fitment. The locators, 10mm? The spacing of the cylinders? The new head probably isn't as warped as the old one. I'd check with the supplier if he has a one piece to fit a J head. The width of the gasket around where the O rings would help from leaks if the O rings fail. The early gaskets have a copper ring to seal where you have a O ring.
Steve