Noisy kz550

• Pontiacdude210
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
11 Jun 2015 08:28 #676141 by Pontiacdude210
Noisy kz550 was created by Pontiacdude210
This isn't the first, nor will it be the last noisy kz post. I've been reading them for days now. Sorry to rehash here, but I'm not sure what I'm dealing with.

Started the season out by changing oil, new air filter, new set of sprockets and drive chain. It ran and sounded great the whole time I was working on it.

The first day out, after a few miles, it started making a tick. It rises with the tach. It's noisy enough that with full gear on, I can hear it. When I started it up later though, the tick was gone. Warmed up, it came right back.

I tried to pinpoint it with a long screwdriver, to no avail. I poked the jug, both cam covers, the lower engine case, the transmission, in multiple locations, and all I hear is a mechanical whir. The cam chain housing I thought I heard it, but it was very quiet there, and could be ambient noise from elsewhere.

So I've ordered new exhaust gaskets. I had the right side exhaust off 3 years ago and don't remember the gaskets at all. The p.o. pulled the exhaust to paint it, and I didn't remember finding gaskets, Just the 2 metal flanges and the big washers the bolts go through.

I ordered a premium oil filter. Maybe my cheap one the bike doesn't like.

And I ordered a manual cam chain tensioner. That job scares me a lot, I always hear about people dropping parts into the crank case, or not setting the tension right. But I'd rather not have to tear the bike down to split the case either. Directon or reassurance on that job would be appreciated.

So, am I on the right track?

-1980 KZ550C Viper Red, Black Fenders

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
11 Jun 2015 08:40 #676145 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic Noisy kz550
Cam chain makes a rattling noise. A tick could be a exhaust gasket. They normally stick to the head when crushed. It could also be a weak valve spring. That might clear up after a few miles. Be careful with the manual adjuster. Don't tighten it too much. Just enough for the chain noise to go away.
Steve
The following user(s) said Thank You: Pontiacdude210

• Pontiacdude210
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
11 Jun 2015 08:51 #676146 by Pontiacdude210
Replied by Pontiacdude210 on topic Noisy kz550
It's a very consistent tick noise when warm. I don't really get any rattling sound at all. I'm just getting confused as to why it started now. The exhaust has been relatively beat up the whole time I owned the bike, nothing special to make it start leaking now. Should I perhaps not worry about the cam chain adjuster unless it starts rattling? Also, do these engines prefer conventional or synthetic oil? My sister has an OHC Neon that ticks unless it gets synthetic.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
11 Jun 2015 09:00 #676148 by SWest
Just recently I had a ticking that turned into a chirping. :ohmy: Head gasket? CRAP. I looked at the exhaust flanges and one was loose. Tightened and the noise went away. :whistle: Can you put up a vid? Might be something stupid. :pinch:
Steve

• Pontiacdude210
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
11 Jun 2015 10:17 #676154 by Pontiacdude210

There's a YouTube link. The sound is definitely audible in the video, although the acoustics are terrible.

I did notice a little rattle today when I started it up. Just briefly though. Guessing pulling the carbs and doing a cam chain tensioner is in my future. Does the motor have to be anywhere specific to set the tension with a manual aftermarket tensioner?

I need to pull exhaust pipes to have them reprinted properly anyway, so I'll just go ahead and redo the gaskets while they're off.

Is there a kind of oil these motors run better with? Since I'm changing the filter again, I figure I might as well go with some premium oil.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
11 Jun 2015 10:33 #676156 by SWest
Could be the carbs are out of sync. When I picked up the 550 shaft the carbs were full of puke. I cleaned them and put the bike on my gauges. The two center ones were even but 1+4 were higher, much higher. It ran like a rattle trap. I adjusted the pilots and synced them. It purrs like a kitten. If it won't sync then a valve adjustment is called for. There is another member that has all the information you'll need in his signature. There is a warning you should heed to. You should have a manual too.
Steve

• Pontiacdude210
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
11 Jun 2015 11:09 - 11 Jun 2015 11:10 #676168 by Pontiacdude210
I hadn't thought about out of sync carbs being noisy. I'll have them balanced if the problem persists. It's throwing me off that this comes out of nowhere. It always ran so well. It used to have just a quiet little valve noise.

I'm hoping that the few non-teardown fixes listed here are going to do the trick. I'll get my new cam chain tensioner, oil filter, and exhaust gaskets in and then if it's still noisy, take it in for tuneup on the carbs. Could plugs be making that sound also? I do have a service manual for the bike, looks really old. Thanks for all the prompt help. I really appreciate it.

Byyyyyy the way, does anyone have clear, English instructions on how to install a manual aftermarket cam chain tensioner? I've been searching all over the forum all day and my search skills such.

Last edit: 11 Jun 2015 11:10 by Pontiacdude210. Reason: Train of thought derailed

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
11 Jun 2015 11:15 #676170 by SWest

• Pontiacdude210
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
11 Jun 2015 11:59 #676175 by Pontiacdude210

swest wrote: What's wrong with the old one?
Steve

There was a little rattling going on when I started it today. I would rather be safe knowing the tensioner is working, I've read horror stories about the automatic tensioner.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
11 Jun 2015 12:54 #676180 by SWest
If it is the same as the 550 I have, it seems fool proof. If it stops working, it may be the guides are worn beyond the service limits.
How many miles on your machine?
Yes there were recalls but I don't know about this particular bike. Perhaps one of our other members will chime in to help. If you do use the aftermarket one, be careful. It is possible to tighten it too much and damage can occur.
Steve

• Pontiacdude210
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
13 Jun 2015 12:19 #676429 by Pontiacdude210
Hey, when you're right, you're right. I'd dare say I had an exhaust leak.

[IMG

It appears to have been leaking out here heavily by the carbon deposits here. Also, there were no brass rings on either side, I have only had one side off before. The nuts that hold the collars on couldn't really even be called finger tight on 6/8 of them,

[IMG

This might have been leaking too. Might be time for new pipes.

I adjusted the idle up, The little rattle cold may have been from the idle being so low cold that the tach read 0. It's not clattering cold anymore idling just above 1k.

Also I changed the oil. It seems to like the correct oil better, I ripped the filter apart and inspected the drained oil. No shavings whatsoever. Excellent.

I'm not sure if it needs the cam chain tensioner I bought or not. Is it better to be safe than sorry, or am I more likely to tension it incorrectly if I start ripping it apart?

[IMG

Thanks for ALL the help so far! Looks like time for new pipes!

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
13 Jun 2015 14:24 #676441 by SWest
Good for you. :woohoo:
Be careful with it and you'll be fine.
Steve