Cylinders 2 & 3 not firing!

More
16 Jun 2015 09:21 #676807 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic Cylinders 2 & 3 not firing!
Copy and keep this in your tool box:

Testing Kawasaki and other brands of Motorcycle Ignition Coils For Input Voltage:

When voltage testing Kawasaki and other brands of Ignition Coils, the following needs to be done:

1. Remove the fuel/gas tank to access the coils.

2. Fully charge the battery.

3. Using a multimeter, set it up for VDC(Volts, Direct Current), range of 20.

4. Turn on the ignition switch and the run/stop switch to “Run”.

5. Put the multimeter’s RED probe on where the red or red/yellow wire goes on the ignition coil.

6. Put the multimeter’s BLACK probe on either the battery Negative(-) post/terminal or a good frame ground.

7. You should be able to see battery voltage at the ignition coil connection, but this depends on the current draw of other items in the same circuit.

8. If the tested voltage is down to 8-9 volts, you probably need to clean the many and various electrical connectors.

9. To check the spark output at the sparkplugs, use Ignition Spark Testers. Instead of grounding the sparkplug with the sparkplug wire attached, looking for a spark. This method puts the IC Igniter and ignition coils at risk of failure due to high currents, and possible internal shorting.

These bikes have a 5000 ohm, non-replaceable resistor in the sparkplug caps. They go bad from heat, vibration and age. New ones are available at most Japanese motorcycle stores, or through Z1 Enterprises, Inc. - Specializing in Vintage Japanese Motorcycle Parts, including New Old Stock & aftermarket parts. www.z1enterprises.com is their website.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Jun 2015 10:59 #676822 by missionkz
Replied by missionkz on topic Cylinders 2 & 3 not firing!

TexasKZ wrote:

TexasKZ wrote: Yes, missionkz, I meant VDC. Good catch. :blush:

Although, if he did detect AC at the coil, we'd have a much more intriguing problem to discuss :whistle:

Pulsing DC voltage, with rise and fall time is the definition of AC... nearly exactly what a coil does while in operation.... LOL.

Bruce
1977 KZ1000A1
2016 Triumph T120 Bonneville
Far North East Metro Denver Colorado

More
16 Jun 2015 11:07 - 16 Jun 2015 11:08 #676823 by missionkz
Replied by missionkz on topic Cylinders 2 & 3 not firing!
Adding to MFolks....
If the ignition system is not electronic, as in, it has points... you will get a better idea of the voltage delivered to the coils if the points are open.
Since the actual +12v feeder is common to both coils, one grounded will still show a voltage drop....
I checked mine with a thick piece of paper between both point's contacts so the coils were not grounded and I could see what the actual voltage was from coil + lug to ground.
That way I was only seeing the effects of lousy wiring and connector DC resistance loss.

That is true with electronic systems too, if you can figure out when the electronic ignition system "simulates" the points being open and closed for coil charging and secondary discharge. I guess you could just take the +12v lead off the Elec Ign system.
Bottom line:
There will be a voltage drop across the coil primary winding when the ignition system has either the coil grounded... via points or a transistor... etc.

Bruce
1977 KZ1000A1
2016 Triumph T120 Bonneville
Far North East Metro Denver Colorado
Last edit: 16 Jun 2015 11:08 by missionkz.

More
21 Jun 2015 17:49 #677642 by krayneeum
Replied by krayneeum on topic Cylinders 2 & 3 not firing!
Well hey all,.. sort of an update here but not what you'd expect!

Was on my way to my buddy's place to work on the KZ when... I was hit! I went flying through the air, and am totally okay all things considered. The KZ on the other hand, is not doing so well. Took a direct hit to the engine. Besides obvious cosmetic damage, it wouldn't start and was making some terrible noises when I tried to crank it.

Made it into the paper, check it out: chicago.suntimes.com/news/7/71/707945/mo...lps-nap-motorist-hit

More
21 Jun 2015 19:05 - 21 Jun 2015 19:06 #677659 by moneypit
Replied by moneypit on topic Cylinders 2 & 3 not firing!
Glad to hear your OK!! And the dumb a$$ is going to get whats coming to him/her. Make him pay for any and all repair costs out of his/her own pocket til it hurts!

2-76 kz900
St Paul MN
Last edit: 21 Jun 2015 19:06 by moneypit.

More
21 Jun 2015 19:06 #677660 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Cylinders 2 & 3 not firing!
Glad to see you're OK. I would find a good lawyer and nail that hit and run jerk! Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
21 Jun 2015 19:15 #677661 by LineArtist
Replied by LineArtist on topic Cylinders 2 & 3 not firing!
First - very glad you are safe and had the energy to take that awesome photo for the paper. Hit and run is a serious offense, leaving a plate at the scene is just stupid. Get some good legal representation. Obviously your bike can't be replaced, so the next best thing would be a new H2, So you can sell it (not ride it) and work on the KZ until it's proper again.

-cheers!

'79 KZ650B3 (stock)
'79 KZ650B3 (parts bike)
'06 HD 883R

More
21 Jun 2015 22:49 #677678 by krayneeum
Replied by krayneeum on topic Cylinders 2 & 3 not firing!
Thanks guys! Was pretty much the best case scenario as far as accidents go. I hope justice will be served!

LineArtist wrote: First - very glad you are safe and had the energy to take that awesome photo for the paper. Hit and run is a serious offense, leaving a plate at the scene is just stupid. Get some good legal representation. Obviously your bike can't be replaced, so the next best thing would be a new H2, So you can sell it (not ride it) and work on the KZ until it's proper again.

-cheers!

I was just super happy to be alive at that point haha. I was thinking the H2R as a second bike :silly:

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
22 Jun 2015 06:18 #677698 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic Cylinders 2 & 3 not firing!
Was the car stolen or was it a DUI? You need a lawyer. The insurance Co. won't give you much for the bike. You need to go after the owner and or driver for punitive damages. Sometimes a small settlement is come to to avoid court.
Steve