Stator grommet. Sorry to ask again...

More
29 May 2015 20:41 #674474 by brich
So I bought a new stator with the grommet already attached to the wires. Put it on with no permatex except a little to hold the new gasket in place. Had a pretty bad leak. Took it back off, and just got my new gasket. As I am looking at the wires going through the grommet, there is no shielding sleeves on the wires like the original. I can slide the grommet on the wires pretty easily. Gonna assume that's my leak. So ... What to do? Permatex them on both sides of the grommet? Or is that asking for trouble? I want to get this sucker right this time. I miss riding!! Any advice, suggestions?

1975 Z1 900, 1075 wiesco kit, web cams, smooth bores, dyna ignition, denco pipe, lester mags, wicked bad rotors, custom gauge face plates .. not much stock left.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
29 May 2015 21:28 #674479 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic Stator grommet. Sorry to ask again...
Don't ever use Permatex. That SHT is murder to get off. I'd use Crazy glue on the wires to seal them then I fill the outside channel with High Temp Silicon. Make sure the surfaces are clean.
Steve

More
30 May 2015 12:28 #674525 by brich
Replied by brich on topic Stator grommet. Sorry to ask again...
Thanks swest. I took your advice and cleaned everything real well, hit it with some glue where the wires go through, and once it cured filled the channel with some hi-temp oil resistant silicone. Gonna wait for that to cure, reassemble and give it 24hrs before I fill with oil. Fingers crossed. Thank you for your advice.

1975 Z1 900, 1075 wiesco kit, web cams, smooth bores, dyna ignition, denco pipe, lester mags, wicked bad rotors, custom gauge face plates .. not much stock left.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
30 May 2015 13:05 #674528 by SWest
Put it together now. You want everything to compress. I don't wait. I put it together using RTV on the case side only. The best thing to happen is it heats up while curing. Put some around the inside where the wires go through too. Don't glob it on the gasket. Just make it tacky being careful of not getting any in the bolt holes. If some got in there fish it out with a stick or swab. You don't need to get it all out, you just don't want it to pressurize and crack the case.
Steve

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
30 May 2015 13:10 #674529 by SWest
I just looked at your pic again. The reason the grommet is sticking up is so when it is compressed, it will be tight around the wires. Once it gets hot, it will vulcanize and not leak. Put it together and run it.
Steve
The following user(s) said Thank You: brich

More
31 May 2015 16:08 #674660 by brich
Replied by brich on topic Stator grommet. Sorry to ask again...
Thanks for all of your advice Steve. I so far ... Am leak free! I put about 20 miles on it yesterday. Time to clean it up and enjoy some early summer riding.

The following user(s) said Thank You: SWest

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
31 May 2015 17:12 #674665 by SWest