splitting cases

More
30 Aug 2015 07:38 #687802 by bassie10
splitting cases was created by bassie10
I have never split an engine, I want to open up my z1000st engine, put in a new final axle and close it again.
I can get some spare cases, and I already have a new axle.

is this a job were problems are expected? I can get a set of seals from ebay germany for about 40 dollar, see picture.
Would that be all I need if the bearings are fine? Are the 2 cases sealed with sealant, is it easy to close it without leaks?

Attachment BizZuwCGkKGrHqMOKiMEsnDHCSkBLQ09cRtig_12.jpg not found

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
30 Aug 2015 07:47 - 30 Aug 2015 07:48 #687807 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic splitting cases
New seals are a good idea. Just make sure you get the bolts on the top of the case. Often overlooked, if you use the bolt method, you can crack them if not removed. You don't have to pull the head unless you are changing the cam chain. Put up pics before you start so we can guide you along.
Steve
Last edit: 30 Aug 2015 07:48 by SWest.

• Tyrell Corp
  • User
  • "You were made as well as we could make you"
More
30 Aug 2015 08:56 #687816 by Tyrell Corp
Replied by Tyrell Corp on topic splitting cases
Splitting a motor on the big fours is quite a lot easier the the smaller 400-750's fours. Simple gear driven primary drive, as opposed to a chain and primary shaft makes things a bit less busy inside the crankcases.

To spit the cases and get to the transmission shaft you might be able to leave the crank ,clutch and other gear shaft in place.
To replace the crank oil seals you need to remove the alternator rotor with either the special tool or a bolt with the right thread. Cases are re-sealed with kawibond sealant or similar.

A new oil seal for the oil pump and new clutch centre nut, if disturbed, iis recommended. Also check the crank damper washer- comes in three thicknesses and I think they can wear.

1980 Gpz550 D1, 1981 GPz550 D1. 1982 GPz750R1. 1983 z1000R R2. all four aces