Drag Pipes

• Tyrell Corp
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • "You were made as well as we could make you"
More
15 Jul 2015 08:19 #680981 by Tyrell Corp
Drag Pipes was created by Tyrell Corp
Following on from a recent thread here about a chop with drag pipes, I'm interested in the science behind it.

I've seen lots of customs running on drag pipes, the scavenging effect of the collector and tailpipe length on a four is well known, also a 4-1 sound is music to my ears -pure heavy metal.

Whether this means certain death to the exhaust valves if running on drags is uncertain. Interesting thread here:

www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/shor...iction.265982/page-2

A couple of things I'd add:

1)The ww2 Merlin aero engines would overheat quickly, within minutes, when not airbourne, this is what I've read elsewhere,

2) From the last post in the thread: "After running hard and getting things extra hot (especially if you are lean because you didn't re-tune it), when you come down to an idle, the reversion pulse (yes, even in a 3/4" long port there is a reversion pulse) carries ambient temp air to the extra hot valve, and causes a slight warpage. Now you have a slight exhaust valve leak that will eventually (it may take a few thousand miles or so) erode the valve (a 'burnt' valve).

The cold ambient air "carried" to the hot exhaust valve sounds wrong, it is a negative pressure wave, it is about wave motion. not movement down the exhaust port/pipe. Rather like if I chuck a kettle of boiling water into one end of a cold bath, the wave from the splash travels to the other end and back again, but the water remains pretty much where it is .

1980 Gpz550 D1, 1981 GPz550 D1. 1982 GPz750R1. 1983 z1000R R2. all four aces
The following user(s) said Thank You: SWest

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.