Cam chain

• missionkz
  • Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
More
13 Jun 2015 13:36 #676437 by missionkz
Cam chain was created by missionkz
I don't think I need to replace the cam chain yet but at 37,000 miles, I will some day.

Has any had first hand or second hand experience with a cam chain failure using one with a master link?
I don't know a single person who has had a cam chain with master link failure nor do I know anyone that has had a cam chain failure.

What is the consensus here about this?
I can't imagine a modern, well made master link breaking, nor one with a do it yourself peened set of pins, but.... !!??

Bruce
1977 KZ1000A1
2016 Triumph T120 Bonneville
Far North East Metro Denver Colorado

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Jun 2015 13:59 #676438 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Cam chain
No first hand experience, but if you use a chain that is not the endless type I recommend you use one that must be peened, not anything with a master link clip (if they even make such a thing), and I would have it professionally peened using the proper tool.

I say this because I had a master link clip disappear from my drive chain for no reason. It was facing the correct direction, it was installed correctly, it never rubbed on anything, etc. I lube my chain about every 300 miles and during that maintenance I saw the clip was gone. The master link was still perfectly in place and the removable side plate had not shifted at all, but that clip wasn't there anymore. I can only assume that the clip fractured due to stress and fell apart. Not a big deal on the drive chain since I was able to replace the clip before any harm was done.

However, if that happened to a cam chain there's not only the risk that the cam chain would eventually come apart before the problem was discovered; there's the very high risk that the clip might end up causing damage to moving parts inside the engine. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
13 Jun 2015 14:19 #676440 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic Cam chain
I had one fail in the late 70's. Bent valves etc. I replaced it with a heavy duty one with a peen over master link. Did fine until after the wreck. I put in a stock chain until two years ago when I got Bossie back on the road. From what I understand, the new ones are a simi press fit. Being how difficult it was putting the master link on my 630 chain, I don't it's a issue anymore.
Steve

More
14 Jun 2015 09:35 #676523 by fordtruck
Replied by fordtruck on topic Cam chain
I have 10k miles on my cam chain with master link. It was the kind that you peen. I bought the tool to peen it and it's pretty easy.

'77 KZ1000-MTC 1075 kit. Stage 1 port

• Tyrell Corp
  • User
  • "You were made as well as we could make you"
More
14 Jun 2015 09:43 #676526 by Tyrell Corp
Replied by Tyrell Corp on topic Cam chain
I've done it both ways, endless and split the cases, or from the top with a link. They both work fine as long as the rivet is done right. I used a vice as an anvil and punch to peen it.

The 'auto' tensioners often stick on some models and can be mistaken for a worn camchain.

1980 Gpz550 D1, 1981 GPz550 D1. 1982 GPz750R1. 1983 z1000R R2. all four aces

More
14 Jun 2015 14:00 #676561 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic Cam chain
I used the masterlink type and never had a problem.

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.