Smoke from the crankcase breather hole

More
05 Jun 2015 19:20 #675449 by element303
Smoke from the crankcase breather hole was created by element303
hey guys. i have an issue with my bike that drives me nuts. i have oil smoke coming from the breather at the crankcase. i guess it always smoked a little but with the months it got worse. its losing a lot of oil through it. if i drive for an hour, i have to refill roughly half a can of oil. the head is rebuild, the bike runs good. it might be the piston rings but i read in another forum about that issue and someone mentioned the cylinder head gasket. i replaces ALL gaskets about a year ago when i rebuilt the head. i do however have some oil coming from the head gasket at the side of the engines and the head bolts where not tight completely. i could tighten them more with the ratchet. any suggestions what to look for? i wanted to do a compression test next. i changed oil and filter 3 days ago. runs WAY better now. the old oil was almost like honey like. thick and heavy mass and black even though i kept refilling for weeks due the smoke. i dont know if that helps with the suggestion what could be the issue. i never had anything on the breather hole since i bought the bike. i installed a clear tube last week after the oil change to see if any oil runs back, but it just keeps coming out as pure smoke. thank you for any ideas.

Custom 1981 KZ750 rebuild project

[img

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
05 Jun 2015 19:33 #675453 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic Smoke from the crankcase breather hole
Doing a valve job over a worn lower end you can expect problems. Cheap oil can cause this too.
Steve

More
05 Jun 2015 19:58 #675455 by Barry2
Replied by Barry2 on topic Smoke from the crankcase breather hole
I concur . a valve job will raise the compression a bit and cause more blow by. Do a compression check and see if it is up to par. [/b]

1976 KZ900