Engine swap ??

• skooterbum4real
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
13 Jul 2015 17:04 #680742 by skooterbum4real
Engine swap ?? was created by skooterbum4real
I'm selling one of my 78 kz650's. I haven't heard the engine on this bike run since purchasing it. I was told by the previous owner, that he was told by his local bike shop, that two of the cylinders were low on compression. I discovered that one of the coils on this bike was bad. The bike has the Dyna ignition and Dyna coils. So I'm questioning his shops diagnosis about the low compression.

I've discussed this with the guy that's purchasing this bike, and he also questions the reliability of the shops diagnosis. This brings me to my question, I also have an 82 kz650 CSR, that's a good running engine. If the engine in the 78 kz650 that I'm selling has compression problems, would the 82 kz650 CSR engine be a direct swap into the 78's frame ??

1978 KZ650B 8,500 miles
1976 KZ750 Twin
SPECIAL CONSTRUCTION V-TWIN CHOP

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Jul 2015 08:08 #680803 by baldy110
Replied by baldy110 on topic Engine swap ??
Yes

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
14 Jul 2015 14:40 #680844 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic Engine swap ??
It will be a salvage title thus worth less. Some states the title has to be changed.
Steve

More
14 Jul 2015 17:35 #680875 by missionkz
Replied by missionkz on topic Engine swap ??

swest wrote: It will be a salvage title thus worth less. Some states the title has to be changed.
Steve

Because of an engine swap, the title (usually recordable as the frame numbers) is called salvage? I didn't know that.

Bruce
1977 KZ1000A1
2016 Triumph T120 Bonneville
Far North East Metro Denver Colorado

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
14 Jul 2015 19:28 #680896 by SWest
In some states yes. If the title has the engine numbers and the frame, they have to be recorded thus salvage title. In the 70/80's, the cops would pour over the bike looking for a mismatched Vin. Hell that's how Doug the thug got busted with my old dead truck. :evil:
Steve

More
14 Jul 2015 19:57 #680906 by jackleberry
Replied by jackleberry on topic Engine swap ??

swest wrote: It will be a salvage title thus worth less. Some states the title has to be changed.
Steve

"Some states" being only CA and MN I think.

1997 KZ1000P (P16)
2001 KZ1000P (P20)

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
14 Jul 2015 21:11 #680916 by SWest

• skooterbum4real
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
14 Jul 2015 22:27 #680928 by skooterbum4real
Replied by skooterbum4real on topic Engine swap ??

Steve

I live in Iowa in the US. I've never heard of that law here, but I'm not sure one way or another. It's worth checking out though. I do know that our bikes engine numbers are not recorded on the titles. Just the frames numbers.

We have an enormous amount of custom car clubs here, and I'm sure more than half of there custom cars do not have the factory engines installed. Quite often you'll find a Ford engine in a Chevy, and vice versa. I know there not required to be titled as salvage.

I feel sorry for the people that that law affects.

1978 KZ650B 8,500 miles
1976 KZ750 Twin

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
15 Jul 2015 07:35 #680963 by SWest
A lot of it has to do with combating stolen parts and bike/car rings. Some by the EPA and some by local smog Regs. As I said, if the Eng. # and the frame # is on the title, it will be on the registration. Some cops love to find a mismatched Vin or Egn. # and impound the bike. It makes for a really FK'ed up day for the owner and a good laugh for his buddies. I've been involved with LE for 19 years and can tell you, there are some Chicken SHT cops that make the rest look bad. :angry:
Best not to give them the opportunity or pleasure.
Steve

More
15 Jul 2015 13:57 - 15 Jul 2015 13:58 #681019 by baldy110
Replied by baldy110 on topic Engine swap ??
Not in California, you simply report the engine swap with the DMV. And so what if it ends up with a salvage title as long as you can still ride it.
Last edit: 15 Jul 2015 13:58 by baldy110.

• skooterbum4real
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
16 Jul 2015 12:12 #681140 by skooterbum4real
Replied by skooterbum4real on topic Engine swap ??
I agree, reselling a bike with a salvage title kills the selling price. I don't even bother with a bike that has a salvage title.

What do the states do with the custom home built bikes, like my custom chopper ?? I had to save all my paperwork and MSO's to get my bike titled. The Iowa DOT came out and stamped there own number onto the frame of the bike that I built, and was given a title with the DOT chosen numbers. So I am left with a big pile of numbers for each major part, and now there are two different numbers stamped into my custom frame, the manufacturer of my frame stamped there number into the frame, as did the DOT.....

Will this bike be considered to be a salvage titled bike in other states ??

I know this is off track from the kaw motor swap......

1978 KZ650B 8,500 miles
1976 KZ750 Twin

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
16 Jul 2015 12:41 #681142 by SWest
My Z1 has a salvage title. When I had the wreck, I bought the frame I have now from Mike at Riverside motorcycle salvage. He told me the receipt he was giving me saying "Value received" would keep it from being a salvage title. LIE. $300 :angry: Not only is it a salvage title but the frame was damaged too. :pinch: This guy was and is a crook. He lost the business and started another one. I found him, he was being a jerk as he was pouring oil down a rain drain in Costa Mesa. I turned him to the AQMD. GOTCHA. :evil:
Now if I have another accident, no insurance company will pay what it would be worth. That's why you don't want a salvage title. :whistle:
Steve