So, what can I do to refurbish my transmission?

More
01 Jun 2015 22:25 #674925 by DSummerlin
82 LTD 1000. Second gear is suffering. Popping to neutral, or worse, back to first. I've read about backcutting, and a few here have gone there. Wondering about repair options, gear replacement availability, personal experiences, etc. Thanks, I'm pretty grateful to have this resource. I just haven't been able to find much information on what seems to be a common issue. Thanks again.

78 KZ650
82 KZ1000 LTD
99 ZRX 1100

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
02 Jun 2015 05:39 #674947 by SWest
Find one on eBay, back cut second gear, both input and output shafts. Second is your power gear. Don't buy ones without the bearing caps. They are missing because they will show wear. Get one with a history, mileage etc. Inspect it as soon as you get it. If there are ANY problems, file a not as described case and get your money back. The last thing you want is to go through all the work only to find it's defective.
Steve
The following user(s) said Thank You: DSummerlin

More
02 Jun 2015 08:22 #674969 by rlcarter
i had the same problem with my 1980 kz1000 pulled the input and output shafts and sent them to performance pit stop they replaced the worn gears and undercut the rest i think it was 235 dollars

1980 KZ1000 G w/carbs..

More
02 Jun 2015 15:34 #675021 by DSummerlin
Replied by DSummerlin on topic So, what can I do to refurbish my transmission?
OK. rlcarter's experience sounds like my best option. Watched some videos and I at least understand what's going on in there now (a little), but wasn't really inspired to back cut the gears for use on the street. I've not really seen gear replacements offered for sale, (besides used on fleabay as mentioned by Steve) but I guess the specialty shops have a line on those special parts.

78 KZ650
82 KZ1000 LTD
99 ZRX 1100

More
02 Jun 2015 16:19 - 02 Jun 2015 16:20 #675028 by 650ed

Rendering Error in layout Message/Item: Kunena\Forum\Libraries\BBCode\KunenaBBCodeLibrary::renderEbayLayout(): Argument #1 ($ItemID) must be of type int, string given, called in /home/kzride5/public_html/libraries/kunena/src/BBCode/KunenaBBCode.php on line 314. Please enable debug mode for more information.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
02 Jun 2015 21:33 - 02 Jun 2015 21:38 #675060 by SWest
I bought a complete set for a KZ 900 for $69. 30,000 miles on them. Back cut them myself and am running them now. I'd look for something that will fit your machine.
Steve
Last edit: 02 Jun 2015 21:38 by SWest. Reason: spelling

• Street Fighter LTD
  • TURBO, Its Better to be Blown than Injected
More
03 Jun 2015 08:09 #675104 by Street Fighter LTD
Replied by Street Fighter LTD on topic So, what can I do to refurbish my transmission?
Go to APE --KZ zone you will be overwhelmed . Look at the shift aid bushing for 15 bucks. It will help and is cheap . You don't need everything APE sells , but pick and choose what makes sense for you.
Another source is Redline , and Joe at Pitstop who sells APE parts as well.
I had my trans back cut around 1980 and its still working fine. Im not warm and fuzzy with a backyard approach to doing my own back cutting . A good machinist who will match all surfaces perfectly is worth his weight in gold. My proof is in peace of mind that Im hammering mine with 3 time stock horsepower and torque and It looked perfect during a rebuild 3 years ago, so to me its money well spent.
Just my 2cts
Dave B) B) B)

Original owner 78 1000 LTD
Mr Turbo Race Kit, MTC 1075 Turbo pistons by PitStop Performance , Falicon Ultra Lite Super Crank, APE everything. Les Holt @ PDM's Billet Goodies . Frame by Chuck Kurzawa @ Logghe Chassis . Deep sump 5qt oil pan. RIP Bill Hahn