Manual Tensioner Instructions - concerned

• Pontiacdude210
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
16 Jun 2015 09:45 #676811 by Pontiacdude210
Manual Tensioner Instructions - concerned was created by Pontiacdude210
These are the instructions that came with my manual CCT. Something doesn't seem right. I thought the cam covers have to be in place to install a tensioner? But then how do I know how tight to go with it?
[IMG

-1980 KZ550C Viper Red, Black Fenders

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Pontiacdude210
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
16 Jun 2015 09:47 #676812 by Pontiacdude210
Replied by Pontiacdude210 on topic Manual Tensioner Instructions - concerned
I also have a manual OEM tensioner from an earlier 650. Will that work or be a better option? The stocker on my 80 that's all automatic concerns me.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
16 Jun 2015 10:51 #676821 by SWest

More
16 Jun 2015 11:16 #676825 by zed1015
Replied by zed1015 on topic Manual Tensioner Instructions - concerned
Do it like this, works every time and no need to remove the cam cover.

Get a 17mm wrench on the ign side of the crank.
Rotate the crank clockwise with the wrench so that all the slack is taken up at the front,
Now by gently rocking the crank ( first anticlockwise and back ) with the wrench ( not enough to move the pistons ) you will feel the slack in the camchain on the tensioner side.
Whilst rocking the crank you need to simultaneously wind the APE tensioner in by HAND until the amount the wrench can be moved is reduced and you can barely feel any give in the chain. ( As you rock the crank the tensioner screw will rotate very easily with your fingers )
Once that point is reached, rotate the crank a few times , re-check and then lock off the tensioner.
You should now be good to go.

AIR CORRECTOR JETS FOR VM CARBS AND ETHANOL RESISTANT VITON CHOKE PLUNGER SEAL REPLACMENT FOR ALL CLASSIC AND MODERN MOTORCYCLE CARBURETTORS
kzrider.com/forum/23-for-sale/611992-air-corrector-jets-

The following user(s) said Thank You: 0Z.Z1R Mk2, Pontiacdude210, bluezbike, 80B4, Randombeat

• Pontiacdude210
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
18 Jun 2015 23:27 #677227 by Pontiacdude210
Replied by Pontiacdude210 on topic Manual Tensioner Instructions - concerned
Thanks man. I got 'er done! First 2 times I was gun shy and left it too loose. Hell of a noise. Next time I dorked up the jam nut and it came loose. Last time through, I turned by hand until the crank got noticeably harder to turn. Then I cranked the jam nut down good. Nice quiet happy chain. Thanks.