Spark plugs

More
09 Jun 2015 13:17 - 09 Jun 2015 13:33 #675903 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic Spark plugs

swest wrote: That's news to me. Got a link? Meanwhile our engines suffer an early death. Wait, they're obsolete, I get it now, NOT!
Steve

Flex fuel vehicles can't run the high compression necessary to get full output from E85.

There are probably many links. Try Wikipedia for Ethanol Fuel.

Even nitromethane has less energy than gasoline, but we certainly wouldn't call that a "weak" fuel. It's about how it's used and whether the engine is designed to use it. ( Nitromethane's advantage is not only from using higher compression, but also because it is highly oxygenated, thus requires less outside air than gasoline.)

And of course, dragsters use alcohol as a race fuel, so we know it's useful for horsepower.

The early death is the real concern. It's not cheap to make fuel systems handle ethanol, but it's not new. I thought I read model T's could run on ethanol as that was a common fuel back then.

Kz's have the misfortune of being designed in the 100% gasoline days.
Last edit: 09 Jun 2015 13:33 by loudhvx.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• SWest
  • Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
09 Jun 2015 13:32 #675905 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic Spark plugs
Well, I have stock KZ pistons in it now. 8.5/1 compression. It would handle this gas better with 10.25/1 Wiseco's I plan on putting back in? That makes it a bigger priority. :woohoo:
Steve

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.