• Nessism
  • Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
More
09 Aug 2015 20:07 - 09 Aug 2015 20:07 #685178 by Nessism
Crank Bearing Wear was created by Nessism
First photo shows the worst three bearings. KZ750E

Second photo shows the others.

There is a nick in one of the bearings that concerns me, but otherwise the shiny marks don't seem to have suffered significant material loss.

What say ye? Replace or run?

[IMG

[IMG
Last edit: 09 Aug 2015 20:07 by Nessism.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Tyrell Corp
  • User
  • "You were made as well as we could make you"
More
09 Aug 2015 21:05 - 09 Aug 2015 21:06 #685184 by Tyrell Corp
Replied by Tyrell Corp on topic Crank Bearing Wear
I've reused before when there is wear and some light pick up but always use plastiguage to check the clearances, I take it you have marked the shells so you can re-position them?

Attachment 085.jpg not found

does the crank look like? the nick in 2 is odd, has it been taken apart before? what are the big end shells like?

1980 Gpz550 D1, 1981 GPz550 D1. 1982 GPz750R1. 1983 z1000R R2. all four aces
Attachments:
Last edit: 09 Aug 2015 21:06 by Tyrell Corp.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nessism

More
09 Aug 2015 22:45 #685193 by Tyler
Replied by Tyler on topic Crank Bearing Wear
Those don't look bad at all. Some minor scoring but other wise good. If the crank journals look good your fine. You should check the clearances, plastiguage doesn't lie. And as Tyrell asked... do the rods look the same or better?

I would probably replace them if it were me, because then you would bring the bottom end back to almost new. I guess for you it would depend on what your building the bike for and how much time and money is going into it. So it's your call but I'd see no serious issue with re-using what you have shown... so long as the clearance are good ( and from the looks Id say it is).

If I knew what I was doing all the time life wouldn't be any fun.

'80 KZ650 E 700cc, dyna ignition and coils, frame up restoration, daily driver
'81 KZ1300 A3 full restoration, custom big bore pistons, 1400cc 6 cylinder super bike
"77 KZ650 B1 - Barn Find, work in progeress
"74 Yamaha DT 400 Enduro

• Tyrell Corp
  • User
  • "You were made as well as we could make you"
More
10 Aug 2015 12:23 #685267 by Tyrell Corp
Replied by Tyrell Corp on topic Crank Bearing Wear
...but also these kz shell / forged crank bottom ends are really strong, unless starved of oil . Any out of spec wear will be apparent with the plastiguage test -better than micrometers imo.

The soft white metal bearing shells and the oil wears out, the cranks just 'float' on oil pressure with no metal/metal contact apart from cold starts.

So for me, as an amateur I'd reuse them assuming your measured clearances are within tolerance. As a pro for for a paying customer then there is little incentive to take any risks here on what is a fairly inexpensive cost compared to that of a pro full engine rebuild.

1980 Gpz550 D1, 1981 GPz550 D1. 1982 GPz750R1. 1983 z1000R R2. all four aces

• Nessism
  • Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
More
10 Aug 2015 14:39 #685284 by Nessism
Replied by Nessism on topic Crank Bearing Wear
Thanks for the comments guys.

I'm inclined to reuse these bearings and will do a sanity check via plastigauge. I'm fairly certain they will be fine since there isn't any significant material loss on either the bearing or crank itself. Just a little localized scuffing.