Just not running hard enough

More
27 Aug 2015 14:40 #687365 by drewd2385
Replied by drewd2385 on topic Just not running hard enough
What should be the compression on the cylinders? Doing that in a few hours

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
27 Aug 2015 15:37 #687370 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic Just not running hard enough
If your valves are too tight, you will have low compression on those cylinders. Could burn valves too. I'd check them first.
Steve

More
03 Sep 2015 22:49 #688569 by drewd2385
Checked compression and was at about 125 and 130 on all but it was out of time so I to.33rd it ran it and ran a lot better and climes through Rome like it should but just not as fast as I think it should to my liking so I want to know if that could be something to do with the jets and accelorator pump? I have 127.5 jets but do t know the pilot size and suggestions?

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
04 Sep 2015 06:55 #688593 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic Just not running hard enough
I don't understand why guys refuse to adjust the valves even when they've been told burned valves could be the result. :huh: The first time I did mine in 75, all were tight. I was sure it was the carbs but after doing them it idled like a kitten and the power came back. It took a while but I coughed up the money for some Carb Styx. As time went on I became more confident in my ability to work on this bike. I had my nose in every bike mag I could get my hands on. The only time I went back to the carbs is when I did the 1015 overbore in 78. Stock cams, one up on the main jet, slip on Jardines, monkeyed with the pilots (went back to 17.5's) and rode the piss out of it. I didn't get my Andrews 1X cams until 84.
What I'm trying to say is, the biggest influence on the running of the bike was the valve adjustments.
BTW, I've gone through one tire on the back. Time to adjust my valves again. B)
Steve

More
04 Sep 2015 09:20 #688621 by drewd2385

swest wrote: I don't understand why guys refuse to adjust the valves even when they've been told burned valves could be the result. :huh: The first time I did mine in 75, all were tight. I was sure it was the carbs but after doing them it idled like a kitten and the power came back. It took a while but I coughed up the money for some Carb Styx. As time went on I became more confident in my ability to work on this bike. I had my nose in every bike mag I could get my hands on. The only time I went back to the carbs is when I did the 1015 overbore in 78. Stock cams, one up on the main jet, slip on Jardines, monkeyed with the pilots (went back to 17.5's) and rode the piss out of it. I didn't get my Andrews 1X cams until 84.
What I'm trying to say is, the biggest influence on the running of the bike was the valve adjustments.
BTW, I've gone through one tire on the back. Time to adjust my valves again. B)
Steve

The guy that came obe and helped me checked the valve when we re timed it and they were fine he said run a lot better but just don't think my accelerator pump isn't working I adjusted the needles all the way down and it sounded a hole he'll of a lot better and I is idling